Dermatology Expert Forum
Obagi Blue Peel or something else better

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Hi Dr.  I was on accutane for 7 months, my face is clear now. I'm currently on the Obagi NuDerm Skin Care.  My skin is getting smoother, pores are a little less noticeable.  My Dr. recommended (at completion of accutane) either the Power Peel or Obagi Blue Peel.  Her nurse recommended the Blue Peel.  She has had it done.  I want my skin to be smooth without all these large pores.  I have some sun spots as well.  I have one "hole" on my cheek from a blackhead years ago.  The NuDerm seems to make this a little less noticeable.  I've been on the NuDerm for 4 weeks.  I am not red except on my neck. I started out using the Retin-a-micro with the blender once a day.  After 1 week and no redness or peeling she moved me to twice a day.  After another week and only minor redness on my neck she moved me to retin-a-cream still twice a day.  After another week, still no redness or peeling except on my neck she up'd the amount of retin-a-cream and using less of the blender.  After that week slight peeling some days, other days none.  She said it was probably due to all the Accutane and my skin was just going straight into getting better.

Now as far as my future treatments, what would you suggest in order to smooth my skin where the pores are not showing and take care of the sun spots?  

Would you advise the Blue Peel or something else?

Thank you for your advise.

Beth
Beth:

I'm a big fan of the Blue Peel, which is a variant of a trichloroacetic acid peel.  It seems to make pores much less visible, though of course, these changes are not permanent, and the procedure needs to be repeated once every 4-6 months for best results.  Microdermabrasion helps too, but of the two, I'd opt for the peel.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff