One dry foot?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

One dry foot?

The skin on my left foot is perfectly normal...soft, supple, healthy looking. My right foot is dramatically different, and has been so for at least 3 years. The sole is consistently extremely dry. The skin feels thick, and will crack unless I keep up a constant barrage of Vaseline-type ointments. It is worse on the right side of the sole, but affects about 80% of the sole to varying degree. Once the skin cracks, it is quite painful and requires a week or so to heal. The cracking is painful enough that I seldom forget to apply the ointment each morning before I put on my sock.

My wife thinks it must surely be some sort of Athlete's Foot problem, but there is no rash, no itching, and it never travels to my other foot and is never painful except when the skin cracks.  Any help is greatly appreciated.......many thanks!
I cannot confirm anything without examination but it can be lichen simplex chronicus. Lichen Simplex Chronicus is seen in people with eczema.

It is treated like chronic eczema by decreasing water and soap contact, and applying emollients. Topical steroids are almost always needed to control the symptoms. You can use mild steroid cream like Dermacort and if the symptoms persist then high potency steroids and oral steroids may be needed.
My sincere advice would be to consult a dermatologist to get the diagnosis confirmed. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers