Dermatology Expert Forum
Other Treatment Options

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Other Treatment Options

I have written a few times this year regarding recurrent folliculitis.  I first got folliculities in Summer 2000 after spending serveral weeks at a lake.  Since then I have dealt with it on and off.  In early Jan. of this year I got 2 cysts at the base of my penis and I typically have small red bumps around my swimsuit area sometimes on my legs and arms.  In Jan. my doctor put my on 30 day supply of dioxoclicine, Bactroban nasal for 60 days, and continue to wash with Phisohex for several months.   Up to about a week ago - I thought I finally was over it.  I now have a small cyst on my inner thigh, where the grion and leg come togehter, and 2 other red bumps in the swimsuit area.  

What is next?  I want to stay aggressive and get this while its or appears suppressed.  Since I have been dealing with it for a while I can tell that bactoban nasal seems to work as a suppresent, last summer I was on an extended Rx for bactoban nasal and when I stopped it flared up.  But Bactoban nasal is only suppressing - what other options are there?  Does Bactroban Nasal have a monopoly on this?  What else can I try intra-nasal, or anything at all that I have not tried yet that might be effective?

Thank you.
I don't think there is anything else.  In fact, I think it's fortunate that the Bactroban even works as well as it does to suppress the outbreaks.  Bactroban is safe and innocuous, as is PhisoHex.  Oral antibiotics would work but obviously are not suitable for long-term use.  I can't think of anything else which would abolish the bacteria forever.

Sooner or later, in my experience, the condition just stops in most people.  I don't know when that will be, but when it does and you you stop the Bactroban, it won't come back.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Its safe to stay on the Bactroban nasal?
Yes.  As long as you want.  ASR
Is there something besides Bactroban that I might try?  It seems to do some suppression, but I am coming up on 2 years since all this folliculitis started and I want to keep trying.  Still hoping this fades soon.  Things are not bad, but just not gone, so I am still a bit disappointed... Thanks
Ah, but there is one thing you forgot to try.  It is colloidal silver.  And it does seem to be helping my folliculitis.  I have it terrible all over my back, chest and arms.  I am a clean person so don't know how I got it.  But, we have tried everything and the only cream is bactroban and then the oral way is colloidal silver.  Make sure you get dark yellow 1100 ppm coilloidal silver.  Sometimes brown.  The colorless kind is not the real deal.  Just take it sublingly a few times a day or a couple and drink lots of water.  In the old days, the wealthy ate from silverware and silver goblets , etc. and were rarely sick.  That is where the term "born with a silver spoon in your mouth" came from.  It kills bacteria, viruses, and fungus and none of which can become resistant to it.  The term "blue blood" comes from the fact that the blood will get a bluish color after a certain level of silver gets into it.  People used to put silver dollars in milk, etc. to keep it from turning.  Well, hope that gives you a bit of info on colloidal silver.  It is a second immune system in a bottle.    By the way, colloidal silver is non-toxic and what is not used is excreted through the feces.  One cannot overdose.