Painful white spot on head of penis, has gotten bigger in size
This question is for Dr. Alan Rockoff:

i was have sex with my girlfriend of 2 years about 3 weeks ago, and during the act i had a sharp, intense pain in the left side of the head of my penis. i stopped the act and the next day noticed a small white spot under the skin of the head, and it was painful as it rubbed against my pants and or underwear. my girlfriend and i were both tested for STDs about a year ago and both got a clean bill of health, and we have been each other's only sexual partners in this time.

the irritation hasn't gone away, and the white spot has grown longer along the side of the head of my penis in the past 24 hours, after spending a night with my girlfriend last night. this has me freaked out, and i am worried there is something wrong. did i tear something? could i have somehow caught something?

please let me know as soon as possible.

This is a condition called balanitis.Balanitis is inflammation of the glans penis. Lack of aeration and irritation because of smegma and discharge surrounding the glans penis causes inflammation and edema.More common in uncircumcised males.

It is usually caused by poor hygiene in uncircumcised men. The inflammation can be due to infection, harsh soaps, or failure to properly rinse soap off while bathing.
One common organism associated with balanitis is a yeast known as Candida albicans.  Balanitis may occur because of excessive growth of Candida, due to moisture and warmth under the foreskin.

It can be treated by applying Miconazole, an anti-fungal medication.Most cases of balanitis can be controlled with medicated creams and good hygiene.

Inflammation has many possible causes, including irritation by environmental substances, physical trauma, and infection by a wide variety of pathogens, including bacteria, virus, or fungus—each of which require a particular treatment.

Retract the foreskin daily and soak in warm water to clean penis and foreskin. Apply bacitracin (not Neosporin) for pediatric patients if bacterial infection is suspected.
Apply topical clotrimazole for adult men with probable candidal balanitis.

If the symptoms persist, you would need to consult your doctor.

Let us know if you need any other information.

Regards.