Painful blister between toes

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Painful blister between toes

I have athletes foot and this afternoon my foot was itching a lot between my toes, I scratched it and now I have a hard painful swollen area between my toes, it itches and burns at the same time.  I have put some antiseptic cream on it but it is painful to walk on.  It looks like a large blister between my toes.  I also have noticed discoloration to all of my toenails, my big toenails are falling off and are painful with pressure too.  

How should I treat this?  

Do I just buy Lamisil or something or is this something for the doctor to take a look at?

you need to see the doctor. they will do a culture and possibly give you an oral antifungal. topical antifungal creams will NOT cure fungus that has spread to the toenails. there are many that say they will, but they do not work. it will get worse and hurt more.

you may need blood work to check your liver function before starting the antifungals too.

hope you feel better

Been to doctor today.  I have been prescribed an antibiotic cream because the blister burst and I have a red itchy and painful patch on the top of my foot.  He has also recommended I see the chiropodist and have the toenails removed fully as they are on their way off anyway.  Then we can treat the fungus.  They are reluctant with antifungal tablets because I have other health problems.  Liver function however is fine.
good to know you've been to the doctor. removing the toenails is a step in the right direction, i think. it will give you an opportunity to get going in the right direction with new growth.

good luck and i hope your feet mend well :)