Painful discolored nail

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Painful discolored nail

My thumb nail had a small blue/black mark in the middle of the nail a month ago, I thought it was ink from a pen and noticed it didn't wash off.  I vaguely remember smashing my thumb a while back but didn't have any marks and wasn't concerned.  Weeks later the line looks like a splinter inside the nail that has grown (almost to the end).  The cuticle area became red and the joint of my thumb was very painful and throbbing a few days ago.  The pain is gone but now there is another purplish mark covering 2/3's of the half moon crescent where the nail bed grows.  Could this be a symptom of something else or is it likely I injured my thumb?  I do take medication for a thyoid condition but otherwise consider myself to be in good health.  Any ideas??????  Thanks for your help.
-7 Comments Post a Comment
How are you feeling?
You would have probably injured your thumb and bleeding would have persisted, hence it has developed from small injury to splinter insider.
You can either have bleeding disorder or a cardiac disorder like infective Endocarditis.
I would strongly recommend you to see a hematologist and cardiologist for further evaluation.
It would help if you get bleeding parameters and 2D Echocardiography done.
Keep me posted.
Bye.
my name is Potosi806
I too also have a small bluish dot under my right thumbnail and now my nail is receeding from the middle. There is no pain involved, however I had cabg x 4, 3 steents amd a major mi.  I also take major meds to deal withconstant back pain and spasms of unknown orgin. Can you help?