Dermatology Community
Oily Hair and "Old Man Head Smell"
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Oily Hair and "Old Man Head Smell"

My husband, 59, has oily hair and it has a odor that I call "old man smell".  His hair has always been oily, but it seems in the last few years it has really become a real oil slick.  The smell has also been noticed in the last couple of years.  Shampoos don't do a thing.  He can wash his hair and I can still smell the odor and the grease will return almost right away.  What is causing this and what can he do?
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1340994_tn?1374197577
Has he tried Nizoral shampoo yet?  Or he could add 1/4 tsp of baking soda to the shampoo.  Only do that once every 2 weeks at most.  Or instead he could rinse the hair with vinegar in water after he washes his hair.  Either of those should control oil and treat buildup.  The baking soda has a high pH and the vinegar has a low pH, so they work differently.  And make sure he is using enough shampoo.  I told my boyfriend he needed to use more just because his hair didn't smell clean.  It didn't smell bad exactly, but not clean.  Using more shampoo fixed it for him, but his skin is not oily at all.  
Blank
563773_tn?1374250139
Hello,
There is no medical condition as such which causes oiliness of the hair. I would suggest your husband to clean your hair frequently with a mild shampoo(you can use the ones for oily hair) and don’t apply any conditioner on the hair. Also he can shampoo twice during each wash and apply shampoo on the scalp without piling the hair on top. A good massage of the scalp is also helpful as it ensures an increased blood supply of the scalp and also takes away the oils of the scalp towards the hair.

It makes sense to avoid the use of conditioner as it also tends to make the scalp oily. when shampooing the hair, switch from warm water to cool water after you've thoroughly rinsed away the shampoo.The cool water rinse helps close the pores of the scalp and slow down the oil production. Please do consult a dermatologist if the symptoms persist.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank