Dermatology Expert Forum
PRP

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

PRP

Dear Dr.,

Thank you for taking this question.  My wife has been suffering for 2 years with PRP (Pityraisis Rubra Pilaris).  We've chased all sorts of treatments with nothing lasting very long.  Do you know whether Aldara could offer some hope?  I understand that it was originally for genital warts but some skin cancer patients have had some success.  Any thought and comments about this or any other treatment would be most appreciated.  Thank you!!!!
I have no personal clinical expereince with this condition, which is often quite severe.  The treatments mentioned in the literature inclide retinoids (derivatives of Vitamin A), and medications used to suppress the immune system, like methotrexate.  These have potential side-effects, but in expereinced hands can be used safely and effectively.  Treatment is chronic, if course, as is the condition itself.  I am not aware that Aldara has been used.  It would be cumbersome, since PRP affects most of the body, and Aldara comes in small packets--it's hard to see how it could be used on a widespread area of skin.

I would find a doctor knowledgeable in the treatment of this condition, presumably at a major medical center, and go for a consultation.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff