Painful Anal Area Rash
I have a terrible anal area rash that is spreading and very uncomfortable. It is swollen and red. I have recently moved to Hawaii and am spending a lot of time in a bathing suit. I first noticed the rash soon after I was sitting in the sand/coral beach and getting alot of it stuck in my anal area. I have had yeast infections in the past in the vaginal area but do not believe it to be this. Could the coral have caused it?It has been a week now and it is spreading and getting worse.Any suggestions?

A yeast or a fungal infection is likely the cause. This is mainly due to the long periods spent in wet bathing suit. Fungi thrives in wet or damp places. Diagnosis would be skin scrapings of the affected lesions and viewed under the microscope. Are there other signs or symptoms present? There are plenty of over the counter antifungal medications but it would be best to have it evaluated by your doctor to rule out other causes.

Keep the area clean and dry. Avoid manipulating the lesion to prevent secondary infection.  Take care and keep us posted.

There could be several causes for the symptoms you are having. You should reconsult with your doctor to rule out the following possible causes -

'Perfumes, chemicals, or dye on toilet paper can cause an allergic reaction.

Moisture from sweat or diarrhea may cause itching. If the anal skin stays wet, the skin begins to break down.

Some foods irritate the anus when they are expelled during a bowel movement. The most common culprits are caffeine, chocolate, beer, nuts, dairy products, and spicy food.

Infections such as pinworms, yeast, and genital warts can cause itching.

Hemorrhoids, which cause painful swelling of blood vessels in the anal area, can cause itching.

Cancer, in rare instances, may be a cause.'

Therte are certain factors which predispose to the risk of developing anal itching as a symptom.

'Factors that put people most at risk for anal itching are as follows:

Diabetes

Recent antibiotic use

Chronic dry skin conditions such as psoriasis and seborrhea

Profuse sweating.'

Do discuss these with your doctor and exclude any possible causes in your case.

Post us if you need any further information and let us know about how you are doing.

Regards.