Painful, Pimple-like Bump on Head

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Painful, Pimple-like Bump on Head

Hi there.  I'm a 30 y/o female, who, over the course of a month has noticed a pimple-like bump show up on my head.  It's the size of maybe a B.B. and starts out painful.  As I continue to mess with it, I know, bad thing to do, it eventually crusts up and go away, only to return in the same spot a couple of days later. From what I can see by looking at it, it's either a pink or a fleshy color.  Not red, that I've seen.  I've got an appt with the doctor on the 5th for something unrelated, but I thought I'd mention this to him.  Think it'll be ok to wait another couple of weeks?  I'm concerned about skin cancer.  What do y'all think?

Well the symptoms are not suggestive of skin cancer.The other possibilities are a boil,sebaceous cyst or a picked hair follicle.Boils are caused by infection of the hair follicle by staph aureus. Bacterial skin infections can be spread by shared cosmetics or washcloths, close human contact, or by contact with pus from a boil or carbuncle.

A boil generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus.

Apply warm compresses on the boil and keep the area clean.Drainage of the boil is done only when it becomes soft and forms a head.Take some over the counter pain reliever and apply local antibiotic like Neosporin or mupirocin.If the symptoms still persist thn pls consult a doctor for examination and antibiotics prescription.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.

Thank you very much for your response.  I never did think of putting a warm cloth on the bump; I will try that.  I will keep you posted.

Thank you!
This helped me out I hope it goes away its very painful for me.