PLEVA RELATED TO CHICKEN POX VACCINE???

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

PLEVA RELATED TO CHICKEN POX VACCINE???

MY 9 YEAR OLD HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH PLEVA.  THE RASH SHOWED UP ALMOST EXACTLY 2 WEEKS AFTER HAVING A VARICELLA (CHICKENPOX) BOOSTER SHOT.  I THOUGHT AT FIRST IT WAS CHICKENPOX BECAUSE OF THIS.  WE WENT TO A DERMOTOLOGIST AFTER FIGHTING THIS FOR OVER A MONTH AND THE BIOPSY CAME BACK AS PLEVA.  I AM JUST WONDERING IF THERE IS A POSSIBLE RELATIONSHIP OF THIS CONDITION TO CHICKENPOX OR  THE VACCINE.  HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD A SITUATION SIMILAR TO THIS??  IT JUST REALLY SEEMS STRANGE TO ME, BUT I GUESS IT COULD BE COINCIDENCE.  

SMILEY
  • pleva (1 replies):
    please can someone answer me how long pleva skin conditi...[more]
  • Is pleva contagious? (1 replies):
    My Brother is recently suffering from pleva....his frien...[more]
  • PLEVA
    What is the difference between the acute and chronic pha...[more]
  • pleva (7 replies):
    pleva is a rare skin disorder I have had for 2yrs. now, ...[more]
  • PLEVA
    I have been diagnosed with PLEVA several years ago. I w...[more]
My son was diagnosed with PLEVA 2 months after receiving the chicken pox booster vaccine, spring 2007. He was 11 when diagnosed. Would love to compare notes, drug therapies with you.

melissabisme

I was diagnosed with PLEVA the day after I received the flu shot.  I have done some research on it and also went to John Hopkin's.  Vaccines may play a role.  Something to look into or ask your doctor to.  I checked medical websites and medical journals.
Dear Michelle933

Please share any info you can with me in regard to what the docs told you at Johns Hopkins. I an very interested to gather as much info as I can in regard to our bodies rejections/responses of these vaccines. I hope you are not in too much discomfort from the Pleva. My son has never had buring or itching with his diagnosis. I am happy to say that the therapies provided have lessened the impact of this disease. But we have not stopped therapy entirely yet.

Again, please keep us updated on your condition. It really helps to know others who are sharing in this strange disease. Best of luck to you.

melissabisme
I am so glad I found this site.  I was diagnosed with PLEVA right after my first daughter was born almost 3 years ago.  Now that I think about it, it was right after I got a flu shot.

hmmmmm
hey, also, does anyone know if any research organizations for PLEVA exist?  I run marathons and occasionally do fundraiser parties for other charities. I would love to raise some funds to possibly find a cure for this.  The thought of children going through what I am going through, breaks my heart.  My skin constantly feels like it's on fire.  I am scared beyond belief.

We need a cure.
I just received notification in my mailbox about response to my pleva question. (I don't know what took it so long)  My daughter was treated with erythomyicin for 3 months at a time for almost a year.  She also used a couple of different creams (one is biafine and the other I will have to call about if you want to know). I am happy to say that though she had it really bad for the first year, it wasn't as bad the second year and this year she only has mild breakouts (maybe 20 on her entire body).  We still have rx on the creams and antibiotics but haven't had to use them for about a year.  In our experience - the ABSOLUTE BEST therapy for my daughter was good old fashioned sunshine.  The more her skin was in the sun the better it began to look.  She completely cleared up in the spring and summer.  I understand that this condition can recur with a vengence and we pray that it won't in her case.  She has had multiple doctors visits for scoliosis related issues and a surgery and no doctor had any idea about pleva (only the dermatologist)  It is a very little known but scary condition.  I would be more than happy to talk to you about different things we tried.  I do believe that it is related to the vaccine and I would love to hear about your case.  Please feel free to email me at ***@**** if you would like to talk.  Best of Luck to you.

Smiley
I didn't realize I couldn't give an e-mail address.  If you have any other question for me, just post it and I will check this site every so often.  I would love to help if I can.  We dealt with this with my daughter for quite a while and have done alot of research. Most of all I understand the frustration and anxiety it can cause and would still like to learn more about this condition myself.  Just let me know if you want more information.  Thanks.

smiley
Hi Smiley, I just found this forum today and have been a member of another skin forum for a while. My daughter was diagnosed with Pleva at 4 yrs old. She had over 300 spots on her body. It was horrible, but she did get diagnosed within 2 weeks of the first spots. She took two rounds of zpak and a topical steroid cream and only had it for 6 weeks. We were very cautiously happy that the PLEVA left her body so quickly and to date has not returned (it has been 6 months). She is now due for vaccines for Kindergarten and I am terrified that this will bring the Pleva back. Have you heard anything more on this?

Thank you
Emmamae
i just turned 20 ,i think i might have pleva i've had this rash for about a month now and im worried. After going to 6 different doctors i went to a derm and he did a biopsy im supposed to get the results in 2 weeks and my derm thinks it might be pleva because i've gotten blood work done and everything came back negative. im scared cause nobody seems to know anything about this. will someone please write me and let me know if: you have this disease forever?, does it pop up when it wants?, does it pop up every months or every other month or once a year or what? i just want to know,somebody please help!!
I just read your post about PLEVA. My daughter has PLEVA as well. you say that he broke out 2 weeks after the chicken pox vaccine?? I thought the same thing!!  About a couple weeks after her first years doctors appt, she started breaking out. At that appt she had 2 different shots. The first being the chicken pox vaccine and the second the flu shot. I kept telling the doctors that i felt she had a reaction towards the vaccines. They told me otherwise of course, but just reading other peoples post it could be related. What do u think?
Does M-HD stay with the child for the rest of their life? My 4 yr old was just recently diagnosed with M-HD and I was told it usually only last about 2 years. Is this true? Or will we have to battle outbreaks for the rest of her life?
I was also diagnosed with Pleva almost a couple weeks after recieving the chicken pox vaccine. Doctors have told me that it was a mere coincidence. But I have been reading many posts on different websites, and alot of people have had this reaction to the same vaccine. I was 12 when I recieved the vaccine, and I am now 18  and still suffer with this embarassing disease. I have been to numerous dermatologists who have told me to google and see what I can find on it. I have tried all medications and creams, and none of which have worked. The only thing I have found to work for me is going to the tanning bed several times a week, and it dries up the lesions. I know it is risky, but it is the only thing I have found to clear it up in the least bit. I have also been told kids can grow out of it, but I am now an adult and have lost all hope. I really hope you can find something, unlike me, I really feel for you.
I just found this forum today. My daughter was just diagnosed with PLEVA week ago. She is 5 y old now. She was treated for egzema, herpetic leasions for  4 weeks before that. We are using topical steroids and antibiotic creme, which doesn't help at all. We suppose to start light treatment soon. I hope it will work. Can you tell me if zpak worked? Is your daughter free of symptoms?
I have a 17 month old son who was just diagnosed with PLEVA. It has only been two weeks since his first spot appeared and he already has hundreds on his body.  His first spots came 4 weeks after he received the Chickenpox vaccine.  I sure I will never know for certain whether the two are linked but at this point in time I am extremely regretful that I had him get this vaccine.
look into the mayo clinic
Hello all,
My 8 year old daughter just got dx with this disease I understand that it is very rare. The Dermotologist that diagnosed her is A-1 in his profession and as a Doctor. He reached out to his peers for treatment recommendations (still waiting). Could anyone give me ensight as to what is expected, will her skin go back to normal, will I have to continue long term meds, jams anything else that could ease my thoughts and minimize my worries. Where should I start, what should I look for?  Thanks sincerely, uneased heart