Painful peeling lips

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Painful peeling lips

My lips have been peeling continuously for the past month.  They are swollen, bruised, and feel like they're on fire.  The upside is that apparently the lip color looks great on me.  The down side is that they hurt.  The tissue around the lips is cracked, and the corners are the worst.  In the mornings, my lips (and surrounding damaged tissue) are covered with green stuff, and when I try to wipe it off, it feels like I'm peeling off live skin.  It's difficult to eat, brush my teeth, and even talk.  I've been keeping vitamin e on my lips, and I've tried Neosporin Lip Treatment, as well as other various chapsticks and lip balms, but everything burns when I put it on, including the vit. e.

I have already been to a derm about this, and he rx'd me a steroid pack, which I completed, but without much improvement.

Advice?

This could be a part of Cheilitis, which is a medical condition involving inflammation of the lip. Or a bad case of Chapped lips , a condition whereby the lips become dry and possibly cracked. It may be caused by the evaporation of moisture.

Lip balm can often provide temporary relief, though it should not be used extensively.  One should avoid licking their lips as saliva contains the enzyme amylase, which can damage the already compromised lip tissue.
Honey can be used on the lips as a natural remedy.

Cheilitis is associated with many conditions from Vitamin B12 deficiency, iron deficiency anemia, be a symptom of allergies.can also be caused by taking the (retinoid) drug Isotretinoin (brand name Roaccutane).

Applying protective paraffin-based ointment (such as Vaseline) or lip balms to the lips is normally very effective. Also take Vitamin B supplements.

If nothing works you can have a biopsy done to find out the cause.
ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapped_lips

Some causes of the symptoms you mention, could be lip biting, lip licking, Vit.B2 deficiency, smoking, overexposure to sun and ill fitting dentures. In extreme cases, this could be due to bacterial or fungal skin infection.

You need to drink plenty of water daily – around 1.5 – 3 litres per day and eat a balanced diet. Do not keep your lips dry; apply lip balm which contains sunscreen – preferably a medicated one.

If the symptoms still persist, consult your skin specialist or dermatologist.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Regards.
I found Abreva worked wonders.
Try CVS hemorrhoid ointment ... it worked for me ...you know I was desperate to try that, but I had tried EVERY OTHER lip healer.