Painful skin irritation at the coccyx area
Dear Dr. Kaur:

Thak you for your response to my question on 8/3/09 about a skin irritation that I have around the coccyx area.  Your response noted that it may be a Pilonidal Cyst. I went to the doctors last month when the area was very sore and terribly itchy.  I was informed that it was not a Pilonidal cyst it looked more like a skin rash/irritation due to the heat.

The bactroban did not help much, I keep the area clean and dry. with medicated powder and a paper towel and still the itching is terrible.  I now have the same painful itchy rash on the back of my knees.

I have been doing some research and am wondering if this could be Acanthosis Nigrican.  I am not a diabetic. If this is AN what would the treatment be?  The worst is the ITCHING.

Again, thank you so very much for your response.

LillianZ
I can understand your concern.But you see,acanthosis nigricans presents as symmetrical, hyperpigmented, velvety plaques mostly in the folds of skin.It is not itchy and is characterized by hyperpigmentation.From the symptom that the lesion bleeds and becomes irritated,I would suggest you to get intertrigo ruled out. An intertrigo usually appears red and raw-looking, and may also itch, ooze, and be sore.

Pls keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove.Avoid any kind of cosmetics.Topical zinc oxide cream like Sudocrem, Desitin are very helpful(apply with a paper towel and not directly with hands).Application of mild steroid cream like dermacort also helps.For the itching pls take some over the counter antihistaminic like benadryl or Claritin.In case the symptoms persist then antifungals may be needed.Pls consult a dermatologist in that case.

I hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.Kind regards.

Right now I have what seems like a pimple under my tail bone, but a rash that spreads down my cheek, and a bit up my torso...it's incredibly itchy...I clean it with peroxide and apply neosporin several times a day, but that only works for a few hours...I don't know what to do...please help!