Dermatology Expert Forum
PRP
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

PRP

Dear Dr.,

Thank you for taking this question.  My wife has been suffering for 2 years with PRP (Pityraisis Rubra Pilaris).  We've chased all sorts of treatments with nothing lasting very long.  Do you know whether Aldara could offer some hope?  I understand that it was originally for genital warts but some skin cancer patients have had some success.  Any thought and comments about this or any other treatment would be most appreciated.  Thank you!!!!
Related Discussions
242489_tn?1210500813
I have no personal clinical expereince with this condition, which is often quite severe.  The treatments mentioned in the literature inclide retinoids (derivatives of Vitamin A), and medications used to suppress the immune system, like methotrexate.  These have potential side-effects, but in expereinced hands can be used safely and effectively.  Treatment is chronic, if course, as is the condition itself.  I am not aware that Aldara has been used.  It would be cumbersome, since PRP affects most of the body, and Aldara comes in small packets--it's hard to see how it could be used on a widespread area of skin.

I would find a doctor knowledgeable in the treatment of this condition, presumably at a major medical center, and go for a consultation.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers