Nose discoloration

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Nose discoloration

I am a 52 year old male and have noticed that my nose is becoming a purplish color.  I've noticed this on elderly gentlemen and wonder what causes it.  I have been diagnosed with high blood pressure but have been able to control it with diet & excersice.  I do drink - average 3 drinks an evening - beer and wine.

Symptoms that you are having can be due to alcohol flush reaction. Alcohol flush reaction is a condition in which the body cannot break down ingested alcohol completely, due to problems in synthesis and genetic coding of the enzyme, acetaldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2)which is responsible for breaking down acetaldehyde, a product of the metabolism of alcohol.

Try to decrease the amount of alcohol that you consume and see if the symptoms disappear or not. Also keep yourself well hydrated after alcohol consumption and munch some snacks along with alcohol. If the symptoms persist then please get rosacea ruled out.

I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing or in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.