One Itchy, peeling, sore nipple Male.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

One Itchy, peeling, sore nipple Male.

My left nipple is really itchy. The skin keeps peeling, and the place where the skin peels is starting to swell up, not sure if this is because it keeps itching or if its something more serious, this has been going on a while. My doctor gave me some cream but its only a moisturiser and I'm not sure its working. Can i get a 2nd opinion please.

Sam
It can be due to nipple dermatitis or eczema skin nipple. Allergic reaction is one of the important causes of eczema. Allergic reaction can occur to strong soaps, Solvents, chemicals, certain foods, food additives, plants, metals, cosmetics, even urine and faeces of some animals (dust mites).
For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone as dermacort), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide) which should always be used under medical supervision.  

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.
Thank you for the reply,

Is that possible in just ONE nipple? As the other one is fine. I've been several times, the doctor keeps telling me to put Sudacrem on which isn't working. He told me to get a Moisturiser which is called Aveeno, that is working a little, but it is still very itchy and if i itch, the skin sometimes comes off which leaves raw very sore skin underneath.

Should I be using a steroid cream? Shall I go back and tell him what you have said?

Sam
Nipple dermatitis and eczema can effect one nipple also. You can take non sedating antihistaminics like Claritin or Zyrtec. There are certain other non-pharmacological measures which are equally important. These are Lubricating the skin frequently, avoiding harsh soaps and cleansers, preventing scratching or rubbing whenever possible, protecting skin from excessive moisture, irritants, and rough clothing, maintaining a cool, stable temperature and consistent humidity levels, limiting exposure to dust, cigarette smoke, pollens, and animal dander & Recognizing and limiting emotional stress. Continue using Aveeno that your doctor has prescribed and do not use any steroid cream without a doctor’s prescription.