Painful lump on leg
I have a painful sore on my thigh. It is raised and red and very painful to the touch. The redness spreads to the size of an egg. I had a similar lump about 2 inches higher about 2 weeks ago which has just cleared up but it has left a purplish mark on my leg. Any ideas about what it is? I live in a remote community and can not access a doctor for at least 3 weeks.
To me it sounds like some sort of cyst, could it be a boil or something?

you can apply damp heat (warm wet cloth) to the area and see if you can bring it to a head.
Give a call to your GP about it as well.
It can be a boil, cyst or erythema nodosum. Eryhthema nodosum results in reddish, painful, tender lumps most commonly located in the front of the legs below the knees.

Diagnosis is by physical examination and biopsy of the lesion. Other lab investigations like complete blood count, ESR,ASO titer, urinalysis, throat culture, intradermal tuberculin test, and chest x-ray may also be done. Please keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as triple antibiotic cream are very effective.

My sincere advice would be to consult a dermatologist to get the diagnosis confirmed. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thanks everyone! Ended up being a staph occolus? infection. Doc thinks I got it when I had a massive allergic reaction a month ago. Thanks for your help!