Painful peeling skin on fingers.
My 15 year old sister has peeling skin on her index finger and thumb. It almost goes away in the summer, and just recently it got worse.
It gets aggravated when she washes dishes without her gloves, uses a rake for the yard, or even when it's cold.
She said it only hurts when the peeling gets down to the last layer of skin and it cracks.
We had it checked out by just a GP doctor and my mother is too cheap to take her to a dermatologist unless there's something really wrong.
Does anyone have any ideas?
There can be many reasons for this peeling of skin. It can be due to contact dermatitis and contact with harsh detergents, soaps and lotions. Sometimes cold, dry air can cause  peeling and dermatitis or fungal infections can also cause peeling.

Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. She can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. For mild-moderate symptoms a weak steroid may be used, whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid.

Symptoms can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin. During the day, hydrate and protect hands with a protective and moisturizing cream. At night, repair them with creams formulated from glycolic acid—a must for improving skin texture and tone. If still the symptoms do not improve then please get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist. Fungal infections and eczema have to be ruled out then. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.