Painfully itchy legs after shaving
I need help! About 12-24 hours after shaving (never right away), I develop and overpowering itch on the shaved areas (legs, armpits too, although the legs tend to itch the worst). This itch is so bad that I have woken up in the night reflexively scratching my legs until they bleed.

I've tried all the suggestions the internet has to offer. I've tried:
- nearly every shave lotion the market has to offer, including organic ones and regular body wash.
- nearly every razor the market has to offer; I use replaceable-head razors (Venus Divine) and I replace the head frequently.
- tried lotioning my legs after, and before  after showering with both Aveeno and St. Ives Intensive Healing
- tried using baby oil after, and before & after
- tried using tea tree oil and various other organic itch-calming treatments

None of these have worked

Once the itch starts, there is very little that will end it. I've tried:
- Regular and intensive lotions
- Eucerin anti-itch calming lotion
- Aloe Vera sunburn treatment (I thought the aloe or lidocaine in it might stop the itch)
- Benedryl (just in case it was an allergy to something in my shaving creams)
- OTC Hydrocortisone cream

Nothing works to stop the itch after it has begun. Pretty much all I can do is scratch and hope the itch ends before I scratch down to blood. It is agonizing and keeps me up at night. The same itch happens with Nair as well, but not hair-buffing although I could never get that to work to remove hair very well.

My doctor has no idea and just keeps saying "try a different shaving cream". He's not a very good doctor but I don't have a lot of insurance in-network options there. Has anyone heard of this? Do I have no option but to stop shaving?
After a horrible night of hours upon hours of insanely itchy and painful legs after showering and shaving around lunch time, I sat and read every single one of these replies. While I didn't find a cure all answer here, it actually was wonderful to know that i wasn't crazy or suffering alone. Anyone else I complained to about this problem just gave me a list of lotions to try and no sympathy. Sorry charlie, but i have tried just about every lotion under the sun.

This itchy legs phenomenon really only plagues me during the winter months. I am able to shave normally during the summer and use eucerin calming creme and all is well. I have a couple theories as to why this occurs, but no real answers. As others have mentioned, I think it has to do with the cold dry air drying out the skin, combined with shaving less often, there fore not enough exfoliation. And I believe the itchiness occurs as the hairs are trying to push back up through the skin. Which is why it is a few hours after the shave that it begins. Also, my leg hairs on the bottom part of my leg are thick and coarse and grow back extremely fast and in crazy directions.

The only solace I found during the bought was to get back in the shower and scrub like all heck with exfoliating wash and lufa. I believe that helped open up the hair follicles, so the hairs could push through easier. I then dried my legs and applied a crazy concoction of anything laying around I thought would sooth. consisting of: coconut oil, benadryl gel, aloe vera, tea tree oil, auquafor, and polysporin. mixed it all together and slathered it on, then topped it with tights and boot socks. ( as I find that when my legs get  cold and goose bumpy it intensifies) also, it added a barrier to the scratching.

The next day I went on amazon and ordered an electric shaver, an epilator and Nisim Kalo Post Epilating Lotion. No way I am I suffering though one more night of this. I just used the epilator (rotating dics pull the hairs out from the root, i didnt know before i read this thread) last night after exfoliating in the shower with hot water. It wasn't as painful as I was bracing myself for (i have never waxed my legs) not to say it felt good, but it wasn't anywhere as bad as the shaved leg itching. I am applying the lotion a few times a day, so far no itching, a little tender, a slight sunburned feeling of pain. now I will wait and see how bad the ingrown hairs are as they come back in (that was one of the biggest complaints on the reviews)

don't give up, you are not alone in your suffering!
I have read all these posts and I suffer with the same thing. I have suffered for about 6 years. I have given myself blisters and made myself bleed. I have changed my shaver many times, been to the doctors with no solution. I shaved not last night but the night before and my legs just started itching about half an hour ago, they never itch straight away. Please help me
This drives me nuts! Can I tell you how comforting it is that I'm not the only one? I just couldn't understand why everyone else's legs seemed so smooth and pretty, and mine are all red and bumpy and driving me crazy at night.

I soak epsom salts in olive oil, honey, and tea tree oil (only a few drops) and then I take a bit of that and a ton of coconut oil together, and rub that all over my body. It's the best thing that has worked so far, especially on my legs. It's not 100% guarantee for immediately after I shave. But when the combination of heat (whether from snuggling under a ton of blankets in the winter or because of summer's heat) AND shaving was making me cry it was so itchy, this became my life saver.

Not sure if this will help anyone else, but I read somewhere that organic apple cider vinegar helps with this condition (It has to be organic because it unfiltered and the "good stuff" is left in).  I have started using it daily.  I drink one tablespoon of it with a little honey and couple of ounces of water.  I have been doing this for about two weeks and I already see a huge improvement.  

I have also read that apple cider vinegar can be applied directly to itchy spots and I have done this as well.  It seems to help, but I think that drinking it is what is making the difference.  

Just like everyone else in this thread, I have tried everything under the sun!  Lotions, anti-itch creams, shaving, not shaving, waxing, razors.....the list goes on and on.  

I feel like between the organic apple cider vinegar and Eucerin Original Healing, Soothing Repair Lotion, I am definitely seeing some improvement.  If anyone tries this and has some success, please post.

Just wanted to add something that hasn't been said yet

I am a guy and have the very same problem every year, I have to shave for my swim team. I seem to be the only one on my team that cant stand it, the day after I shave the pain is almost unbearable. For the two weeks after I shave my mood is greatly affected and I am easily irritated, which is not my normal attitude at all.

My hair is really thick, even for a guy, so I thought that was it for the longest time but I'm pretty sure the intensity of what I feel cannot be solely as a result of that.

Also any help would be appreciated (:
I don't know if it makes any of you feel better, but I am an MD and had shaved my chest when I was in my early twenties, a little over 10 years ago.  My hair was bothering me so I decided to just trim it with clippers, expecting that it was the shaving and regrowth that caused the itchiness.  Wrong.  I believe it is the sharp hair ends caused by shaving.  I don't know if you have ever got a haircut and got itchy afterward because a few of the hairs got under your shirt, but I think it is the same idea.  Anyhow, I just trimmed my hair with clippers by less than an inch.  It got so itchy that I couldn't stand it, so then I waxed the worst parts.  The other parts were still itching so I ended up shaving.  As long as I shaved every day, I didn't itch.  But I was getting razor bumps and shaving my chest every day was just annoying and added to the time it was taking me to get ready.  I started to let it grow out about a week ago.  It started itching 2 days later.  I bought hydrocortisone cream (OTC) and that didn't help.  Today, I developed welts (urticaria) and it is REALLY itchy.  It is all I can do to not scratch.  I think if I start, I'll go down to the bone!  I might try something with Benadryl since I'm actually developing hives now.  Anyhow, I'm pretty sure it is related to the pointy hair ends we create by shaving.  With waxing, it is probably more the short, inflexible hairs that also stab at the skin (but itching isn't for a few weeks out because the hairs aren't as pointy and have to grow a bit longer than shaved hairs before they can stab).  Once hairs get long enough and aren't pointy, they can't stab any more which is probably why normal, long hairs don't itch.  I think the itching is just a reaction to irritation, which in the good old days ways probably caused by bugs, and our bodies making us scratch was a good way to make us get them off of our skin.  I guess I'll just suffer to some degree or another for the next few weeks.  Ah!
I'd prefer not to shave at all , I leave them fir weeks as its just painful it's definitely the hair coming threw that's the problem , waxing shaving both are same , I recon a procedure to stop hair growing  at all in the leg area , them machines or a professional procedure
Wow!  Thank you.  The itching drives me insane.  Didn't know so many others suffer.
I have the exact same problem... thing is I used to wax, and although I would have the benefit of waiting an extra week or two for the irritating itch, I would get more in-grown hairs, and wait till its grown to wax again. So I tried IPL laser, which meant i had to return to shaving between treatments, and happy to say i ended up with some clear patches, however i had to leave the procedure due to medical issues. As well as that, it was expensive! So now... I shave, and its irritating!!! I'll shave and a day later I am attacking my legs till they bleed, and its extremely painful!

I need a solution :( my legs look terrible, feel terrible! No idea what to do, i am so uncomfortable getting my legs out!

My hair also grows back so quick its unreal! Even when i shave, i just feel like its not completely done.
I have the same problem I have this absolutely excruciating pain and itch after I shave , I also use to have horrible eczema all over my body since I was a child I have this problem with dry itchy skin , as a kid it was so bad sometimes my mom took me to the hospital because she thought it was allergies. I would itch so bad sometimes it looked like I got hives, I was put on steroids any type of prescription possible nothing helped!!  One of my friends suggested coconut oil she gave me some of hers it's chunky , the packaging is a white jar with a orange strip it's at Walmart any local grocery store really . Any way so I gave it a shot I took some and mixed it with aveeno stress relief lotion and all my eczema is gone , but my itch is still there I am now doing laser hair removal because I'm just so fed up . I wash my sheets every three days and that has helped a little but honestly these things have helped but not cured !!! Does anyone know a subsitute for shaving creames ?? Or anything that could take this absolute painf burn or itch away ,if so please help i would really really appreciate it thank you
It might be that you have an allergy to demodex mites they live on everyone but some people have horrible reactions and these mites get overpopulated.  They live in hair follicles. You can try applying some tea tree oil in some johnsons baby shampoo and leave it on for awhile or mix with coconut oil at about 50% is what medical journalsvsay but i would reduce the amoumt of tea tree oilbto 25-30% for a larger portion on your body. It is strong.  People with rosacea sometimes have an overgrowth as well. Doxcycline at a low dose of about 40 mg will help reduce inflammation.  A good dermatologist can help you with that or even a family doc.  The same thing happens to me a lot over my whole body the tea tree oil helps!!  But i just had one of those leg shaving episodes and about went mad.  I put some antipersperant on  my legs applied 3-5 times today and its the only thing that helped.  Have never had the shaving leg itch before and it was awful.  I thought maybe i had poison ivy and my grandpa always said after a good soapybath to put antipersperant on and so i did. You could try that. Supposedly ammonium salts help found that on internet.  Also dont store razor in shower let it dry completely and keep it very clean. Also you could wash yourlegs really well with some chlorohexadine scrub basically surgical soap to keep any fungus or bacteria on your skin from getting started on your already irritated skin its pretty gentle  i think my soap is 2% i buy at drug store or online.  Hope that helps.  Demodex mites live on everybody its normal but some of us are very allergic to their cohabitation.  I am allergic to dust mites as well.  Ihope that helps.  Mites get more active at  night and also itching seems to be always worse at night too.  I dont know if demodex is my problem because i have bad bouts of itching a lot.  Its also good to have all three thyroid levels checked t3, t4 and tsh because itching can be associated with that.  My doc suggests i get more iodine in my diet as well.  Right nowmy thyroid is low so i am having lots of problems with itching.  Try the tea tree oil and antipersperant.  Really helps.  Fyi.  Melt coconut oil in microwavebefore adding tea tree oil and start at a lower percentage than 50%  (like 20-30%) because its going all over your body not on a tiny spot.  Also washing sheets and bedding. Pillows and pillowcases on hot and in hot dryer as well.  Feel better.
I have this problem too and I think I just figured it out.  You see, my itching stopped about a month ago when I was using the Quattro razors for women with a moisterizing strip.  I ran out of blades so I bought some disposable razors, a good pricey brand, and the itching was terrible right after I shaved.

I hope this razor will help others - I'm going to buy new blades today.  I was also told to exfoliate before shaving with a moisterizing scrub.  

Good luck to all!
My legs have finally stopped itching after much trial and error, so I just wanted to share what worked for me here in case it helps anyone.  I have a feeling that there are various causes for itchy legs so the solution will depend on your individual cause.

I came to this this thread about a month ago looking for answers because I was suffering random bouts of mad itchiness on my legs.  My bed was already encased (and made of latex foam anyway) so the mites-advice did not apply for me.  Eventually what worked for me were two things.  1) Shaving technique-I stopped going for that "close shave."  Now I just do one light swipe on each section of my leg.  Like so light it is hardly touching my skin, and I don't go back and re-swipe.  It might leave a few hairs but it feels so much less irritated, which is more important.  I also tried out different razors-for me, the simple single razor works best, while the triple-blade/replaceable head ones were aggravating my condition.  

2)  Dry brushing.  Whenever my legs would start to itch, I would use a loofah or dry brush (rather than fingernails) on them and exfoliate until they felt better.  I also made a practice of dry brushing a few times a day no matter what.  This has made the most difference; my skin feels much softer and happier now.  You can look up "dry brushing" online or read about it here: http://michellephan.com/blog/post/skincare-101-dry-brushing

As for products, I don't use many on my legs.  I use Aveeno body wash (scentless) when shaving, and AHA lotion (St. Ives Naturally Smooth) after, and that's it.  Aveeno has oat flour (said to be good for itchy skin) and AHA helps slough off your dead skin cells.  But I believe that the major changes explained above are what made the greatest difference.  

Good luck to everyone reading this thread who is hoping (as I once was) to stop their poor legs' suffering without just going hairy!
A couple months ago I was reading everyones post and could not believe how many people have the same problem. I too went to my doctor and I was given some perscription gel and was told not to save until the red bumps were gone...not real practicle in the summer. I did what she said and the bumps got better but the minute I shaved everything came right back, so I started trying different things and nothing was making a difference. While we were on vaction, I was using a gallon of distilled water to rinse my legs and noticed that my legs didn't hardly break out or itch. So I started thinking...could it be my water at home?? We have well water and my legs have only been this bad since we moved into this house, so when we got home my husband and I dumped a gallon of pool shock down our well (not the drains inside). We let it sit overnight and the next morning we turned on all the faucets to flush out the pool shock. The next day I decided to give it a try and sure enough my legs didn't start itching right away; although, I do still have to lotion up ( I use bath and body works and an anti-itch lotion) after and I use Cetaphil facewash while I am shaving. As long as I do this everytime, my legs are soft and very rarely ever itch anymore!
So I hope this helps someone out there!!  Oh and I would recomend if your going to shock your well like we did, do some research first. I know on some older wells and piping it could break something.
I've had this problem for years. I've tried everything most of you have have suggested and nothing works. I have come to the conclusion that it's not the razor, or the lotion, or the water, etc. but the way the hair grows back. I think it comes back thick and the skin pores aren't large enough for them, so that's why most of them become ingrown and/or infected producing bumps that itch. The only good thing to do would be to cut the hair leaving enough so the skin can't grow over them but I don't know how that's possible.
I'm hoping someone out there has a great solution. I'll keep checking once in a while.
I forget to add that I've been waxing for a while now and even then, when the hair grows back, for two days or so my skin itches like crazy! Exfoliating relieves the pain from the itch but it doesn't take it away. The good thing about waxing is that I go through this problem once a month (for two days) instead of every single day if I were to shave.
Hey all!

Like all of you, I am super glad to have found this thread! I am one of those folks whose legs are the only things irritated by shaving - the rest of me is fine. But my legs are sooooo not fine!! (It's interesting to note that I never had this problem before we got a dog last summer, who, it turns out, I am allergic to. I have been doing allergy shots which help a ton, but that hasn't affected my post-shave leg itch situation.)

I should probably do the encasement of bedding, that would be smart, but I wanted to let you all know about another solution I just found: chocolate waxing! I know, it sounds weird and/or made up - I wasn't sure what to expect, but was told that the chocolate wax is a lot better for sensitive skin than the wax usually used for skin removal.

I got my legs waxed on Monday. Right after the appt, I did get a whole breakout of hives on my legs, but I took a Benadryl & they went away within a few hours. Ever since then, no trouble!

I'm sure this won't be a solution for everyone, but wanted to offer my own experience for anyone else who might want to try it!

Thank God for this thread, I thought I'm the only one suffering from this! I've been waxing for years and never had problems until two days ago when I decided to shave my legs because I couldn't wait for my next waxing appointment - VERY BAD IDEA!!!

Since last night, I've had horrible itch all over my legs, I woke up in the middle of the night scratching like a mad(wo)man and couldn't go back to sleep. The itching doesn't happen during the day though so it could be true what most people here say about having allergic reaction to dust mites (my son has dust mite allergy).  So I would def try mattress and pillow encasings.

A few minutes ago (it is night time now but I haven't gone to bed yet), the itch started again and I couldn't stop scratching! I had to remove my skinny jeans and and put aloe vera gel (http://www.seifengalerie.de/shop/Gustav-Baehr-GmbH-Baehr-Aloe-Vera-Gel-nach-der-Depilation-200-ml), which was recommended by my aesthetician to cool down the skin after waxing. I tried it all over my legs and the cooling effect somehow helped to ease the itching (sans jeans or pants). So the theories about shaving against hair growth, hair growing in and not being able to get through the pores, shaved skin brushing against fabric, and temperature (cold weather and hot showers drying the skin even more) could be true.

Since I cannot do anything immediately, I would settle with the aloe vera gel, hoping it would completely get rid of the horrible itching.  

I would never shave my legs ever again! Btw, I exfoliated while in the shower today and it didn't seem to help much either.
I had this same problem to where almost immediately I would itch until I wanted to just rip my legs off... I now know what to do...
1) don't take more than 10 minute showers
2)wash your body and shampoo fast so your skin on your legs doesn't get too moist with the steam(steam=moist skin... That's why we are able to take off the dead skin cells/calluses on our feet when are feet are soaked in hot water or in the shower). If your skin is too moist you will be irritating your skin underneath the dead skin cells and irritating new skin is not good, even if you use a new razor it is not good...
3)shave fast and not hard, don't go over the skin too much
4) AGAIN, do not let it get too steamy in the shower, lukewarm water and 5-10 min showers, but still pay attention as to your shaving, don't let it get sloppy or you will shave to aggressively.
5)when you are done, rinse quickly and turn off the shower immediately, pat dry your legs.

Also, don't shave every day. Shave maybe 1-2 a week at the most. You need to let the dead skin cells collect on your skin, that is what keeps the moisture in. When you remove the dead skin cells with shaving and steam it makes your skin dry, irritated and the natural oils in your skin will be nonexistent.

I would only recommend exfoliating areas you do not shave or areas that don't bother you. You may also exfoliate your legs but only while they are hairy... The advice to exfoliate your legs after shaving is not good advice as it will strip away the dead cells and natural oils, plus irritate any new skin from the wash you just had.

Never never never put lotion on your legs if they are itchy, it is not natural and the chemicals will make your new skin react because new skin is sensitive to ANYTHING! So that is why it is VERY IMPORTANT to take short showers so you will not strip your legs of all the oil and dead skin. New skin is good, don't get me wrong, but you are not supposed to shave it or put lotions or creams on it.

Try this, and hopefully it will work. Remember shave less often, 1-2 times a week, maybe even once every week and a half(this is what I do)! if your husband doesn't like it tell him something you don't like about him.. Remember being beautiful is about being natural and not hurting your skin :)
Also use body wash.. It is just so the razor glides well... Don't use shaving cream as it is absorbed into your skin and irritates new skin, and it makes your skin too soft, thus when you shave you take off too much dead skin, thus irritating the new skin underneath with the shaving and the chemicals from the cream...
I have the exact same thing happen and scratching makes it worse so all I use is E45 works every time .
Use E45 works every time for me :)
I have been suffering from this aswel and I also have sensitive skin so have to use simple bodywash to shave but still the itching persists my dr also has not idea what it is and has suggested just to not shave i don't unless I need to but it doesn't do anything for my confidence so think I will try encasing my mattress and pillows and see if that helps
Just a hint, to stop bleeding when you itch your legs, use a rough towel and just rub it over the itchy areas. It cures the itch but without any bleeding. Hope this helps xx
I started with all over body itching about 10-12 years ago. Out of the blue. Never had a problem before. It lasted 9 months. I thought I was going to throw myself off a bridge.  Every so many years it starts up. I started about 2 weeks ago with it again. I am in hell. It was so bad Friday I called my dermatologist and told him you need to give me something because I am going insane. He prescribed me Gabapentin which is a nerve blocker. It does help about 50% but it makes me very tired and I work all day so I can't be tired. I itch everywhere. Head, neck, upper thighs, private area, arms, everywhere. I have no rash or anything just constant itching. I did believe it had to do with shaving or with the hair follicles but it is weird that I am itchy on my arms and my neck and head as I don't shave those areas.  I am completely baffled and so are my doctors. I wash my sheets every other day. I keep my skin moist as possible. I run a humidifier in my room.  I am at the end of my rope. I have taken a bath with tea tree oil and it helped temporarily but within hours the itching was back.  I had an episode about 5 years ago and my dermatologist started me on ultraviolet therapy and after a few weeks I stopped itching. I started the same thing again and no relief at all.  I know how frustrating this is and I feel for everyone as it is pure hell and no doctor seems to understand what it is or what causes it.
I feel like I just found a home! I have had this problem for the last 6-7 years, out of the blue just one day uncontrollable itching, I thought I was all alone!! Nothing I have tried works for too long including Tend Skin and prescribe steroid creams. The best thing I can find to use is the Target brand anti itch gel. I can get about an hour of itch free bliss.I also find mine gets worse when I am in bed or just get into a super warm shower/bath. I started shaving downward and it stopped for about a year, then one day I was shaving and in a rush and went upward and now when I shave downward I itch. I screwed it all up it seems. I went to a Derm and he was ZERO help. Told me to get laser hair removal but told me he had no interest in my case as it would not likely bring him any money. Insurance will not cover laser hair removal as it is cosmetic and not medical and to both legs entirely done will cost thousands of dollars. I am looking into an at home laser hair removal system. If it works I will let you all know. Good luck everyone!!
Hi I suffer with itchy skin after shaving and a couple of weeks ago I had laryngitis well when I have this I drink a considerable amount of water which made my skin more supple   which Made my legs  feel loose if that makes sense and I never itched once even though I was waiting for it to start it never happened I always exfoliate before shaving  and moisturizer straight away while my skin is still damp  but I think the water was what sorted it out
  Hello!

I had unbearable ichy lower legs develop about 9 months ago. I tried tons of lotions, benydryl...etc... Everything!

I figured it out!   1. Hot Shower
                           2. Exfolicate
                           3. Towel off
                           4. Hydrogen Peroxide rubbed over entire effected areas.
                           5. Let Dry for 5 min.
                           6. Coconut Oil ( I used the Costco Tub)
   Relief is almost instant and it takes about 2 days to noticeably see the healing qualities.

Hope this helps someone!!
I'm just glad to know I'm not alone.  I go crazy day and night.
I have this condition too...it always starts when the hair starts growing back in.   Last winter I went to see an allergist for something unrelated, and I randomly asked him about my sensitive skin (thinking it was due to allergies).  As soon as I mentioned my symptoms, he came up with something called Dermatographic urticaria (skin writing condition).  My skin is so sensitive that even when I hug my husband and his beard brushes my face, I break out in a bit of a rash.  I believe that shaving causes the same reaction because the skin gets irritated again when the hair starts growing.  Hopefully this helps - unfortunately there is nothing that can fix it.  One thing that has helped soothe the itchiness is applying Aloe Calming Toner from The Body Shop.
Thank you! I have the same problem (I get a rash after I hug my husband if he has a stubby beard).
Unfortunately this problem it's not caused by shaving, even waxing! Hopefully one day someone will find a cure for it. *hugs*
I have suffered with this for the last couple of years - I would scratch my shins til they bleed 24hours after shaving.  So I read a load of posts on this wall and left one leg unshaven and shaved one leg and have started using goats milk soap and goats milk moisturiser ( says to use in cases of excema and psoriasis- which I don't suffer from)  24hours later after shaving I would normally be in severe agony with itching but now the itching is reduced by 98% - it was $5 from the chemist so a nice cheap remedy - I am so happy I just had to share this - hopefully it will help someone else.
I have the same problem.
I once got it waxed and i got so horrible itch i had to visit a doctor and take anti allergy medicine.He was a homeopathy doctor and said something as i had " coilitis' as in allregy when hair wants to grow back and infection in my hair root tips.
I took the medicine and since have been fine in the sense i dont get that terrible itch.
But after i use epiliator these days when my hair starts to grow back itch starts and it happens on my legs and calves specially. No such issues with my arms or under arms.
I apply coconut oil before going to sleep and try to keep it moisturised. I believe that's the only way possible for now..! :(
I have the same problem.
I know this is an old post but I thought I would post my feedback in case it can help someone.

I had this same problem, which only started around 6 months ago. Painfully itchy legs after shaving, which even resulted in scarring.

The solution I found was as follows:

1. I switched from using soap/ shower gel to lather my legs, to a Mennen shaving foam (sensitive skin). I use a men's product, it's cheaper than the women's one and I find it has the same effect!

2. I replaced my disposable razor with a Venus razor with replaceable blades (designed especially for sensitive skin, the head of the razor has an aloe vera pad around it and there are several blades very close together)

3. I stopped shaving against the direction of the hairgrowth (ie up the leg), now I only shave with the grain/downwards. It does of course give a shave that is not as smooth as when I shaved upwards, but visually my legs look hair-free, and I quickly got used to it (especially considering the painful alternative!).

4. After shaving, I use a Mennen after-shave balm (mint formula for sensitive skin), it seems to have a calming effect on my skin.

5. Every few days, I make sure to exfoliate my legs well with a sensitive skin shower gel & loofah, and I moisturize well afterwards.

6. I also changed my laundry detergent for a sensitive skin formula (Rainett), as I think my previous soap was causing me some skin irritation.  

Since I made these changes, I no longer have any problems with skin irritation and my legs have healed up.

I hope this might help someone.
I know this is an old thread but I just recently did something that helped me with this problem tremendously and wanted to share. I always get severe itching after shaving for days to the point where I will bruise myself scratching. Even stopped shaving as much because it's so bad. I recently began moisturizing with AND shaving with coconut oil. I have noticed not only is the shave closer and  the hair growing in less course/thick as well as slower BUT I also have had next to NO itching and irritation which has been sooooooo nice. Coconut oil is great for moisturizing and it has antibacterial properties which may explain why it helps. I have been able to shave daily with no issues since using the coconut oil. I 1. shave with it and 2. moisturize with it after shaving as well as daily. Hope this helps some of you :)
I just recently started having this problem and thought it was the shaving cream or something I might have switched so I went back to what I originally used and it's still happening except it keeps getting worse. Which coconut oil did you try, there's so many out there like the ones you cook with that have no smell or taste and then there's the ones that do have the smell and taste and  organic. I'm very interested in trying this. Also did you just use strait coconut oil orin it with something? Tha ks :-)
So glad this thread exists as it's the most helpful online source I've found for post-shaving itchy legs!  I also get crazy itchy legs 1-2 days after shaving, especially above the femurs, resulting in intense scratch-til-bleed itchiness especially at night, but even during the day.  Interestingly, I also shave my thighs, but they don't get itchy.

I tried aftershave, thinking the oils and alcohol might help, but nope.
I tried nair, which helps diminish the itch some, but then I'm rubbing god knows what chemicals into my body.
I tried different lotions, body oils, etc., which didn't stop the frantic itch.

I have finally found something that has eliminated the itch though: not shaving.  Women didn't shave before the early 1900's.  We managed to be beautiful and sexy throughout most of history not shaving our legs.  So why put ourselves through that torture now?  I do not have any problems dating and make sure the guys know upfront.  It's not a problem.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I am beautiful.  You are beautiful too.  
You are a wonderful husband. I hope you've found something to help your wife. I suffer from the same problem and the only conclusion I've come to is the same as yours, that the hair is too thick trying to push back through the skin. So the only logical solution is laser hair removal... it's just so expensive!
A few days ago, I tried a new 3 blade razor for the first time in my life.  Previously, I have only used a 2 blade razor for 25 years or so and never, ever was I itchy after a shave, until  a few days ago with that new razor.  My legs were so itchy!  Yes, unbelievably itchy to the point of agony!
I really believe that the problem for many of the women who have posted is that the razor is shaving too close and the hair that starts to grow back is causing the itch.  My suggestion is to get a razor that won't shave super close to the skin, exfoliating first and then shaving in the direction of the hair.  Hope that helps someone!
Yep my armpits itch too! I am not going to even attempt shaving my bikini line ever again. I tried waxing for months and ended up with loads of ingrowing hairs! - which I never had before! so now I have loads of scars and itchiness from shaving too! NIGHTMARE!

I am going to try my boyfriend's electric razor and failing that hair removal cream. or I will have to invest in laser removal!

Waxing does seem to be ok with my armpit- it's just having to go and get it done that's annoying and inconvenient. I'm going to try and find some EURAX to stop this itching in a min!

I'm wondering whether DERMOL cream might b a good moisturiser as it is for Eczema? (my daughter has eczema).

Grrrrrr such an annoying problem! If I was ok with hairy legs that wold be a blessing! But it is actually a bit unsightly!

Hoping to find a resolution soon! (which includes hair-free legs!)
i have the same issue i actually broke my nails scratching and the back of my thighs now look like i got attacked by a badger :(  my husband has bought me everything from a to z including a old fashion single blade razor which i love works great everywhere else just the backs of my thighs are so bad help
This is going to sound crazy to all of you, but one day, I got sooooo desperate because of the itchiness that I saw a lime in my kitchen and cut it and half and started rubbing it all over my calves.  Since I had scratched them so much, the lime gave me a soft burning sensation at first but after about 5 minutes my skin went numb and didn't itch again!!!!! I couldn't believe it!!!!! Just like a lot of you I used everything and nothing ever worked.  I saw a dermatologist twice and she kept saying the same: change blades, change razors etc. I used caladryl, aquaphor, aloe vera, oils, ice, every body lotion you can think of, hot water, cold water etc... and a lime ended up taking care of it! I had heard that limes kill bacteria because they are the most acidic fruit so that's why I tried it. I never had this problem before, ever, and I just got it one day and couldn't shave again! My guess is that I started shaving before going to pools and my pores where still open when got in the water and this infected them some how. I think someone posted here that the pores can get bacteria in them so it makes sense why a lime worked on me. I promise you, after using the lime, my legs went back to normal. I went to the same pool again recently (after having shaved) and I noticed my calves started to get the itchiness again and I immediately put lime on them again, and problem solved!!!
hahaha that's awesome and so random
THE ONLY SOLUTION IS ......

GET YOURSELF A THANAKA POWDER...

Natural Thanaka Bedak Sejuk  known as [Cooling Thanaka Powder Paste]    
100% Authentic ||PREMIUM GRADED||

VERY AFFORDABLE!!!

&

MOST IMPORTANTLY....
IT'S Harmless to your skin as it is produced with 100% natural ingredient.

THE LINK to have a look as the product:
http://list.qoo10.sg/item/3-FOR-10-40G-BOTTLE-THANAKA-PASTE/415359124#itemInfo

SEVERAL AVAILABLE TYPES that suits you better:

*BEST SELLER*  is the Lime (Green Tub)
I'M USING THE GREEN TUB-LIME FOR NATURAL WHITENING....

However, if you have sensitive skin..
It's better for you to get the either
...Sandalwood...Jasmine...or Rose...  Tulip...
As the Lime Green Tub might be too strong for your sensitive skin....

Rose (Pink Tub)
Jasmine (White Tub)
Sandalwood
& many more.....

WHAT IS THANAKA?

Thanaka is a traditional beauty skin secret used by all women in Myanmar for more than 2000 years.
The Thanaka Tree bark extract has deep nourishing, hydrating and cooling properties, and is a tried and tested formula used to maintain skin fairness even under the hot sun, blocking out harmful UV rays and external pollutants.
It has antibacterial properties so one can use it to prevent acne from breaking out.
It moisturises the skin and shield one's skin from the damaging and ageing effects of the very and strong tropical sun.

WHAT's THE BENEFITS ????

✔ Face mask treatment
✔ Anti-Bacterial ---------------> that helps to easeeeee the itch ASAP...
✔ Anti-Aging & Anti-Oxidant
✔ Antiseptic, anti-fungal ointment  ----------> that treats the itchy red bumps
✔ Promoting smooth skin
✔ Tightens Wide Pores
✔ Sunblock for UV-A ,UV-B
✔ Oil skin Control
✔ Whiteheads/Blackheads removal
✔ Foot deodorant
✔ Underarm deodorant 100%

Halal & BFDA Approved                                                    

FOR USE AS MASK :  
Take a few drops of water with Thanaka powder and mix.
Apply the Thanaka paste onto face.
Leave it on for 10-20 minutes and wash off.
After face has been cleanse [after shower], do not dry excess water.
Immediately apply paste onto face.
Leave it on for 10-20mins and wash off.

FOR USE AS NIGHT CREAM/DAY CREAM :  
Apply thinly onto cleanse face and let it sit-in while you sleep.
Cleanse face in the morning.  [FOR NIGHT CARE]

Apply thinly onto cleanse face and apply make-up as per normal.
[FOR DAY CARE]

&&&&&&&&

AS FOR THE ITCHHHHYYY LEGSSS AFTER SHAVING
FOR YOUR CASE:

Generously spread them all over the affected area.....
It will dries up in less them 5mins...
Just have them on till the itch goessssssss awayyyyyyyy...

WUHOOOO!!!!!!!!
Then, wash off ---> YOU WILL BE SURPRISE THAT ALL THE TINY ITCH RED BUMPS & OF COURSE THE UNBEARABLE ITCHHHHHH ALL OVER THE LEGS......
WILL JUS DISAPPEAR WITHOUT EVEN YOU REALIZING.....

Hope this helps....
Cause...this is what I'm experiencing & ONLY THIS IS LITERALLY THE ONE & ONLY SOLUTION that reallllllyyyyy workssssss ......

THANKS!

I have the same problem! I've just resorted to waxing my legs as opposed to shaving. I use the veet waxing strips and it's not as painful as you would think.  I do have a bit of a high pain tolerance, but I don't think it's that bad after the first few pulls. But I love the results and no more itchy legs! :) also exfoliating your legs really good before any type of hair removal is good. I started to just use a sugar scrub, and I use a pumice stone. Gently but surely.
Hope this helps! I stupidly shaved my legs recently and gahhhh so itchy. I have not missed that feeling. Seriously try waxing! I'd take that pain for a few seconds over this excruciating experience of itch any day!!!
Sanex Atopicare. The holy grail of body lotions for legs. I used to scratch my legs until they bled, this has cured that 100%. I apply after I have shaved my legs, and each day after a shower, no problem at all.
Yes, developed this recently. Almost like a burning, itching sensation, lasts an hour usually on my legs straight after shaving, very irritating. Nothing to do with lotion for me anyway. I pour cold water over my legs for that hour, stops the burning itch. Read somewhere about Razor Burn Folliculitus. This sounds a little like it, perhaps a milder version, nothing mild about the painful burning itching sensation though. They recommended to stop shaving for a short while and wash with an antibacterial wash then perhaps get laser treatment. Laser half price at the moment here, quite reasonable so going to try that. I found this antibacterial on Amazon. Covers all possibilities if you read the info. Reviews and info looks good, going to try it first, then laser.
Benadryl cream is the only thing that works for me! It's the craziest it's in the world after shaving. Kinda glad to hear it's not just me!!
My solution - Cetaphil Daily Advance Ultra Hydrating Lotion for Dry/Sensitive Skin

My story - I'm a 27 year old Hispanic woman with dark hair and light skin. I've gone most of my adult life planning out when I shave. I would spend most winters not shaving (only for special occasions) because shivering would make my legs itch far faster than in the summer. I would start itching when the hair on my legs would start poking through my skin.

My routine would go as follows: get the courage to shave legs, shave legs, put a bunch of hydrating lotions on and pray that my legs wouldn't itch, go about my day the first 16 hours, then after that it would be a total nightmare. The itching would normally be at night and I would itch my legs so much to the point where I would make myself bleed from my nails digging into my skin. The showers that followed days like this would also be painful because the hot water would sting from the irritation I had caused from itching. I had tried various lotions, oils, shaving creams, anything that I read online that could help, but nothing would relieve my legs.

Going swimming? I would need about a month to recover from any previous shaving and damage I had done to my legs. Forget any 3 day vacation. I would have to shave the day I left just so the itching would start towards the end of my trip.

Finally, about a month ago I decided to start laser hair removal treatments. I was skeptical and scared because that would mean I would have to get a very close shave about every month or so. I decided a few months of pain would be worth years of no more hairy legs.

I shaved the night before as close as possible and let them air dry (can't wear any types of lotions before a treatment). I got my first treatment done and by that night, I began feeling the sensation of wanting to itch. As normal, I lotioned my legs up with various products but they didn't help and all I could think about is that I would have to go through this the following month and the following month.

Finally, after about a week after I shaved, I was at a drugstore and saw the Cetaphil lotion for sensitive skin. I decided to give it a shot (what do I have to lose, besides the $13 bucks). When I say it was night and day, IT WAS LITERALLY NIGHT AND DAY. Immediately after applying the lotion to my legs after showering, no more itchy sensation. I thought perhaps I was approaching the end of my hair growing back-itchy phase. I gave my legs about a week to recover from the scratch marks I had initially gave myself and decided to shave again. I applied the lotion and NO MORE ITCH. I'm approaching my second laser hair removal treatment and I've shaved about 3 times in the last couple of weeks. I had never shaved THREE TIMES in two weeks before this! This Cetaphil lotion for sensitive skin has literally saved my legs, it's my holy grail! It's a bit pricey, but it's worth every penny and more. I normally don't leave comments like this, but I thought it was worth sharing my experience and hope that this will help some of you too.
So what do you have your legs with? If youbapply that after i have the exact same problem