Dermatology Expert Forum
Painful red bump in pubic area

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Painful red bump in pubic area
Hello,    a week ago I noticed a red bump forming at a hair follicle in my pubic area,  watching it over the course of four days it got larger and proceeded to form a pustule.

Concerned about it I made an appointment with my Doctor's office and visited the Nurse Practitioner there.   She believed it to be folliculitus or a simple pimple that would go away on it's own.

I asked for STD testing to set my mind at ease, eventhough the look of it does not appear to be related to that.

Now three days later having used hot compresses the pustule has popped leaving behind a yellowish ulcer and red irritated skin around it, it's is a little painful, I am cleaning with hibeclens and dressing with  iodine and neosporyn. . . however it doe not seem to have improved much if any in the last few days.

The NP said to give it a week before coming back however I am worried it may get even worse in the time being,  do you think I need an oral antibiotic or topical prescription gel?   What should I do for home care.   Please advise I am getting worried about this.

thanks.
Red, painful “bump” (papule progressing into pustule, and finally erosion/ulcer), centered by hair and surrounded by redness, swollen and warm on touch, is a description of advanced inflammation of hair follicle (Folliculitis).

Obviously, you have been diligent about keeping this lesion clean and treated by topical antibiotic (Neosporyn). If those measures haven’t led to recovery yet, it is indicated to prescribe oral antibiotics.  

Folliculitus is most often caused by Staphylococcus aureus infection. We have been seeing quite a few MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) bacterial infections recently. Therefore, ask your dermatologist and NP to take skin swab culture. Bacteriology tests will determine causative bacteria and their sensitivity to different antibiotics. That is essential in order to prescribe most effective oral antibiotic. Locally, if there is a hair coming out from inflamed follicle, ask NP to remove it, as well as residual pus.

Yours in Optimal Health,
Dr. Jasmina Jankicevic
the ulcer is small contained around the center shaft of hair on top of the red irritated bump,  should I continue to compresses?
I had an ulcer right where my vaginal opening was.. it was there for about 4 weeks. i was scared just as you are but it got better. and i had testing done too.. i would give it time use like a hot cloth and soak it with it or sit in the bath tub in hot water.. it will get better