Oval rash - dull red outline and clear inside

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

My son has this oval shaped rash on his neck. It is a dull red that forms just the outline and the inside is clear. It was a few earlier but now there are many and the ovals have enlarged. What could it be due to???
One possibility for such a rash can be pityriasis rosea. The other possibilities are of granuloma annulare and ringworm or nummular dermatitis if the lesion is itchy. Pityriasis rosea is a common human skin disease which presents as numerous patches of pink or red oval rash. The rash may be accompanied by low-grade headache, fever, nausea and fatigue and itching. Topical and oral steroids are needed. Water, sweat, and soap may cause irritation and should be avoided in the disease. Topical zinc oxide and calamine lotion are useful for pruritus.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you for your reply.

Would Selsun work on this? And how soon should I see results. Someone recommended I use Selsun for 7 days and today is the 5th day and though the marks are lighter they are still around.

There has been no itching at all.