Non-itchy rash in preschooler

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Non-itchy rash in preschooler

My 4y old child developed a non-itchy rash about 2wks ago. It starts as a red tiny bumpy spot which then flattens, becomes less intensely red (perhaps even yellowish), increases in diameter (from 1 mm to up to 7mm,majority around 3mm). It may loose its round shape (can be round but others are oval) edges are not clear and the whole surface of the rash seems bumpy. So far the rash is strictly limited to the trunk. The initial lesions are still present (less intense in color but perhaps larger in diameter).
She does not have fever or any other symptoms. Maybe she is a tiny bit more irritable but could be related to something else.
Her ped said it is not infection and suspects eczema. She is now on benedryl and topical cortisone for several days but new bumps are still developing and old ones are not disappearing. I have eczema myself and this does not resemble mine at all. Nothing has changed in her diet.

Please advise.
Without examination,confirmation of a diagnosis is tough but it can be pityriasis rosea. Pityriasis rosea is a common human skin disease which presents as numerous patches of pink or red oval rash. The rash may be accompanied by low-grade headache, fever, nausea and fatigue and sometimes by itching.

No treatment is usually required. In most patients, the condition lasts only a matter of weeks or months(upto six months)

If the rash persists then it will be best to get it evaluated from a dermatologist.Other possibilities have to be ruled out then.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Warm regards.

Avatar n tn
Thank you for the comment. I have googled pityriasis rosea images and the rash does visually resemble the condition. I will wait another week and then follow up with the pediatrician.