Painfully itchy legs after shaving

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Painfully itchy legs after shaving

I need help! About 12-24 hours after shaving (never right away), I develop and overpowering itch on the shaved areas (legs, armpits too, although the legs tend to itch the worst). This itch is so bad that I have woken up in the night reflexively scratching my legs until they bleed.

I've tried all the suggestions the internet has to offer. I've tried:
- nearly every shave lotion the market has to offer, including organic ones and regular body wash.
- nearly every razor the market has to offer; I use replaceable-head razors (Venus Divine) and I replace the head frequently.
- tried lotioning my legs after, and before  after showering with both Aveeno and St. Ives Intensive Healing
- tried using baby oil after, and before & after
- tried using tea tree oil and various other organic itch-calming treatments

None of these have worked

Once the itch starts, there is very little that will end it. I've tried:
- Regular and intensive lotions
- Eucerin anti-itch calming lotion
- Aloe Vera sunburn treatment (I thought the aloe or lidocaine in it might stop the itch)
- Benedryl (just in case it was an allergy to something in my shaving creams)
- OTC Hydrocortisone cream

Nothing works to stop the itch after it has begun. Pretty much all I can do is scratch and hope the itch ends before I scratch down to blood. It is agonizing and keeps me up at night. The same itch happens with Nair as well, but not hair-buffing although I could never get that to work to remove hair very well.

My doctor has no idea and just keeps saying "try a different shaving cream". He's not a very good doctor but I don't have a lot of insurance in-network options there. Has anyone heard of this? Do I have no option but to stop shaving?
This itching after shaving can be due to contact dermatitis to the material used in shaving or due to infection of the hair follicles.Take Benadryl or Claritin and apply calamine lotion or a mild steroid cream after shaving and if the symptoms persist then you can opt for waxing or laser hair removal.A consultation of a cosmetologist will be the best in that case.
Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.Kind regards.
Forget that doctor, Kaur.  He obviously didn't read thoroughly enough to realize you said you've tried Benadryl and the lotions and such he recommended.

My wife has the same problem, and has had it ever since she first started shaving her legs when she was younger.  It drives her crazy.  It's all she can do to either wax and have a couple of weeks until the itching (which she has stopped because waxing *****), or just not shave at all.  Most people in these forums talk about how the itching is all women, but never connect that to the fact that it's shaving!  Most men don't shave their legs, so most don't have itch that comes from shaving!

Anyways, back to the point - She is suffering the same symptoms, has tried EVERYTHING.  The last doctor we went to basically said to just stop shaving and come back later (so we can pay even more for no answer?).  Right now she just shaves when she needs to, and she uses a pretty unspectacular electric razor because it doesn't shave very close, which means the hair doesn't have to grow back through the skin and itch.  Even then, she was just complaining about the itch coming back a few minutes ago, thus the reason I'm on here.

It appears to be something with the hairs growing back in.  Some possibilities are that the hair is poking the skin in the wrong way as it grows in (she even ends up with some in-grown hairs, but they aren't the ones that itch!), or my guess is it's something to do with circulation OR possibly the pores being too small.  If the hairs are growing in and are too large, even a slight bit, for the follicles, it could possibly cause itching.  Doesn't seem likely, but then again what does seem likely to cause so much itch and trouble?

I really do hope to help her find out what the problem is, and I hope you have luck as well.  If you KNOW, like we do, that the itch is caused by the hairs growing back in (which is why it's a day or so after shaving), then SAY that to the doctor when you go, and be very persistent.  Doctors aren't any smarter than other people.  Just like everyone else, they only know what they learn, and most of what they have learned is just lists of symptoms, what they can mean, and how to go about BSing treatments (sounds rough, but it's true.  No clue how many times people go in to get a rash treated and get a prescription without any sort of check to see what the cause of the rash is.  Or the prescription of anti-biotics which is stupid except in severe immune attacking sicknesses really).  

Be persistent and let the doctor know what is triggering it, then they might be able to take a better look when you are actually itching.  Go in a day after shaving, and if you have a trigger, use it when you go in to make sure they can look at it while it's happening.  For example, my wife's itching can be triggered by being cold.  If she's shaved in the past few days, she gets goosebumps really easily, and it makes her feel cold, and makes the itching a lot worse.

Try shaving one leg and not the other, then you have a comparison.  If the shaved leg itches and the other doesn't, there's more proof on your side.  Plus, when you go in to a doctor again, you can have them compare the two legs or something.

Sorry I can't offer a "solution" since I have not found one myself, but I do sympathize with you greatly.  Please do comment back or email ***@**** if you happen to find any answers.
I had exactly the same problem you had for years.  I would shave my legs and within 12-24 hours, my legs would start itching horribly.  Most of the time this happened during the evening hours when I was in bed.  A couple of years ago I started investigating my allergies and realized that I was allergic to dozens of things, one of them being dust mites.  My allergist suggested that I encase my mattress and pillows to help decrease my exposure to dust mites.  I followed his advice and, almost instantly, my legs stopped itching after shaving!  The only conclusion I can draw is that the dust mites were irritating my freshly shaved legs.

Even if you aren't allergic to dust mites, I would strongly encourage encasing your mattress and pillows.  I purchased my microfiber encasings online from Mission Allergy, but you can find them other places as well.  I'd love to hear if anyone else has success with this.
I have the same exact problem, and the two comments above are exactly right. My dermatologist is out of Emory Medical in Atlanta, and is amazing.

He said that your hair is growing back, and it itches to help the hair pierce the skin better, and remove dead skin from on top of the new hair growth. When you scratch, you naturally remove the dead skin on top of the new hair growth.

He suggested encasing my bed as well, and it really did help.

Finally, he suggest shaving downwards (from knee to ankle) instead of upwards. This really did help.

After shaving, it may help to ex foliate your skin each day, twice a day, to help keep dead skin from blocking new hair from growing.

This is no different than when you have a sunburn and you itch to help remove the dead skin.

Good luck, and please let me know how it works!!
***@****
I also forgot to mention, salt baths help. You can go to your local grocery store and buy sea salt, and sprinkle it into your bath water. This helps heal any wound, itch, acne, bump, etc that you have on your skin.

Definitely try the exfoliating though, because that did WONDERS for me.
I have the same issue with my legs and my doctor said the same things.  She had no idea what she was talking about!  This only started about 5 years ago for me and at first I thought it was the water since we had just moved.  But since then we have moved to several other places and I still have the same issue.  Don't listen to Dr. Kaur, he obviously didn't listen to a word you said.  The only relief I get when it starts itching is to get a hand towel (because they are bigger than washcloths) and drench it in cold water and wrap them around my legs.  This subsides the itching enough to where I can better attempt at ignoring the itch long enough to stop scratching.  

Reading the other posts though, I am going to have to try the mattress and pillow covers, because now that I think about it, the majority of the time the itching starts in bed.  But there are times when I am not in bed that it starts, too.  I hope you find something to relieve your itching...I definitely feel your pain!
I have the exact same problem and had the exact same kind of dumb response from my Dr.  It's been going on for years and I could have written all these responses.  24-30 hours after shaving...itchy. Waking up at night drawing blood...ingrown hairs that I can see but those do not itch.  Thanks for the allergy tip, I'll look into anything.  I shave my legs only when I have to and thank goodness I live in a Northern state.  Stays colder longer, a perfect excuse to wear pants!
I too have had "the itch" for years.  I am 72 years old, my mother had this,and two of my sisters had it.  I find that it is worse after any stimulation to my skin.  Rubbing with a towel, waves in the ocean, showers, pulling clothes on or off, caressing, etc.  I have tried everything, and have been told by Drs that it is dry weather, I live in Hawaii.  Most people look at me as if I were crazy, and frankly it makes me crazy at times.  I would love a Dr to take it seriously and help or at least study it to help so many of us.
npbcmj
My wife is going through the same thing and I am researching hard to try and find her answer. I wish you all the best. This seems to be a terrible thing for many women. I have compiled a list of advice from many sources in my research -- I'll try and come back and post my list after getting it on my computer. I wish you all the best -- and a good answer to this problem.

Kirk
Hey Everyone,

I have compiled a short list of things you might try in order to find a little relief. It's obvious that there is no one answer to this problem, but I want to believe that some of these things could help you -- even if only a little. My hope is that something in my list will help you a LOT!

So, here's my list, which I will be giving to my wife when she comes home: (some ideas are from here and some from other places). Note: I only included an item in my list of I read that it had really helped someone -- and not just because it was somebody's idea.

1. Test multiple razors, gels, lotions – even single blade razors

2. Change your razor often  (suggestions ranged from after 2-5 uses to after every shave if it helps)

3. Press lightly when Shaving

4. Try shaving in the opposite direction from your current method

5. Don’t shave with soap as your “shaving cream”

6. Try Skintimate shave lotion

7. Try Bikini Zone Anti-Itch Shave Cream

8. Visit Bath and Body for a possible solution

9. Use different tools and methods (direction, razor, lotion) on each leg and track results until you a find combination that brings relief

10. Exfoliate your legs after shaving – maybe even twice a day.

11. Use unscented and non-perfumed lotions with calamine or E45 or aloe

12. Apply lotion in the same direction as hair growth

13.   Encase your mattress and pillows to help decrease exposure to dust mites

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post on this thread. Some of your ideas were absolutely fantastic. After my sweet wife has a chance to try some of these ideas, I will come back and post if we find a solution to her nagging itching legs!

Best to all of you!
Hi, my suggestion, get rid of all shavers and shaving lotions and get yourself an Epilator.  It is the best thing on the market for removing hair, no irritation, no shaving lotions.  Releive the itching with alcohol. O.K.?
So, I have the same problem and I use Oxy10 acne wash on my legs to shave, and it has solved the problem. It takes about a week or two to kick in. I'm guessing the itching is bacteria related. Also, my doctor put me on Dr. Wilson's adrenal rebuilder supplements and after about 6 months of use the itchy legs disappeared completely. Just a suggestion:)
I just had a sleepless night dealing with this. I have scratched myself almost raw on my legs and thighs. Started about 2 months ago. My husband thinks it's the weather, but I'm 39 and lived through many falls/winters MUCH harsher. Skin is getting dryer just with age, but I reg./daily use Avenno Intensive Cream on my legs, feet, etc. I had to slather myself with Avenno Calamine Paroxidine Anti-Itch last night just to get minimal relief and awoke hours later, digging like crazy. Now I have little bumps everywhere from the scratching which most likely makes things worse. I feel for you all dealing with this. Miserable!!!!
so i stopped shaving.  I'v not ben able to find any relief tried almost all this things before ever looking on the internet, no luck yet. i had to shave last night and now i'm suffering for it, just tried the alcohol idea no help.  i think it gets worse in bed because you have nothing else going on to take your mind of it. i'v noticed it doesn't itch until my first set of goosebumps after that its a non stop itch. i'm going to keep looking for an answer, my poor husband understands but he can't find my hairy legs sexy. good luck please come back with any further ideas
hello ive been reading comments on itchy legs as mine have been driving me crazy since october.   ive never had this problem until ive moved back into my parents house in october??????   i used to use dove soap to wash and my mother buys imperial leather this is the only thing im doing differently do u think this could cause it?  i dont shave with soap just wash with it afterwards.   ive woke up today so frustrated as have been itching all night that bad my legs are stinging so annoying!!!!!!
I have the same problem mentioned here. The only relief I've been able to find is from Melaleuca Renew lotion. I've used other lotions that have helped temporarily, but I've been using Renew for a year and it still works. You can find it on eBay or Amazon. You can also find a Melaleuca rep on their website and sign up to buy it at a lower price, but that requires you to spend a certain amount of money with them every month. I've also found that almond oil from GNC helps, but even that stopped helping after a few months of using it. I hope this can help other people suffering from this. I know it's awful. I've also started applying the lotion in the direction of hair growth (downwards) and use Burt's Bee sulfate-free shampoo for shaving with. I found that at Kroger, but you can also find it online.
Since the problem just began in October when you moved back in with your parents, it might be an allergy to dust mites in the mattress you're sleeping on.  Here's what I posted about that a few months ago:

I too have this 'syndrome' but it does not seem to follow any pattern.  I thought that by keeping my legs moisturised every day after showering it would help (and it is better than it used to be) but for instance today, directly after shaving (with a body lotion) it has started up again.  I only use natural products with few ingredients but the lotion has essential oils as fragrance.  

The interesting thing is that I have had this happen at different stages of hair growth.  Today it was immediately after shaving, other times it has been a day or two after and I have also had it when the hairs have been long.  It also does not happen every single time I shave my legs.  I can go for weeks or months perfectly OK and then one day it will return with a vengeance!   I have tried most of the ideas suggested here but never thought of dust mites. Could it be to do with our diet?
I have the same problem. Question-How long do you go without
shaving? I come to find out if I shave every other day my legs don't itch.
But if I go a week without shaving, I know to get ready for a night of itching. So
when I'm lazy and don't shave for a week. I ended up shaving on a sunday so i can sit
in a the bath most of the day, having my legs in the water takes the itch away.
I've always had the itchy problem after shaving, but since I shaved monday, this has been the worst case ever, and i think it has to do with the fact that i went swimming in a chlorinated pool on tuesday, which just aggravated the situation (not to mention the pool was coldish and caused goosebumps, which i think always make it worse). Grrrrr, Gonna go try a bath with some corn starch. Used a handmade cream this morning (made entirely from oils, and scented with Lavender essential oil, which is always nice and healing for the skin), and they seem to be doing a little better. Glad to know im not the only one suffering through this, best of luck to all of you!
Pretty much the same thing for me as well, it only happens if I shave against the hair, shaving with, or downward, waxing, or using Nair is really the only way around it.  However, I hate waxing; but shaving downward, or using Nair doesn't give you the smoothest results.

I suppose it's better than nothing though.
My Legs are soooo itchy!!! I keep putting on lotion every time it gets really itchy! I itch so hard, I end up getting cuts and scrapes on my legs! I guess it's a good thing I bite my nails. When I stopped shaving and my hair started to almost fully grow back out it wasn't as itchy anymore or not itchy at all. It was like I forgot to itch my legs or something! I also get a ton of razor burn on my legs I don't know how to get rid of especially on my upper thais which look horrible and don't look any better after itching them. After the first day or so I shave i can feel that my skin and legs are sensitive to even the heat of the water especially when I touch them when showering. It feels horrible. It could be the sensitivity in my skin after shaving but I've tried a lot of different lotions, shaving creme's, Razors, etc.
Everyone had some really good tips and comments! I'm really thank full and will give it a try.

I'm a 20 year old male.
Ladies...I feel your pain!!!
I have been getting the most insanely itchy legs that starts several hours after shaving, on and off for a few years now.  It literally gets so itchy/painful that I feel crazy.  Small slightly reddish lumpy welt-type-things start raising up over my legs, they almost feel like mini bee stings all over my calves and shins.  I've noticed it gets especially bad when I go swimming in the ocean within a day or so of shaving, and as soon the salt water touches my legs, it starts to feel irritated and then a couple hours later it gets a lot worse.  The only thing I've found to help is to not shave for a while, and not apply any lotions of any sort while it's "flared up" because last time I tried that thinking it would calm the itch- it caused the lumps to instantly get even more itchy and sore and I had to quickly rinse my legs in cool water!  Then I just have to wait it out for a few days until the hairs grow out more and the itchy lumps aren't flared up anymore.  I do not want to have to deal with this for the rest of my life, it really ***** big time.  I think it is now officially a necessity for me to get laser hair removal.  I also have dust mite allergies, I found that interesting to read there could be a correlation.  I can't wait to be free of this!
Ive been having the same problem ever since I started shaving again, at least its become worse now. I used to use an epilator and just pull the hairs out entirely, but this made hairs grow in all over my legs, making it look like I had acne all over my legs. So, back to shaving. Now, after about 12-24 hours after shaving it starts itching.

I dont know about everyone else, but this is only my legs. I dont have the same problem with my armpits or pubic hair.
Also, it is all the time, not only when Im in bed. I can be sitting in a lecture and just really have to restrain myself to not start scratching in an insane manner, though I really still have to scratch.

The only thing that remotely works when its started itching is cold water; I just let it run over my legs. This is of course not really a solution.

If anyone knows of anything that really helps and not the crap solutions of new razors, and other products that everyone here has really tried, that would be amazing.

At the moment and looking into and shaving up for laser hair removal, which after some treatments should remove ALL hairs and thus never cause this problem again. Just very expensive. Though, if you have the money, I would really consider it.
My sister has this horrible problem also.  It has been absolutely awful for her.  She has had the same responses from many doctors as all of the others on this forum.   I am curious to know if anyone with this problem has had a complete Thyroid panel done?  She has not done this test yet, but did some research about this problem.   A regular thryroid test may not capture a particular hormone that is out of wack and so a complete Thryoid panel must be done.  I will keep you all posted.

I too have the dreaded itchy legs.  This started about 20 years ago, and I suffered for years.  About 3 years ago, I read something in a magazine, that prompted me try Flaxseed oil.  I have been taking 2 Tablespoons of flaxseed oil ever day for the past 3 years, and my condition has improved by about 75%.  I stopped getting the itching altogether for about 2 years, but this past year, it came back, but as long as I take the flaxseed oil, it does not return with the same intensity.  I have read many of the posts/remedies, but my belief is it is a dry skin problem (even though my legs don't look dry) and I think when the hair starts to grow back in, it irritates the skin, and causes insane itching.  If you try the flaxseed, you have to take it faithfully, and I have to take 2TBS to get results.  One TBS is not enough for me, but experiment with it.  It took about 3 weeks to get into my system to start feeling results. I have been to doctors, I have tried all the lotions, i have tried allergy meds, nothing worked, but the flaxseed did.  Good luck everyone.  I feel your pain.

C-
I've read through all the posts on this topic and i've found out ALOT of new ideas about the situation. I'm in my teens and i thought it was just a phase of growing up with the hairs growing back faster since i'm still growing, but it seems as though alot of the people who have posted comments on this topic have the same thing and are older than me!
I especially get irritation when i'm in bed so dust mites may be a catalyst there, but i also get it randomly when i'm not in bed so i'm not sure what could be the cause of that. Going in the sea aftter shaving ,24 hours after, i get a burning sensation and the hair folicles tend to go red so i look like a i have red spots on my legs. Also,has anyone had lazer hair removal?
Excellent- I've had itchy legs for about a year now so I've reverted to shaving only when necessary. I always itch quite rightly about 12 hours after shaving and I keep itching until blood appears!! :( I thought it would pass over time but it hasn't. Going to try all the recommendations on here!
Hey all, I have the exact same problem (I see many of these posts have started this way). It's been going on for years for me. I only have it from the knee to the ankle on both legs (but not underarms or anywhere else), like you Ehtrym. My legs itch ALL the time, not just when I'm in bed. I scratch in my sleep and wake up with bloody legs, sheets and finger nails (gross, sorry!). My husband actually wakes me up almost every night because I'm scratching so harshly!

I've been to 2 dermatologists about this. One a few years back prescribed Luxiq, which is a foam that you apply to your legs or afftected area a few hours after you shave. It really seemed to work for a little while, but since its a topical steroid, I was cautioned against using it long term, but I continued to use it for ~2 years since nothing else has worked. I'm really considering just going back to using it since it's the only thing that has worked.

I moved, so my new dermatologist prescribed a 10% glycolic acid wash to shave with and a 15% glycolic lotion to use. She said she thinks the problem is that a very thin layer of skin actually grows back very quickly after shaving (I've read about this on other Web sites and threads). When the hair folicles start to grow back in, they have to push through this skin layer, which causes the delayed crazy/painful itching. Since the hairs keep growing, the itching and irritation keeps happening. She said that most lotions only prolong the irritation and cause the little bumps you see form around the folicle holes. She also said thats why exfoliation helps - because you're removing at least some of this little extra layer and thus "clearing a path" for the folicle to keep growing.

Unfortunately, the glycolic wash and lotion have not helped AT ALL. I've been using it for about 5-6 days and have not seen any improvement. I called them this morning, but she's out of town until Monday. I will definitely be following up with her first thing Monday.

There are some really good home rememdies suggested here and I will be trying those for relief until Monday, but I feel I really need something long term. Unfortunately for me, because I'm so fair, laser removal is simply not an option. I explored this a few years ago to solve this itching permanently, but 2 different specialists said my skin would burn before the laser removal would actually do anything. Sigh.
Hello!  A couple of quick things to share on what I have found;

-Allergies, dust, etc. (so true!)
-Time of year (like clock work it's prominent when the weather gets cold) dryness and hydration??
-Anything other than a single blade causes irritation, itching and bumps for many.  I had been to a doc years ago regarding this and they recommended using a single blade (disposable) and this helped tremendously.  (Double and triple blades are kind of like bringing a bull dozer to a delicate garden in need of a small shovel...overkill!)
-Try the epilady siggestion to.  I might compare using that only vs. following up with a single blade within 24 hrs (much like you do when waxing).  The follow up is to avoid or reduce ingrown hairs or skin layer that seem to produce following a wax.  

What ever works right?? - Good luck everybody!
It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one with itchy legs after shaving, also 12-24 hours later, although sometimes its immediate.

I've done everything the original poster mentioned and nothing helps. I've resorted to only shaving when nessesary and for a while waxing worked (no itching) but yesterdays wax resulted in horrible itching this morning (17 hours later). It really is like torture, to have an itch you can't relieve and to have it all over both your legs...

Nothing has helped me either, it is so frustrating. My mom and sister don't have this problem, lucky them, but I'm stuck with hairy man legs, or tortourous pain the next day.
Yesterday I found this page as I was breaking the skin itching and scratching my legs.  I've tried EVERY product (including sensitive/unscented/anti-itch) and all they do is leave a film on my skin that makes it worse.  I exfoliate everyday with a loofa (to save money other then buying body scrubs), yesterday I even exfoliated in a bath of salt water.  I still got itchy!

Then, last night, I was watching "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" and you know how the father uses Windex as a cure for everything?  Well, I figured that that made sense.  So last night I took a bath, exfoliated, and then when I got out, patted myself dry (as to not move skin cells into pores) and then sprayed and rubbed windex on my legs, AND IT WORKED!

You see, it's the Ammonia that is in the Windex (which is the same ingredient in those Anti-Itch sticks for bug bites) that helps.  It will "sting" a little at first (it's the ammonia that is killing bacteria) but it will stop the itch for a while!

At night, take Benadryl about an hour before you want to go to sleep.  It will knock you right out!

I don't think that there is a permanent solution to our predicament, but I tell you, Windex/Ammonia is a great quick/useful fix!

Cheers!
If you are able to stand waxing or epilating (any complete hair removal, not shaving or hair removal creams), I have the solution for you, and it WILL stop the itching if it's hair related (and much less painful and expensive than laser removal).

I commented before (acboy1) and my wife has been getting better, but she can't stand waxing her legs so she only tried this method for a little while. It's called Kalo, a product made by Nisim. Look it up. Compared to laser surgery it's very cheap. Wax your legs, use this stuff every day as directed, for however long it says. Then let the hairs grow until you can wax again. It is a hair growth inhibitor, so every time you use it, it will prevent hairs from growing. Hair grows in cycles, about 3 separate time cycles, so all in all you will need to use this about 10-15 times depending. Based on the amount of time it takes for hair to grow back, that means it will probably take a year before you have the hair completely gone forever. But - itch for years and years, pay for laser surgery for years and years, or pay for this for ONE year, and remove the itch forever? I'd take the last one. Give it a try, you can order it online easy enough.

Like I said, my wife didn't keep using it, but she used it enough times that her hair is noticeably thinned out. If she kept going, it would all have been gone by now.

Again, this will ONLY help if the itching is from shaving, which most of you in this thread are saying is the ultimate cause. If you have no hairs, you don't have to shave. If you don't have to shave, you don't have to itch.
My legs itch like crazy about 8-12 hrs after shaving. I'm in my mid 20's and I have had this problem since I first started shaving as a kid. I have a very thick head of hair and thick eye-lashes--I have noticed that some of the pores on my legs will have any where from 1 to 3 hairs coming out of it. I have come to believe that the insane itchy legs is due to the hair growing back in, b/c I too will scratch till I bleed sometimes--this has caused me to wear pants to sleep to help create a barrier at night. I at first thought it was due to dry skin b/c I do get eczema on small parts of my legs--so I would use cetaphil lotion and shave with skintimate which didn't help. But I will try the dust mite theory out.
Hey I've got the same problem a severe itch after a few hours of having shaved. Its embarrasing especially when I'm out because I have to itch like crazy for it to go away. What I find helps is e45 cream it cools the skin and makes the itch go away.
Sam1
Hello! I didn't read all the answers posted, but I have been dealing with this same scenario my whole life. i have recently made some changes that seem to have helped I wanted to add:

the biggest change is that i invested in a MAN'S ELECTRIC RAZOR - one that doesn't shave too close. YES i always have a tiny bit of stubble, but it isn't visible and my husband is just relieved that i'm not scratching anymore! No need to add shaving creams that could irritate, or deal with water temperatures - just shave dry! This has made the biggest difference. Around the same time I also put plastic covers on my mattress - don't know exactly how much difference that made but i'll give it some recognition.

The last big change is that I FINALLY found a lotion that relieves my skin instead of burning it. You know what I mean, at first Aveeno or Eucerine or St. Ives will FEEL like it helps, but minutes later the burn is back. SHIKAI makes a lotion that is exclusive to whole foods and contains borage oil. This is the first ever lotion to neutralize my skin's reactions and just make it feel regulated and ok. This combines with the electric razor so i'm not actually inflaming my skin to begin with has proven to be very effective. I do apply this lotion about 20 min after shaving.

Anyway, I wish you all luck, this can be so frustrating and I hope you can fins some of the same relief I have found! Here's a link to the lotion so you know what to look for:
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/item.php?RID=44
I have read all the above and have had all the symptoms. Im so relieved and thankful for all the posts everyone else has put up! I have been to many expensive doctors and spent hundreds on medications to make this go away...

Laser has worked for me, and the new "cold" laser is virtually painless, but now that its summer and im tanner, im not allowed to laser and the itching starts all over again :(

now to try everything you all posted, thanks!
Wow, I had no idea so many women have this problem.  I've been dealing with it for several years and it DOES drive you crazy!  After waking up this morning and wanting to scratch my skin off I decided to investigate it on the web.  It's weird that shortly after moving to the house we're in I developed sinus allergies. I've never been  tested but know I have some strange allergies.  The dust mite idea on here makes alot of sense as does the bacteria problem. I'm thinking this combined with shaving /opening my skin to the dust mites and bacteria is my problem.  I've noticed that when I wake up in the morning and while I'm sleeping the itching as well as my sinuses are the worst.  Does anybody else have sinus allergies as well as the itch?  Maybe it's related...just a thought. Today I'm going to buy the mattress cover and the pillow cover and try some of the other ideas on here.  Good luck to everyone, I will post differences!
Something I forgot to put in my post is that I've resorted to using Bactine to relieve the itching somewhat.  It seems to help sometimes but I sometimes need to apply twice, heavily to make it work.  Don't know how good or bad this could be for your skin but at least it helps me keep my skin!
This is the best thing that I have read and helped me so far... Follow these steps and also encasing your bed ...http://www.****.com/i/#article_2365066
The best thing I have come across is Beta Val. It's an Rx cream/lotion that I put on whenever I have irritation. I got it from my regular doctor (not my dermatologist), and it cost about $8 for the generic prescription here in the US. It has done WONDERS for my legs. My skin is back to normal and my legs look great. I can even put regular moisturizing lotion on my legs again!

I would strongly encourage you to ask your doctor about this option. I cannot relay enough how much better I feel. My life is back to normal, and I'm not bloodying my legs anymore.
I'm so glad that this site is out here! Right now I am dealing with horribly itchy legs. I shaved and then a few hours later I went into my friend's hot tub. It hurts so bad and itches like crazy. It is almost like having needles ***** your skin. It hurt so bad I could barely fall asleep and I would wake up to the pain. I found that wetting a rag with cold water, placing it over my legs and then laying under the ceiling fan made it tolerable to sleep. Another thing that has been helping is rubbing my skin with my hands. My husband got me a Cortisone cream and it did no good. I'm going to go to the store this morning and get a Benadryl cream or some kind of steroid cream if I can find it. Hopefully that will give me some relief. I have never had itching this bad and I can only think that the hot tub water severely irritated my freshly shaved skin. Good luck!
To all the women experiencing this discomfort I hope this provides you with some small relief - possibly not physically but certainly morally.

I'm a 42 yr old male and I've just shaved my legs (from foot to butt) as I'm about to take delivery of a new push bike and I want to look my best for the first outing.
I started seriously riding bikes in my late 20's when I took up Triathalon and back then I tried both shaving and waxing my legs with the end result the dreaded itchy legs and in-growing hairs.  After trying to get the whole leg thing to work for a while without any luck, I simply gave up on it (sorry, that won't make you feel any better).  Since that original attempt I've just gone without the shaved leg look to much ridicule from my cycling buddies.  So with the new bike on its way I decided to try it again - bad move!  Now I'm being ridiculed by my Wife - saying "I told you not to do it - you idiot!"

My observations are thus:
* 6 - 12 hours after shaving - ouch!
* Dust mites in the bedding - nothing to do with it - it's more likely just that when you are in bed the sheets catch on the stubble and irritate the skin.
If I get goose bumps then my legs just go nuts and feel prickly and tingly and itchy all at the same time - it is agony.
* Red bumps clearly caused by hairs attempting to push through skin that shouldn't be in front of it.
* Insane itching and irritation!
* I'm currently holidaying in Far North Queensland so the temperatures here are between 25*C and 30*C (night and day) so I've been wearing shorts since I shaved.  As a consequence of the shorts, my lower legs (below the knees) are absolutely fine but my upper legs are an absolute disaster - I figure it's got a lot to do with the irritation caused by my skin and hair (stubble) against the fabric of my shorts.
* One thing I really notice is how frequently I'm getting goose bumps on my upper legs and when I do, it is the worst thing.

I don't have any actual solutions at the moment but the only relief I can get is from applying some cream by the name of "Itch Ease" - it is used for when you have bug bites and things and is antiseptic as well as anesthetic.

I'm determined to solve this for myself and at this stage I think the best option for me is to try the electric razor rather than the blade - I figure if the hair is not cut too short then the in-growing shouldn't occur.  If this works then I'll just need to deal with the prickly legs but I don't think this would be too great a problem.
I've had this problem since I started shaving as a kid and nothing works.  After so much agonizing itching I've resorted to not shaving very often.  I just rarely wear skirts or dresses and never wear shorts.  The man's shaver is an excellent idea.  I had an old Philips ladies shaver that didn't shave very close and other than being ultra prickly, at least it worked.

At night to hide the itching I find it really helps to sleep in tights.  Not nylons, but the pant like tights that they used to wear in the 80's.  I find the pressure helps mask the itching enough to sleep.

Also, Lanacane cream in the yellow tube from the drug store works wonders when I'm stupid enough to try shaving again to test to see if I still have a bad reaction.  (I always do...)  It's too expensive to be a long term solution but at least it helps me not want to rip my skin off.

I'm so relieved I'm not the only one with this problem!  Maybe I'll be able to convince my husband I need laser hair removal...
Question......Does everyone/anyone also itch after shaving other areas too? ie arm pits and bikini line?

Everywhere I shave I itch!
I thought I was going crazy... seriously crazy.  It started about a month ago (out of the blue!) and it is the most irritating itch I have ever experienced.  Thank you for all the suggestions, I will report back with my findings.
I used to have the exact same problem of itchy legs after shaving which got much worse in winter. I've tried changing razors and also moisturize like crazy - baby oil before and after shaving etc. nothing has worked.

What HAS worked for me is rinsing the blade of my razor in rubbing alcohol just before shaving. My legs DO NOT ITCH AT ALL. I don't even use shaving cream just my regular Olay body wash.

I hope this works out for the rest of you. The rubbing alcohol is available at any store or pharmacy for a little over a dollar. Good luck.

All I'm so glad i found this site i thought it was just me my legs are sp itccy after shaving this has only strated a couple of months ago i dread it when i have to shave. they itch so bad that it hurts and my husband doesn't understand i could cry
Hi, I have the same problem and it's awful!
Anybody who says it has to do with your razor or shaving lotion, etc has no idea what you're going through.
It's the hair growing back & having to push up through the skin so your best bet is to shave as infrequently as possible. Strangely, I only experience this on my legs but it is so incredibly bad. I can't even get by with scratching just using my finger nails. I bought a hair brush with the strongest & roughest bristles I could find & I use a lot of force to scratch my legs with it, but when that doesn't work I end up beating my legs with it instead and it always end up causing bleeding.
I'm about to start laser hair removal on my legs & I honestly believe this is the ONLY way to fix the problem... Hair regrowth is causing all our troubles & this is the only way to stop the hair growing back.
Unfortunately it is a little pricey & may take a while to be fully effective but it will be well worth it in the end.
Good luck!
I had the same problem you did and I tried everything but my friend told me she used the vasiline oil. You can buy it at the grocery store and its the brazilian oil and its brown. I always put lotions and other oils on and all it would do is burn and itch worse and this is the only thing that's ever work for me, so you should try it out.
hey buddies here.it seems i have solved the above problem. Even I used to shave my body in order to look sexy and younger. My legs used to itch alot. Then i found out that this itch is because of skin pulling due to hair removal. The skin gets exposed after hair removal either by shaving or using hair removal creams or waxing. its like a little wound on the skin which gets exposed to air and the bacteria starts attacking the exposed skin. thats why the itch.
Now iil tell the solution to it. Apply mustard oil on your legs just after washing your skin with lukewarm water after hair removal. You can get mustard oil from any grocery store. The itches last barely two-three minutes and then all of then it stops suddenly. I have tried this home remedy. there's no need to buy expensive medications or lotions apply mustard oil regularly for three-four days. hence the problem will wither away.
try it once. it works for sure.!!!
I've been having the same problem for years. After shaving 12-24 hours it's on, the itching continues until I bleed. It leaves marks on my legs and thighs. I went to a dermatologist, he gave me samples of Eucerine calming cream, and told me to go to walgreens or CVS pharmacy OTC and buy the cream. Then he told me to use Ambi fading cream for the dark marks on my legs. None of these help. Although it is costly, but I'm taking the chance and try it, now I decided to go get Microdermabrasion where they use crystals to help me get rid of the marks and also im getting hair laser removal. I started tx 12/17/10. I have 12 sessions/tx to go to, hopefully it will work. I will keep you posted if/when I'm done with my treatment. Good luck to all.

"Princess"
Iknow this post is old but a great to fix this is using exfoliating gloves to open up the pores that have closed up after shaving so that the growing hair wouldnt poke skin n cause itching after exfoliating with the gloves use a moistrizing body wash such as olay or dove n then shave again then use baby oil gel i aw this technique on lxtv i believe n used it ever since...
I've had this same problem for years! And to put it frankly, it *****!! I don't know anyone else personally that suffers from it. But a friend introduced me to the glorious world of epilators and it works like a charm! Large sections of hair on my legs are now bare, as the hair hasn't grown back. I still miss the convience and effectiveness of shaving - epilating takes forever and i tend to miss the thinner hairs (and hurts in areas with dense hair growth)

I spoke with my doctor once about it and she prescribed me Uremol - its a hydrocortisone and a intensive moisturizer in one. Worked like a charm while I used it.

I'm going to try the mattress encasement thing. It sounds like it might be a cure.
Wow! I suffer from this 2! Am going crazy with it. Am actually scratching now!! Its strange cos ive only had it around 4/5 years and ive been shaving for 12 years. I find once the scratching starts i use a hell of a lot of cream mainly aqueous cream and that helps ease the itch but it doesnt go away! My fiance actually has to hold my hands sometimes as i scratch that bad ive made myself bleed many times and have been left with multiple scrach marks for days afterwards.

I think am defo going to try the cover for my pillows and matteress and fingers crossed they help as i do only scratch when in bed or if ive been in the bed and got out.

If i do find a solution i promise ill post and let u ladies in on the secret!!! Good luck to you and hopefully ill be back soon with good news  :-D x
I have suffered this problem exactley as described and am happy to say i have conquered mine and this is my shaving regime now. Prefereably do it in the bath, start by a nice soak first to soften the skin and hair, next prop up leg out of water and wipe excess water off just with your hands, this is so the shave product stays thick and is not watered down, then apply a product called Trishave, is available in Australia at Priceline and Coles Supermarkets and im sure elsewhere, let sit on legs for a minute or 2. then shave gently using razor like a schick quattro or similar with a bouncy head, which prevents u from pushing too hard and scraping your skin, then rinse, sometimes to complete, a cold water rinse helps too, then a pat dry and a good application of AvenoSkin Relief with cooling Menthol. This has truly worked for me. If i digress from this routine, the itch returns. so please give it a go.
I feel your pain. I live with the itch almost 24/7. I dont have it the day i shave, but for the next 3-6 days after my legs itch so bad i literally have to drag a knife (or other sharp object) down then repeatedly. The only thing that stops the itch is pain. *****. Ive tried everything and it doesnt work. No one i know deals with it so its nice to know theres others out there that do. Good luck to everyone dealing with this and ill be sure to try some of the new things ive seen here.
I've had painfully itchy legs now for about 4 years. It usually only happens at night the itch starts and then seems to move to my back. Along with the itch comes large welts like hives. When I shave I know I'm in for it.  However, I started to get laser and I I have to admit that the itch and hives has minimized some.  I started taking zyrtec and sometimes I'll take childrens benadryl.  I went to an alergist and she alerted me to some allergies. Pollen, mold, cats.  I did however come to find out that I am alergic (allergic) to Aspartame!!! Yes....I started to drink crystal light after my last child was born and that's when this crazy itch started.  Look up Aspartame side effects.  Also, my dermatologist prescribed this ointment for my itch, it's amazing. It's called mometasone cream.  The itch stops after I use it. Gone No Itch.  If you can't afford laser, try the epilady or waxing.  Good luck, I hope this helps. I haven't had a severe reaction since I stopped drinking crystal light or any diet soda. I do still get slight itches on my leg but that cream stops it completely.
I have the same problem. I dread shaving because of it. I paid $1200.00 per leg to American Laser Center and they lied to me and said I was a perfect candidate, light skin and dark hair, I went for 2 years with no result. It's a scam. If it doesn't work for you they will tell you they guaranteed the treatment not the results. Now I'm back to shaving. I have tried lotions, creams, shaving gel, shaving cream, and everything else I could think of. I did not have this problem until I was pregnant with my second child, so I thought there was a connection. I had hoped it would go away after I gave birth, but I didn't have such luck. I thought I was alone in this fight against "the itch". I hope I can find a solution soon. If I do I will definitely share what I find.  
Well, I put up a post on 29.11.10 about my extreme problems with itchy legs (beating them until they bleed because the pain feels better than the itchiness). If this sounds familiar then please do what I have done. LASER HAIR REMOVAL. I've only had 3 sessions so far and it's made an incredible difference! The hair starts falling out 1-2 weeks after each session. I scratched as usual for about a week after my first treatment and haven't needed to scratch since. The results are sooo much better than I could have expected. I'm not stopping now though just because the itching has stopped, I'm going to have permanent hairfree legs soon too!
The only thing is that you need to be careful where you go. Do your research and find a place using up to date technology and with well qualified staff. I go to the Medical Aesthetic & Laser Clinic in Melbourne and would recommend them to anyone.
Good luck!
I have been suffering from the same problem for about 2 or more years . It was to a point this spring I was dreading having to shave my legs because I did not want to have to deal or suffer with itching and creating more scars on my legs.

I have tried all lotions, shaving creams/gels, razors, itch creams, detergents for clothes. I have allergies and thought maybe it is a reaction to my environment not actually the shaving that was doing it.

This week I used schick "intuition" razor with the built in lotion/soap bar.  I did not use any shaving cream because that leaves residue on your legs. I exfoliated before shaving with a natural exfoliating scrub, then tried shaving in the opposite direction. After I rinsed my legs thoroughly, and did not apply any lotion afterwards.

My personal testing has determined that in order for the hair to grow through the skin you don't want to block the hair follicles with lotion or cream. And you need to exfoliate!!!

I shaved my legs before I went to bed, no lotion applied afterwards. I was going to apply lotion in the morning but decided not to. I made sure to exfoliate as well. So far a full day after my legs started to get itchy at night. My friend gave me an ingrown hair lotion to stop the itch, which helped at first, but did not last. That night before bed I applied Spectro EczemCare Intense Rehydration Cream with Aveeno Baby daily lotion with Collodial Oatmeal. It helped a lot, but I could still feel the urge to itch but it kept me from itching in my sleep.

I think in order to avoid this you really need to shave everyday, so grow back doesn't happen. Which really who wants to have to do that everyday! So I don't have to shave everyday for the rest of my life this is my plan and recommendations to fellow sufferers:

1) Exfoliate skin on legs in shower/bath with exfoliating gel.

2) Shave in evening with "Intuition" razor. Also to change the blade frequently. So no bacteria or dull blades.

3) Shave in reverse direction, so with hair growth down the leg, not up as normally done. So hair can grow downwards more easily and break through skin easier.

4) Rinse legs thoroughly after shaving.

5) Apply Aveeno anti itch lotion and or Spectro EczemCare lotion in morning and at night. But not right after shaving, as this will block the open hair follicle.

6) Get allergy covers for mattress and pillow

7) Change bedding sheets etc. at least once a week and use a non-scented laundry detergent. Like Tide Free or something.

8) Where long pajama pants to bed to keep legs more protected, even wear soft gloves to bed to prevent scratching in your sleep.

So far I hope this will work. I will try anything! It is really quite depressing and annoying for the season if this affects you.

Off to exfoliate!
Good luck!
Amy
I have sinus allergies, all year long. I noticed yesterday when I was sweeping the patio outside my legs started to get itchy again. Also when I go to bed my sinuses are bad I have used the breathe right nasal strips to help me breathe at night. This is also when my legs become severely itchy. Its as thought they know as soon as I change into my pajamas its time to start being itchy. :-(

I am thinking as well there might be an allergy connection to the itchy legs, I also have a cat, so this doesn't help my allergies it just makes all my other allergies more heightened, that is why I think my legs bother me now, as they never used to.

So I am getting a mattress cover for dust mites pronto! And will try to make my bedroom more allergen free.

I also liked the suggestion someone had with keeping a really clean razor to prevent bacteria.
iam  25/26 year old and been having this problem for years now,i honestly thought i was the only one that had this..iam definitly gonna get those covers and see if it helps,i was gonna try waxing but sometimes those things run so much,have any of you guys tryed waxing?and does it help stop the itching??
Hey everyone!

So recently (within the last 3 - 4 weeks) I've noticed my legs have been getting ridiculously itchy. It was hard for me to pinpoint the problem then as I had changed three things - 1. I bought a new brand of razors I hadn't used before; 2. I changed my laundry detergent from Tide to Purex, which I have never in my life used before!; and 3. I got sunburned.

Immediately when my legs started itching, I figured it was the sunburn. I have a prescription sunburn cream that I applied and 2 - 3 days later, my skin was no longer red. The itching persisted. That's when I realized the new detergent. I experimented and put on a pair of leggings after washing and drying them. About 40 minutes later, the itch was unbearable and I even got a few hives! Claritin and a change of clothes helped. I rewashed everything in Tide and have been fine since. For good measure, I bought the razors I was used to using.

But the itching came back. Coincidentally, I have moved back to my parents' house and am using a different mattress. I have a bed protector that doesn't fully encase a mattress but hopefully this will do for the time being. I am terribly allergic to dust mites and think this may be the cause of my intense itching. I realized reading through everyone's posts that the itching only occurs WHEN I'M IN BED!!!

And it has to be when I'm in my bed, too! I slept over a friend's house recently and experienced no itching while I was there! Hopefully this mattress cover works. I'm going to wash these sheets and change them out as well.. If not, I'm afraid I'm at a loss. :(  
you got a point,the only time i really really itch is when iam in bed also,,,****,i probley might have to take your advice and change the detergent n see if it works....
I came across this forum last night when my legs were unbearably itchy and i had scratched them until i had many spots of blood in some areas. I needed a quick solution so I could sleep. and the only anti-itch remedy i could find in my room was VAGISIL. lol. Im not even kidding, i applied lavishly all over my legs and had a sound sleep. But I'm done with shaving. Im going to let my hair grow out and start waxing again like i used to. It takes more time and hurts a bit but so worth it! feels great for weeks.
Wow!!! I thought I was the only one dealing with this for so many years!  It would happen when I would shave and even now after waxing.  I've read that sesame oil and coconut oil both have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties but that's not helping.  I believe this is folliculitis but I could be wrong.  I'm not happy anyone else is dealing with this but I'm happy I'm not the only one.
If you find a cure, PLEASE post it!!!
Thanks.
Hi everyone, I usually never post on forums, but I have been reading several forums on "itchy leg's after showering" for several years now and have tried almost everything like most of you and I am fairly convinced most of my doctors think I am crazy, but I tried something I read on a forum recently and it helped me.  I do realize everyone is different, but if this can help one other person, it will be worth it.  I have a metal allergy (just diagnosed through random events) and come to find out the metal in water is enough to make my legs itch. I put a shower filter on my showerhead (this was the idea that I got from reading forums before I got diagnosed) and I haven't itched after shaving since.  I have recently been diagnosed with several allergies, but removing all of my other allergens did not affect my itching, just the shower filter.  Good luck to all of you in finding what your trigger is.  I have itched for over 12 years now and it's SO nice to shower and not itch!
I have this problem however, mine is much worse.  I start to itch within minutes of shaving!  I have tried hydrocortisone cream, olive oil, baby oil, moisturizing cream, lotions, aloe vera gel, cold wash cloths, oatmeal baths, I have even tried using deoderants!  I am desperate and don't know what to do.  Showers help but I can't stay in too long or the water gets cold.  If any one has any other suggestions I would really appreciate it.
I am like you...the itching starts immediately after shaving, sometimes before I get out of the bath. So it can't be, for me, the hair trying to push back out. I get hives, as diagnosed by a dermatologist when I happened to have shaved one day before a visit for something else. She said she'd never heard of hives from shaving. I've been getting them since I started shaving, 30 years ago.

Things I've observed:
It's more likely to happen in the summer.
NO SOAP. I don't use soap on my legs, ever, unless there is visible dirt. If I use it, I avoid shaving for a few days after. If I've soaped, it is way, way, *way* worse.
SHAVE UNDER WATER. Occasionally I shave with shaving cream, to get a closer shave, but then I risk the hives. What works the best to keep them at bay is to shave under water. Nothing only the legs, just the razor, the legs, and the water.
Lotion after is must.
Baby oil is better, but messier.
Cold helps. If I have to shave in the shower, instead of the bath, I run the cold water on my legs after. If it gets bad, I get an ice cube to run over my legs. It actually helps to imagine standing waist-deep in ice cold lotion if I start itching and don't have access to lotion or ice.

Hope what I have learned helps someone.
Do any of you have cats? I've always had a rash around my bikini line but I think that ever since we got cats the itching came. I feel like it got progressively worse over the years, especially back of my legs - 12-24 hrs after shaving. Maybe this has to do with allergies of sorts- to mites or cat dander...
I have this problem. My itching and burning starts immediately after i shower. I can't use lotion or certain shaving creams because it burns and itches when I shave. I usually use skintimate shaving cream for sensitive skin and it doesn't make my legs burn or itch as bad as others do Aveeno for sensitive skid works well too. Also, I rub vaseline on my legs after i shave and let it sit for a little while and wipe the excess off. It has helped me a lot! Hope this helps someone! : )
Hi me too is the same!I shave my legs and the itching begins :-( Sometime i start itching as soon as i get into the bath before even touching a razer!I hate it,i can,t go swimming or wear shorts or skirts in summer as the scars on my legs are horrible!!!I tend to use an oil called emu oil which helps alittle but not as much as i would like.It has sooo many great properties but not a solution for my extremely itchy legs!One of which is that it is great for old and new scars which i have lots of :-(I too also have the problem under my armpits after shaving but not as bad is bareable!It is deffinetly much worse when i,m getting undressed and into bed!Also been to doctors and they said they don,t know what is causing it :-( The laser treatment and the allergies is a thing to look into also the encasing your mattress and pillows (DEFFO GONNA GIVE THAT AGO)Hope you all find something to help this problem go away as i know it is so fustrating Machaela x
I have this problem too, mabe it's the metal inthe raor. I am allergic to mst metals and when you shave you basically scratch off the first layer of skin and expose it to the metal...
Hi, I've suffered with itchy legs after shaving for sometime now and after a long time of wondering what causes it, I've come to the conclusion that it is a mild allergy to dust mites. I only realised when I was moving out of my previous house - all that packing away old dusty books and clothes made my eyes and nose run like crazy. I thought maybe dustmites had something to do with my crazily itchy legs after shaving too so I researched how to minimise dust mites and found that if you mix pure eucalyptus oil with water in a spray bottle and use it on bed sheets, clothes, carpets and furniture the dust mites are killed or at least less rampant. I also purchased an anti-dust mite mattress cover. I'm happy to say that I have shaved my legs for the first time in a long time this week and have been itch-free! I mist the inside legs of my pyjama bottoms and jeans with the eucalyptus spray  just to make sure they're well protected, its really easy. If you follow this advice, make sure you dont apply the eucalyptus oil undiluted to skin, its quite potent and may cause discomfort. Hope this helps, i know how nuts i used to go with my itchy legs!!
i am 17 and have been having this problem for quite a while, it is so painful and  my legs are covered in red bumps and when i bathe they sting. Alot of the suggestions on here sound really helpful and i will be trying many, espec the changing of bed sheets and razors regularly etc. I also believe i could be having a reaction to dust mites. thank you to people who took the time to write their findings on here, they will really help
hi all!!
finally i'm not alone!!! since i started shaving i have had this problem!! today i thought enough is enough i'm going to look for answers on the net!! sadly there is no resolving this issue but it was nice to know that i am not the only one!!
what i have found to help is that when i shower i burn myself with the hot water! after you've done the whole clean and rinse thing turn the cold water off but slowly until you feel that u can't handle the heat anymore keeping it all the while on the itchy areas.
i know its not a solution but it helps if you need a restful night.
strong s to everyone and my thoughts are with you all!!
Hi every1
I haven,t recently been suffering with real bad anxiety and panic attack problems so i did some research on the internet and found out some really interesting stuff!I know your probaly thinking what has this got to do with our itchy legs but let me tell you it has got everything too do with it!There are many symptoms of anxiety,one including really itchy skin!Just a thought that many of you are maybe feeling quite anxious and not even realise it which is why you are having this awfull problem with the legs.Please look up the linden Method he is fantastic,its costs £117 for the full package but well worth a try as many of you have already wasted so much money on other products which haven,t worked!I know anxiety might not be the problem for many of you but also it might be for others.Hope this helps alot of you suffering with the same problem i have,i am deffinetly going too buy the package and see for myself if it works and will deffo keep you all posted!Take care Machaela xx
I've had this same problem in the past, and all creams/gels/allergy meds failed to help.  Want to know what did help?  Shaving more often.  I was avoiding shaving as long as humanly possible because the itch was so bad, but when I eventually forced myself to shave every day or every other day, the itching went away almost entirely.  For me, anyway, the itching is because I wasn't getting the exfoliation I really needed to keep my skin healthy, and every other type of exfoliation I used (loofa, salt/sugar scrubs, even pedicure exfoliators) weren't doing as well as shaving to keep my skin exfoliated.
I use to hav tht problem then i started scrubbing my leggs with a bath brush and using dove or any soap with oil like nivea body wash. Wash what u hav to wash first let this be the last thing you do then scrub and shave. When done . Do not use lotions with perfume. Try eucerine its a thick cream.
Hello Everyone,
I have been getting so frustrated, like many of you, with my intense, chronic itchy legs that I decided to do research on remedies. I'm surprised to see so many responses out there, seeing as when I went to a doctor for it, he looked at me like I was crazy for wasting his time on a clearly "dry skin issue". He, like many others passed me off with the solution of using Lac-Hydrin, Calamine lotion, benadryl, and other itch creams, which does NOTHING for me. I have dealt with itchy legs for a few years now, but I am not completely convinced that my problem is due to shaving. I know that the itch gets worse after I shave, but I have gone long periods without shaving, and the sensation is still there DAILY. The things I have tried with no help have been:

- oatmeal baths
- Lac-Hydrin
- every itch cream known to man
- Non-scented lotion (apply 1-2 times every day)
- Switching to Dove bar of soap
- Changing to sensitive laundry detergent
- Changing out sheets frequently

And, I had even put on a protective covering on my mattress with no help, but I just got one from Target, and don't know if there is one that is specifically targeting dust mites, allergies, etc that I should try.. so I'm going to look into that.

Some things that I have tried that have sort-of helped (hit or miss really) is:
- Bikini Zone wash (I used it on my legs while I shaved)
- rubbing anti-bacterial gel on my legs (I think it had something to do with the alcohol that killed whatever irritant was on my skin)

Other than that, I am stumped. What I am really looking for are PREVENTATIVE measures I can take, not to stop the itching sensation after it has already come on.

Everyone had great advice on here which I am excited to try. I am also looking into possibly making my own soap (I have very sensitive skin in general). Some of the products that are supposedly good for you are olive oil, baking soda/water as an exfoliate, and there are apple cider recipes some people use for bathing as well. Fingers crossed! I'm just glad to know that so many others are dealing with this problem. Thanks for the post, and all of the responses, very helpful!
I go and tan my legs in a tanning bed for about a week and it lasts for 3-4 months, completely stops the itching
Like both of you ( and sunshinerebel, i'm also male) itching starts immediately after showering.
citizenfong, I suggest you read this post closely
When you made the comment about soap, I remembered I stopped using soap on my legs years ago because it was causing my to have itchy legs.
This October I wanted to go out in a skirt for Halloween and thought, only way to wear a skirt is with smooth sexy legs.
Well anyway, After shaving I immediately found the same reaction as you.
I remembered my dad telling me that I may feel burn on my face after shaving for the first time ( facial hair)
He was correct also.
So I figured it was a combination between the soap and that with the legs.
But as so many of you have this issue with legs, I don't think the burn is true, also my legs haven't been burning they have been itching and hurting.

I also read someone's comment from eailer about wrapping their leg in cold wet towels to bring relief, (WHICH DOES WORK)

My thoughts are, Soap on skin causes irritation, ( and I had used non medicated, no scented, Dove soap --- Bar not lotion) when I found out soap was causing me irritation, when that didn't help, citizenfong had said before, I stopped using soap on legs.

My buddy did the same thing, shaving his legs, he just liked smooth legs better than harry legs, CAN YOU BLAME HIM LADIES? Really!?

But he had no complaints about itch or irritation.

In conclusion, I'd say, stop using soap on legs,
Try the cold under water shaving, I haven't yet,

And besides that, I'm at a loss, It hurts so much and personally... I'm hoping I can live with it through Halloween, let the hair grow back to how it was, and hope I never have to go through it again.

I'm french so I have much more hair on my legs even at 18 1/2 then most (even middle aged men) have on their legs.

I don't know what to tell you folks, hair on legs suck, shaving *****,

Being human, *****....
He was correct also.

Being human, *****....
I've had this same problem since I was 11 and I'm now 24 and I've been to two doctors and they both said the same thing. They told me I have a nickel allergy and I was allergic to the razors and buttons on my jeans. I've tried epilating and that didn't work on my legs just my armpits. I still haven't found a solution for my legs and I've tried almost everything.
I've found something that helps with the itching although it doesn't make it go away 100% and only lasts as long as you're doing it, wear Pantyhose! I'm not exactly sure why they help, but they definitely subdue the itch, I think it has to do with letting the hair grow without interruption, and maybe just by touching the skin it is soothing, of course you don't want to wear pantyhose everywhere, at least I don't want to, being a 20 yr old Male I only wear the things around the house with all the blinds closed. but even just wearing them when it gets unbearable is a great get away from the itch, and they're not uncomfortable and they don't get hot or anything and they let your legs breathe, I hope this can help someone, I even wear them to bed and it helps immensely!  
It is currently 2:46 am and I have just awoken from my sleep with "the itch"! UGH I feel as though I am going crazy! IDK what to do! I am in tears and my legs are literally bleeding in spots from the itching (sorry for the gross details but I suppose all of you feel my pain). My fiance tries to sympathize but he just doesn't understand!

I life many of you, begin feeling the itch within an hour or 2 of shaving and this started probably in the past year (since my daughter was born). Because of the horrible agony that this is causing me, I only shave when I HAVE to (and I live in Michigan so I can wear pants all year if I want). I plan of trying to shave more often such as daily of every other day and hopefully this will help some...I will let you know!

I began reading this page about an hour ago and like 15 minutes ago, I felt as though the itching had subsided enough to attempt to go to sleep. So I went into my room and climbed into bed, as soon as my head hit the pillow, I was up again itching. So now I'm back on the couch....maybe I'll sleep here....Tonight was the first night in prolly 3 months where I was able to get to bed early and get more than my usual 3-4 hours of sleep (I am the mother of a 1 year old and a 2 year old, work full time as a nursing aid, and go to school full time so I don''t have much time to do anything) and my ******* decides to shave! I apologize for turning this post into a whine fest, however it feels good to know that there are others out there that understand my agony! I am seriously considering laser hair removal! I cannot live with this for the rest of my life!!

Good Luck to everyone and I hope we all find a relief soon to end this nightmare!
Its probably razor burn. Don't shave with a blunt shaver.  
I used to get this from Tanning and Shaving. There is a RX that will immediately calm and rid you of the rash.  Kenalog 40 mg with equal part mixture of Moisturel. The Pharmacist will mix.
You must shave with the Quatro Razors  Expensive blade replacements but worth it. Aveno liquid bath soap will lather up and has moisturizer in it.
This is Spongiotic Dermatitis and will drive you crazy.
Diet plays into this as well. Do some research on sugars and White flour.
Could one common denominator be that all of us sufferers sit in our livingroom chairs or computer chairs in the nude sometimes (especially when we have insomnia and go back and forth between bed and the couch or EZ chair or computer chair without getting dressed -- assuming we sleep in the nude or with shorts on)?  Perhaps there is some chemical in the seat of our chairs (whether it be livingroom or computer chair) that exacerbates the problem or contributed to bacteria in this area?  Just a thought.  

I tend to believe its a problem with both bacteria and hair trying to grow through unexfoliated skin in the days following the shaving.  In my case, the problem doesn't happen below the knee, and doesn't happen on the FRONT of my thighs, only the BACK of my thighs and lower buttocks.  Even the bikini and underarms are okay.  So it's got something to do (at least in my case) with what is touching the backs of my thighs and lower buttocks.  Perhaps bacteria and sweat are issues.

I'm going to try antibacterial treatments and putting a folded clean towel down wherever I sit in the house if I'm wearing shorts (or nothing).  I also  like the idea of using an antibacterial on the razor itself before shaving.  Betadine, which doctors use for pre-surgery, is a cheap and great antibacterial.  I'm not sure where to get it in large, cheap quantities, but it's mostly iodine anyway.  Probably any good anti-bacterial would work.

Scratching would only make things worse and spread and increase the existing bacteria problem.  Is distilled white vinegar an antibacterial?  It's pretty cheap and could be put in a spray bottle in the shower for convenience.

medel...its possible...makes me think about that too...makes alot of sence,i know this has nothin to do w/this topic,but i am alergic (allergic) to fake jewelery.makes a lil sence when u put 2 together..for me anyway...
I have the same issue...12 to 24 hours supoer itchy legs. I scratch until it bleads which takes weeks to heal. I have tried:
1. Shaving with different blades - minimal difference
2. Different shaving creams - minimal difference (Gillette sensitive skin works best)
3. Braun mens electric razor - some improvement

The best help so far has been Johnson & Johnson baby cream. 90% improvement.
Reposting this . . .

I have the same problem!! I've tried everything the only thing that has worked is shaving every single day.. And that gets annoying!
Let's add I exfoliate my skin but end up using that to scratch with mid shower :(
I have the same issue and have tried not shaving for a while but then I get more bumps when my hair is too long! Ughhhh what has helped for me is to shave my legs with conditioner in really hot water. Also I try to shave routinely for instance it's weird but if I shave every 5 days it seems to help if I shave too soon I bleed if I wait too long I get major bumps. I'm definately going to try exfoliating and I also found on sephora they sell these pads to apply to help prevent it. I'm going to give it a try...
the best solution is to shave while having a shower! not before or after, but during a shower! make sure to wipe your shaver blade clean to prevent rusting.
I have the same problem that all of you have- insanely itchy legs within 12-24 hours of shaving.  They are usually the worst in the middle of the night.  I also tried everything- various shaving creams, razors,  moisturizers, being tested for allergies (no to dust mites!), etc...  My itching is not limited to my legs, but that is definitely where it is the worst!

I FINALLY got an answer after I went to a new dermatologist.  I have something called Atopic Dermatitis. If you have this, your skin lacks a protein needed to retain moisture. She suggested I use Cetaphil Restoraderm products specifically formulated for Atopic skin.  I now use the moisturizer and the body wash.  I can't say I'm 100% better, but the itching is much, much less than it was. She also said to limit the length of my showers, and to use water that was not really hot.  When I'm still itchy, I use a little cortisone cream (there is one for eczema) and take an antihistamine.  I hope this helps some of you!
Hi there all

I too have been through the regiment of itchy scratchy horrible bleeding legs it got soo bad that i had to lather myself with cream and put stockings on to stop me from scratching...

I have tried several things but have found only 2 things that are all natural and are cheap to use

First of all throw away calamine and moisturiser as both seam to make it worse.

The two remdies are 1. Use 2 tbsp of bicarb in a foot spa and shave your legs over the footspa or 1 cup to bath water if you are taking a bath... there are no chemicals and it does not irratate the skin
The 2nd is to use olive oil as a way to keep your skin from drying it is natural absorbs into the skin properly and the Greeks and Italian have been doing it for years....

Good luck all
from No More Suffering
Colleen, I would like to try those Cetaphil products.  I have had these symptoms for the last two years after 40 years of shaving!!  I was wondering if your skin appeared very dry.  Mine does not.  Except for the bruises and scratches, you wouldn't know anything is wrong with it.
I also have the same problem with terrible awful itching after shaving. My daughter suggested I shave using very cold water. I tried it and it virtually stopped the itching. Cold water then shaving creme then a very cold water rinse. Works for me and hopefully for you. Try a a little spot on your leg before you do your whole leg.

Nancy
I've had this problem too, for years. At first it wasn't bad or frequent, but in the last two years it has gotten way worse. I get the itchy bumps on my legs about 24-48 hours after shaving. It seems like I get it more at home and in bed too. One night it was so bad I might have gotten 2 hours of sleep, so I finally went to the doctor. And allergist. And dermatologist. Apparently I'm not allergic to anything obvious, so dust mites are out, and apparently I'm not allergic to foods or chemicals. I've been prescribed both antibiotics and antifungal medicines, as well as steroid creams. I don't know yet how to prevent this, but I do have 2 things to say.

First, the allergist told me that I may have a mild form of dermagraphia, which is were the walls of cells are weak, and scratching causes them to break, releasing histamines that cause itching. It isn't an allergic reaction; it's basically that itching causes a reaction that causes more itching. I know that impressions in my skin of clothes like wrinkles from jeans if I was sitting also cause slight itching for me. I was told to take a non-drowsy allergy medicine like Allegra daily. This does seem to help the itching get too out of control, even though it does still itch.

Second, the only thing that stops the itching for me once it starts is the Zeno. It's actually an anti-pimple thing that I got at Target. The version I got costs between $35 and $40, and is good for 80 uses. The tip of it heats up (I think it's aluminum?) and is supposed to kill acne bacteria. I got it because my boyfriend told me how he used to stop mosquito bites from itching by burning them with the heated metal part of a lighter. The tip heats up and it times itself for two minutes, I think. For me, one bump will be so itchy that it makes a hand-size area around it feel itchy. I find that itchy bump and put the Zeno on it. The Zeno stings while on, and sometimes I know I've got the right spot because it will itch like crazy with the heat on it. But after the two minutes, I rub it with my palm for a couple seconds, and the itch is gone. Sometimes it comes back, but usually not for 8-12 hours. Usually the itch doesn't come back at all. I usually don't have more than 3 or four itchy bumps at a time; it just feels like more because they make the whole area itch. The Zeno leaves a little red circle on my skin for a few hours after, so I'm not sure why anyone would use it on their face, except at night. Or maybe that's just me. If itching wakes me up, I use the Zeno and can go right back to sleep.

I was also told to use RestoraDerm or CeraVe lotion and body wash. I think the CeraVe is a good lotion, but I don't think it does anything else. I'm currently experimenting with an electric razor, but that doesn't seem to make a difference either. Shaving with a razor causes the worst bumps, and shaving downwards doesn't shave the hair plus I still get bumps. Veet Fast Acting Gel Cream is the chemical hair remover I sometimes use; it causes fewer bumps, works in 4 minutes, and doesn't have a strong chemical smell. I'm also experimenting with AmLactin, an alpha-hydroxy lotion that i got at CVS. I tried to prevent getting the bumps by using it daily, and I got a chemical burn. So I'm going to try using it only once or twice a week, about the time I usually start getting the bumps to see if exfoliating then helps prevent the bumps.

Though seriously, If you can't stop the itching once it starts, try the Zeno. If you don't like it, you can sent it to me, because it's the only thing that stops the itching for me:)

I have the same situation.  My legs look totally normal- a little razor burn sometimes, but they don't look horrendously dry. Honestly, after using those Cetaphil products, my skin overall felt SO much better!  I didn't realize how dry it had felt before til I used them.  They really do help retain moisture and make your skin much softer.  I still have some itching, but not nearly as bad.  You just have to be consistent with using those products to notice any difference.
Hey I just wanted to tell u but i feel your pain i just finished itching my legs I found this lotion ANTI-ITCH cream Dr.Sheffield Oh my gosh it helps your legs sooo much a cool relief and u stop itching but u have to apply it every time its starts itching I luv it! Good Luck:) By the way thanks for all the comments I saw it helped alot:)
I'm sure that rubbing alcohol will solve 99% of these itchy legs problems. it worked for me. your legs get infected after shaving, that's why it itches. The alcohol disinfects them. Use 50% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. The burn says its working.
Did you read "contact dermatitis" in the doctor's answer? That's a term for demodex mites. They live on almost everyone and in the pores. Evidently, your wife has them pretty badly in the hair follicles on her legs.
Please tell her to massage cherry Phillips' milk of magnesia into the pores of her legs. Some debris, some doctors call dead skin, should come out of the pores. Add water as the mom dries to continue massaging.
Hand sanitizer on top of the mom will speed up the process.
Wash the product off or wipe off with a wet wash cloth after massaging in or at least ten minutes.
Rub in and on vaseline or coconut oil or castor oil or olive oil or shey butter or any pure oil. Leave on for as long as she can and massage the areas which itch. Hand sanitizer helps in this step to get the demonex mite out of the pores. Wipe or wash off the oil after massaging and repeat the next day.
Tea Tree oil 5% mixed in with the oil helps get rid of the mites.
Alcohol, lemon juice, sulfur cream, Eucerin or Equate lotion for very dry
skin with alpha hydroxy would also help decrease the mites
i have the same problem as your wife... a day after shaving,  i would itch especially at night when i go to bed and when i am cold...goosebumps and i start itching til i bleed and it actually feels good to itch.. my husband have to hold my hands sometimes to keep me from itching for blood... i get tired of this... i hate shaving because of it. but my husband cant stand hairy legs, its not sexy lol so i do it for him. i have tried a lot of things as u mention, and it has not work... only solution i come up with is to stop shaving period lol i am glad i am not alone in this..thought i was going crazy... thanks for the post
I have had the same problem since I had my first child 2 years ago. I went to my allergist and he gave me a steroid cream to put on twice a day and it immediately takes away the itch that I get directly after shaving. I too have tried everything else and have had no luck. Good luck!
I have been dealing with this problem for few years now. Tried differrnt razors or shaving creams. Whats seems to be working for me is using an electric shaver and if my legs start to itch I use Golden Bond body powder. For bikini area I use anti bumps shaving cream and shave with the hair. After Im done I apply after shave soothing balm for sensitive skin. It all helps but I wish I could find permanent solution!!!
try putting virgin coconut oil! Very effective.cause it reduces inflammation and superiorly moisturize the skin and the hair! Make sure ur legs are clean when u put vco.
I know this is an old post but I FINALLY found something that works for my itchy legs after shaving.
I apply Neosporin after shaving and apply for only a couple days following.  I have no more itching.  YIPPIE!!
It's so comforting to know I'm not alone with this, can't believe just how many people are going through it too! :(

It's driving me crazy, mine happens the night I go to sleep after shaving and continues until my hair has visibly grown back. My legs are so itchy that I'm covered in scratch marks, I go to the gym everyday and swim, so I have to shave my legs and I must look like I self harm or something :( They are horrible and make me feel so self-conscious.

I've tried the whole bed sheet suggestions to prevent dust mites and moisturising my legs makes it worse. I've been to the doctors and all they ever prescribe is lotion, argh!! Does anyone have any other ideas!?

Thank you!!

Thank you!!
Hi there i have the same exact problem my legs itch so bad that they end up bleeding and i get these litle dots on my legs that look so gros. i have reaserched for ages trying to find a way to shave regularly again because this never ever use to happen to me when i started shaving my legs, and im only 20 so its a real sucky problem. unfortunantly there is no way to save ourselves from the pain unless we get laser hair removal, wich we all know cost the world to get but if you ahve any luck finding anything that even helps a little bit please let me know. Thanks its real nice to know im not the only one out there with this problem because i really thought i was.
Please do some research on Demodex Folliculorum (Face and Body Mites). Soaking in Borax can help leg and body itching. Mustard Powder is the secret. You can add it to lotion, shampoo, conditioner, body soap, and shaving cream ect. This tends to kill the parasites living in your hair follicule. Don't know the ratio off hand. Differs from person to person. All natural.
Vagicaine!! (It's actually for vaginal itching, but contains Benzocaine, so it works anywhere). My itching from shaving is on my upper/inner thighs, right above my knees.  It's horrible!!  (And I wear a military uniform, so I can't stand there diggin' and scratchin')!  Vagicaine is a Walmart brand, ('equate')--I carry it in my pocket, and slather it on anytime the itching starts.  However, I just found this link, and will try the advice.  www.livestrong.com/article/189606-how-to-prevent-itching-after-shaving/
Shaving WITH the grain of the hair, with a new blade makes sense--I already showered and shaved tonight, so I will try it tomorrow.
Sorry for your discomfort, ladies!  (And gentlemen)!
Ok.  So we know we are not crazy.  I just got through three days of the worst after shave itching ever.  As hard as I try not to scratch, (scratching seems to make it itch more) last night I managed to make my leg bleed.  I bruise easily so I also have a couple of bruises from the scratching. Here is what I learned this time around...try lanacane with Aloe spray... It seemed to help, especially before bedtime.  During the day I used 1% Hydrocortizone ointment; it seemed to stay on longer without rubbing off on my pants. It did have to rub it on a couple of times during the day.  I think it must have to do with new hair growth being trapped under the dry skin.  Also. When I shave at the end of my shower and I rub soap on my legs before shaving i don't usually have the problem.  This time I shaved dry after the shower...yes I know it was a dumb thing to..!ut I was in a rush.  Lived to regret it.  Good Luck may you all be itch free.
Same thing happened to me. Waxing too painful so I tried epilady. Sore at first but you get used to it also hair gets less. No more itching. Not as good as shaving but so much more comfortable. See what you think
Kmkay
I feel for you and I have the exact problem as well. We shave or epilate so we dont look like gorrilas but everything's got a price! I even applied lotion after shaving but I get bumps on my skin afterwards, the ones that look like tiny mosquito bites and how they itch! So I tried something else. The itch starts after a day or so after shaving or epilating so I get into the shower and scrub my legs and rinse with warm water. It helped for a few second then I use this product called Rapaid. I don't know if you can get it where you're at but basically, it's an anticeptic skin relief cream with tea tree oil, aloe vera and vitamin E. I bought it at a normal phamarcy. It cost around 5bucks. The bumps will go down and the itching subside. Do give it a try and I hope it helps.
Has anyone tried an empilator ?  I haven't but wonder if it would help.
What has helped me is to take bleach baths . I have eczema and it has been proven effective. I noticed it also reduced the itching, I think because it exfoliates the skin allowing the new hairs to come out easier.
I've had this same issue for only about 6 months but I went to the doctors and they said they didn't know what it was but thought it might be scabies cuz the irritation is usually located under the arms, behind the knees.. ect. And has similar symptoms. Is it a coincidence that that's where I shave too? To be on the safe side, I tried the scabies prescription 3times! which by the way IS NOT cheap. It didn't work. They gave me a dermatologist to go see but I can't afford it; being only 20 and no medical insurance. Tried benedryl, tea tree oils, all sorts of anti itch creams. Nothing has worked yet. I've been searching around and today I finally put two and two together-its from shaving! After reading everyone's responses, It makes so much more sense! Thankyou for having these discussions.
I have had this problem almost as long as I've been shaving. I usually try to avoid shaving, but sometimes it needs to be done. I have found some things that work for me short term. I'm still looking for a long term solution.

1. I live in CA and spent a summer in Georgia always wearing shorts. To keep my legs looking attractive, I shaved every day. The itch seemed to be less when constantly shaving.
2. When the itch gets really bad I put neosporin+pain relief on my legs. Of course this can get pricey when I do it all the time but it really makes the itch go away.
3. My friend plucks each individual hair from her legs instead of shaving. I will start to do this watching TV on some days but it takes a long time. There is little to no itch and it takes a lot longer to grow the hair back. I like this method except for the amount of time to do it. My friend has her daughter pull the hairs.

I hope this helps. I have also tried lotion everyday, but it barely takes the edge off. I'm really considering one of those laser hair removals though. The thought of not having to ever deal with it again is very appealing.
I know I'm late on this post but I too have been suffering with this same problem for years, since I started to shave as a teen. This also happens in my underarm and bikini area as well. I've tried the nair products but the hairs are to thick si that doesn't seem to work at all. I've tried shaving with olive oil but that also didn't work. I also get a lot of goosebumps and that just triggers the itching right away.

These are just a couple of things I've tried of soooooo many. I'm just so desperate for a solution to this, if anybody has found an answer to this please email me to ***@****.

Thank you so much and I hope you have found a cure
Here's what has worked for me! When they start to get itchy I wet my legs and use a wet pumice stone lightly in a circular motion (kind of like a loofah). It breaks open the almost invisible payer of skin that is covering the growing hair (which is what is making the skin itch.  Then I spray my legs with Bactine spray.  Itching gone.....it's the only relief I've been successful getting.  Once the skin is removed from on top of the hair like this the itching goes away. If I don't have Bactine I use hemmorhoid wipes with witch hazel....but the most crucial part is the loofah/pumice stone. As long as the skin is over the hair you'll itch....no matter what you apply. Hope this helps!
Wow i finally know im not the only one suffering. God i thought i was going insane. i have suffered for years trying loads of different things. Well i have a full page of different things to try. I am sitting up at 2am in the morning suffering. It has taken my mind off the legs for a bit so i will go buy some stuff tomorrow and try and now i think i can sleep as i have work early in the morning.     I do know what everyone is going through and deeply sympathise with you all.   I will write on here if i find something that works......Thank you for making me feel a bit more sane
ok i have tried tea tree oil spray which gave me some relief with the antiseptic in it. I then talked with a friend who is a doctors wife she told me to get some anti fungal cream as I have fungal legs thats why they get so itchy. I hope this can help some others. Everyone is going through something different but that is what worked for me.
Rub ice on your legs after u get out of the shower and dry off, then lotion. You won't itch after shaving again. I promise! I discovered this one day and it's also relaxing.
i have been suffering from this problem since long & tried most OTC and prescription solutions with no or little help. The only thing that my doctor prescribed and did give me complete relief was oral steroids. But, I cant take them all my life, right. I decided to stop shaving all together but it sucked to wear long pants and jeans in the summer when everyone else was wearing shorts. It was harder to go swim or to the beach. I decided to try permanent laser hair removal but for that I had to start shaving my legs again  and and the itch came back. For me the following interventions have helped

Switching from Tide laundry detergent to Arm and Hammer detergent for sensitive skin.

Using fabric softener sheets for sensitive skin (fragrance free). I now buy everything thats for sensitive skin. Even if on a baseline your skin is not sensitive, all that itching will make it sensitive.

Exfoliating my legs regularly with a body scrub & pumice stone

Vaseline Aloe Vera after shaving & every time it itches (the drugstore brand aloe vera dint help as much)

1% cortizone cream (which I have around me at all time- its in my bag, my car, bedside)

allegra 24 hrs twice a day on bad days.

But the intervention that has helped the most is putting ice in a small ziploc bag and putting it on the itchy areas. Now, post shaving, whenever I have an urge to itch, I simply put ice pack on the area, the itch jumps to another area & I simply put an ice pack there. It really works on my legs. I even keep some ice pack on my bedside table & use it if I wake up from sleep. I have a ziploc bag with me at all times and just request someone for ice if i need it when i am not at home (restaurant, burger king, college cafeteria). This has helped me the most.

Also, for everyone else with this problem we must religiously cut out nails. Its best to have short nails, the shortest you can cut & file them well. Everytime you shave, trim your nails. The longer the nails, the worse damage you ll do to your skin.

Calamine lotions (which I used in plenty in the beginning) made my itch a lot lot worse. They would give temporary relief but over all they would dry my skin and caused a vicious circle. I will never use them for this again.

Hope this helps.
Hello Everyone,

I started shaving at about age 13 or 14, the next day I remember being in school and the back of my thigh started itching and I could not get relief by scratching through my jeans. Later that night my legs itched so bad I scratched and started bleeding and it has been that way 12-24 hours after every shave since. I am now 25 and after trying everything I could afford I have only found 1 way of relieving the pain all together. Tanning.

Usually at the beginning of every summer I start tanning a little because I'm very fair skinned and don't want to burn and shaving is a breeze as long as I tan every day. When you tan you are exfoliating your skin (aka burning off the top layer) and removing the dead skin so the hair can grow back without as much irritation. You are also applying heat which opens up your pores. Unfortunately, I do not care to tan every day for the rest of my life. Not really into that leather look. So the rest of the year I suffer.

I find that different clothing can irritate it worse than others, especially loose clothing or bare legs under sheets which is why going to bed can be worse - also because I don't have the rush of the day to keep my mind off of the itchiness. Winter is really bad because my skin in dry and goosebumps really poke that hair through and increase the itching so I don't shave unless I have to. Luckily my husband doesn't seem to mind.

My older sister has the same problem and she waxes regularly and has killed a lot of hair follicles making hair not grow back in some places and also making the hair thinner so it grows back in easier. However, waxing is very painful for me and gives me a bad rash.

I know my itch is not because of razors, I've used them all, it doesn't matter if it is the first shave or the 120th with a razor, it itch always comes. I know it is not because of an infection or bacteria, it itches in the same places every time for nearly 11 years. (Back of legs starting behind the knee all the way up and around the bikini line. Also the armpits. All the places that hair grows in different directions.) I know it is not because of the direction I shave, I've tried every direction - shaving against the grain can make it worse and cause more in-grown hairs, however, any regrowth is itchy for me. I know it is not because of dust mites, ewwww and it doesn't explain why I only itch on the back of my legs and not the whole leg.

Personally I believe it only effects some women (and men I see) more than others because we were blessed/cursed with a unique hair pattern that makes regrow difficult to break through the skin. So in those specific areas it will itch more than others. It could also be a type of skin, I know I am fair skinned and more sensitive to certain lotions and fragrances. Maybe I am just more sensitive to regrowth as well. fml.

Yes, this itch keeps me up at night and even wakes me up. Cutting my nails can only make me scratch harder to get relief. If it is bad at night I get up and exfoliate my legs with a hand mit loofah and then add some Aveeno lotion for temporary relief. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. Can depends on my hormones and how irritated I am.

Honestly, I have given up on making it stop all together because I have never known a shave that didn't come with an itch to follow without tanning and some of these ideas online are a bit unreasonable to do on a regular basis.

My advice is: Exfoliate, Exfoliate, Exfoliate! Help that hair have a clear path to make it to the surface as quickly and easily as possible. Good luck!
I have had this happen to me it's horrible, I thought I coulden't shave ever again the worst was my legs too. This sounds bad but I stoped shaving for about half a year and covered all the areas that were hairy then you should buy a electric shaver, all though it doesn't fully take the hair away it doesn't take that first layer of skin that protects you. lotion every day after a shower then you will be able to shave again if you still have the problem the best thing would be to get lazier a few times and it should be good for life make sure you look in to it first.  just don't forget to loison everyday.
I've also had this problem for about three years now. I've found that ice helps a ton, although it's not exactly convenient. I spoke to my doctor and she said that the sensations of itch and cold run through the same nerve pathways, so if you can "jam" them up with the cold, the itch will subside. And it works every time. But like I said, very inconvenient.

Unfortunately I don't have any new advice to offer, but I did want to say something that may save you a lot of trouble. Twice now, I've gotten staph infections on my legs from scratching until they bled. Be VERY careful if you find yourself digging away at your skin... best bet is to wipe down with alcohol once the itching subsides and you stop scratching. Staph is not fun!

Also, to keep myself from scratching, I wear really tight clothes to minimize any "tickling" from loose fabric and apply constant pressure. I also use tape (duct tape, packaging tape, etc.) to wrap around my ankles and wrists (I shave my arms too) to make it nearly impossible for me to scratch and draw blood. It's not a cure, but it helps. For me, at least.

I hope some of this helps you, and if you find any real solution, please let me know!
This is going to sound weird, but I think it may help. I just recently got the insanely itching problem (probably because its getting colder here) but what I found that did work, is that when my legs got really itchy, I put deodorant on them. It also works on mosquito bites, and that's where I got the idea.  You just take a stick of deodorant and rub it on the itchy spots. It worked for me. Hope it works for you too!
Thanks but she's tried all that before. It's not contact derm. For her, the top layer of skin is thick and does not allow hair to grow through properly in most places. It happens other places as well anywhere that hair is removed. Contact dermatitis also is not based on shaving or hair growing in, so it wouldn't go away when she shaves with an electric razor (she presses very lightly so the hair is not cut below the surface of skin, thus it doesn't have to grow back through skin). Thanks for the advice, but that's just not the case here.

It's also not possible to make a definite diagnosis like that online, without seeing it, for that very reason. People happen to know something about something, like contact derm or this or that and then are quick to say "this is what that is, here's how to fix it." When in reality nobody can hope to do better than "this is what I have too, and I tried this, and it worked."

Hope some of your are having luck figuring this out. I will say that if you can stand waxing, there's a product called Kalo lotion, which inhibits hair growth. You have to use it each time after you wax, for probably about a year, but after that amount of time you shouldn't have hair grow on the legs ever again. My wife couldn't stand the waxing anymore but from the couple months she did use Kalo her hair is much thinner and less dense now. In the meantime she just shaves with an electric razor lightly every day, so the hair stays at or just above the surface. If the hair doesn't have to break through skin, it doesn't make her itch.

acboy1
I have the exact same problem. Itching starts roughly around the same time although mine is not just prone to bedtime. I can get the itch any time in the day. and it will last for days after!  Iv noticed if i get hot then my legs itch and skin can just rub off, It's mainly around the back of my knees & thighs. Top of my thighs and shins.i literally scratch until I have torn off skin which then leaves patches of raw skin on my legs which sting and leave scars. It's almost like friction burn and I cannot stop itching as it drives me mad. This is actually driving me insane!!!!! I have tried absolutely everything I could think of to stop it, not allergic to anything, tried many many razors, shaving creams, lotions, creams,ointments, hair removal cream- although this helped for a little while now makes me itch just the same as shaving. Putting a cold compress helps but does not solve the problem-NOTHING seems to  work. It hasn't always been this way just the last 6 years or so.I have kind of just come to the conclusion that it just shaving that my legs don't like to be shaved and have been ordered by my boyfriend to stop shaving as its causing me so much distress and he says its not worth it. But I do not want monstrously hairy legs, I mean its not very attractive nor sexy. I really want to know if there are  any solutions for this horrible problem that thank god other people seem to have as well.
Just shaved 12 - 24 hours ago and my legs are so itchy!! Went on here to find a solution but before I did that I applied TendSkin to my legs. I don't use it properly but I can tell you that it does relieve the itching for at least 12 or more hours. You can purchase on Amazon. Itching has decreased quite a bit now but I know it's not a real solution to the real problem but I thought I would share so that all could have some relief while we research a solution. Hope this helps some of you!
After a horrible night of hours upon hours of insanely itchy and painful legs after showering and shaving around lunch time, I sat and read every single one of these replies. While I didn't find a cure all answer here, it actually was wonderful to know that i wasn't crazy or suffering alone. Anyone else I complained to about this problem just gave me a list of lotions to try and no sympathy. Sorry charlie, but i have tried just about every lotion under the sun.

This itchy legs phenomenon really only plagues me during the winter months. I am able to shave normally during the summer and use eucerin calming creme and all is well. I have a couple theories as to why this occurs, but no real answers. As others have mentioned, I think it has to do with the cold dry air drying out the skin, combined with shaving less often, there fore not enough exfoliation. And I believe the itchiness occurs as the hairs are trying to push back up through the skin. Which is why it is a few hours after the shave that it begins. Also, my leg hairs on the bottom part of my leg are thick and coarse and grow back extremely fast and in crazy directions.

The only solace I found during the bought was to get back in the shower and scrub like all heck with exfoliating wash and lufa. I believe that helped open up the hair follicles, so the hairs could push through easier. I then dried my legs and applied a crazy concoction of anything laying around I thought would sooth. consisting of: coconut oil, benadryl gel, aloe vera, tea tree oil, auquafor, and polysporin. mixed it all together and slathered it on, then topped it with tights and boot socks. ( as I find that when my legs get  cold and goose bumpy it intensifies) also, it added a barrier to the scratching.

The next day I went on amazon and ordered an electric shaver, an epilator and Nisim Kalo Post Epilating Lotion. No way I am I suffering though one more night of this. I just used the epilator (rotating dics pull the hairs out from the root, i didnt know before i read this thread) last night after exfoliating in the shower with hot water. It wasn't as painful as I was bracing myself for (i have never waxed my legs) not to say it felt good, but it wasn't anywhere as bad as the shaved leg itching. I am applying the lotion a few times a day, so far no itching, a little tender, a slight sunburned feeling of pain. now I will wait and see how bad the ingrown hairs are as they come back in (that was one of the biggest complaints on the reviews)

don't give up, you are not alone in your suffering!
I have read all these posts and I suffer with the same thing. I have suffered for about 6 years. I have given myself blisters and made myself bleed. I have changed my shaver many times, been to the doctors with no solution. I shaved not last night but the night before and my legs just started itching about half an hour ago, they never itch straight away. Please help me
This drives me nuts! Can I tell you how comforting it is that I'm not the only one? I just couldn't understand why everyone else's legs seemed so smooth and pretty, and mine are all red and bumpy and driving me crazy at night.

I soak epsom salts in olive oil, honey, and tea tree oil (only a few drops) and then I take a bit of that and a ton of coconut oil together, and rub that all over my body. It's the best thing that has worked so far, especially on my legs. It's not 100% guarantee for immediately after I shave. But when the combination of heat (whether from snuggling under a ton of blankets in the winter or because of summer's heat) AND shaving was making me cry it was so itchy, this became my life saver.

Not sure if this will help anyone else, but I read somewhere that organic apple cider vinegar helps with this condition (It has to be organic because it unfiltered and the "good stuff" is left in).  I have started using it daily.  I drink one tablespoon of it with a little honey and couple of ounces of water.  I have been doing this for about two weeks and I already see a huge improvement.  

I have also read that apple cider vinegar can be applied directly to itchy spots and I have done this as well.  It seems to help, but I think that drinking it is what is making the difference.  

Just like everyone else in this thread, I have tried everything under the sun!  Lotions, anti-itch creams, shaving, not shaving, waxing, razors.....the list goes on and on.  

I feel like between the organic apple cider vinegar and Eucerin Original Healing, Soothing Repair Lotion, I am definitely seeing some improvement.  If anyone tries this and has some success, please post.

Just wanted to add something that hasn't been said yet

I am a guy and have the very same problem every year, I have to shave for my swim team. I seem to be the only one on my team that cant stand it, the day after I shave the pain is almost unbearable. For the two weeks after I shave my mood is greatly affected and I am easily irritated, which is not my normal attitude at all.

My hair is really thick, even for a guy, so I thought that was it for the longest time but I'm pretty sure the intensity of what I feel cannot be solely as a result of that.

Also any help would be appreciated (:
I don't know if it makes any of you feel better, but I am an MD and had shaved my chest when I was in my early twenties, a little over 10 years ago.  My hair was bothering me so I decided to just trim it with clippers, expecting that it was the shaving and regrowth that caused the itchiness.  Wrong.  I believe it is the sharp hair ends caused by shaving.  I don't know if you have ever got a haircut and got itchy afterward because a few of the hairs got under your shirt, but I think it is the same idea.  Anyhow, I just trimmed my hair with clippers by less than an inch.  It got so itchy that I couldn't stand it, so then I waxed the worst parts.  The other parts were still itching so I ended up shaving.  As long as I shaved every day, I didn't itch.  But I was getting razor bumps and shaving my chest every day was just annoying and added to the time it was taking me to get ready.  I started to let it grow out about a week ago.  It started itching 2 days later.  I bought hydrocortisone cream (OTC) and that didn't help.  Today, I developed welts (urticaria) and it is REALLY itchy.  It is all I can do to not scratch.  I think if I start, I'll go down to the bone!  I might try something with Benadryl since I'm actually developing hives now.  Anyhow, I'm pretty sure it is related to the pointy hair ends we create by shaving.  With waxing, it is probably more the short, inflexible hairs that also stab at the skin (but itching isn't for a few weeks out because the hairs aren't as pointy and have to grow a bit longer than shaved hairs before they can stab).  Once hairs get long enough and aren't pointy, they can't stab any more which is probably why normal, long hairs don't itch.  I think the itching is just a reaction to irritation, which in the good old days ways probably caused by bugs, and our bodies making us scratch was a good way to make us get them off of our skin.  I guess I'll just suffer to some degree or another for the next few weeks.  Ah!
I'd prefer not to shave at all , I leave them fir weeks as its just painful it's definitely the hair coming threw that's the problem , waxing shaving both are same , I recon a procedure to stop hair growing  at all in the leg area , them machines or a professional procedure
Wow!  Thank you.  The itching drives me insane.  Didn't know so many others suffer.
I have the exact same problem... thing is I used to wax, and although I would have the benefit of waiting an extra week or two for the irritating itch, I would get more in-grown hairs, and wait till its grown to wax again. So I tried IPL laser, which meant i had to return to shaving between treatments, and happy to say i ended up with some clear patches, however i had to leave the procedure due to medical issues. As well as that, it was expensive! So now... I shave, and its irritating!!! I'll shave and a day later I am attacking my legs till they bleed, and its extremely painful!

I need a solution :( my legs look terrible, feel terrible! No idea what to do, i am so uncomfortable getting my legs out!

My hair also grows back so quick its unreal! Even when i shave, i just feel like its not completely done.
I have the same problem I have this absolutely excruciating pain and itch after I shave , I also use to have horrible eczema all over my body since I was a child I have this problem with dry itchy skin , as a kid it was so bad sometimes my mom took me to the hospital because she thought it was allergies. I would itch so bad sometimes it looked like I got hives, I was put on steroids any type of prescription possible nothing helped!!  One of my friends suggested coconut oil she gave me some of hers it's chunky , the packaging is a white jar with a orange strip it's at Walmart any local grocery store really . Any way so I gave it a shot I took some and mixed it with aveeno stress relief lotion and all my eczema is gone , but my itch is still there I am now doing laser hair removal because I'm just so fed up . I wash my sheets every three days and that has helped a little but honestly these things have helped but not cured !!! Does anyone know a subsitute for shaving creames ?? Or anything that could take this absolute painf burn or itch away ,if so please help i would really really appreciate it thank you
It might be that you have an allergy to demodex mites they live on everyone but some people have horrible reactions and these mites get overpopulated.  They live in hair follicles. You can try applying some tea tree oil in some johnsons baby shampoo and leave it on for awhile or mix with coconut oil at about 50% is what medical journalsvsay but i would reduce the amoumt of tea tree oilbto 25-30% for a larger portion on your body. It is strong.  People with rosacea sometimes have an overgrowth as well. Doxcycline at a low dose of about 40 mg will help reduce inflammation.  A good dermatologist can help you with that or even a family doc.  The same thing happens to me a lot over my whole body the tea tree oil helps!!  But i just had one of those leg shaving episodes and about went mad.  I put some antipersperant on  my legs applied 3-5 times today and its the only thing that helped.  Have never had the shaving leg itch before and it was awful.  I thought maybe i had poison ivy and my grandpa always said after a good soapybath to put antipersperant on and so i did. You could try that. Supposedly ammonium salts help found that on internet.  Also dont store razor in shower let it dry completely and keep it very clean. Also you could wash yourlegs really well with some chlorohexadine scrub basically surgical soap to keep any fungus or bacteria on your skin from getting started on your already irritated skin its pretty gentle  i think my soap is 2% i buy at drug store or online.  Hope that helps.  Demodex mites live on everybody its normal but some of us are very allergic to their cohabitation.  I am allergic to dust mites as well.  Ihope that helps.  Mites get more active at  night and also itching seems to be always worse at night too.  I dont know if demodex is my problem because i have bad bouts of itching a lot.  Its also good to have all three thyroid levels checked t3, t4 and tsh because itching can be associated with that.  My doc suggests i get more iodine in my diet as well.  Right nowmy thyroid is low so i am having lots of problems with itching.  Try the tea tree oil and antipersperant.  Really helps.  Fyi.  Melt coconut oil in microwavebefore adding tea tree oil and start at a lower percentage than 50%  (like 20-30%) because its going all over your body not on a tiny spot.  Also washing sheets and bedding. Pillows and pillowcases on hot and in hot dryer as well.  Feel better.
I have this problem too and I think I just figured it out.  You see, my itching stopped about a month ago when I was using the Quattro razors for women with a moisterizing strip.  I ran out of blades so I bought some disposable razors, a good pricey brand, and the itching was terrible right after I shaved.

I hope this razor will help others - I'm going to buy new blades today.  I was also told to exfoliate before shaving with a moisterizing scrub.  

Good luck to all!
My legs have finally stopped itching after much trial and error, so I just wanted to share what worked for me here in case it helps anyone.  I have a feeling that there are various causes for itchy legs so the solution will depend on your individual cause.

I came to this this thread about a month ago looking for answers because I was suffering random bouts of mad itchiness on my legs.  My bed was already encased (and made of latex foam anyway) so the mites-advice did not apply for me.  Eventually what worked for me were two things.  1) Shaving technique-I stopped going for that "close shave."  Now I just do one light swipe on each section of my leg.  Like so light it is hardly touching my skin, and I don't go back and re-swipe.  It might leave a few hairs but it feels so much less irritated, which is more important.  I also tried out different razors-for me, the simple single razor works best, while the triple-blade/replaceable head ones were aggravating my condition.  

2)  Dry brushing.  Whenever my legs would start to itch, I would use a loofah or dry brush (rather than fingernails) on them and exfoliate until they felt better.  I also made a practice of dry brushing a few times a day no matter what.  This has made the most difference; my skin feels much softer and happier now.  You can look up "dry brushing" online or read about it here: http://michellephan.com/blog/post/skincare-101-dry-brushing

As for products, I don't use many on my legs.  I use Aveeno body wash (scentless) when shaving, and AHA lotion (St. Ives Naturally Smooth) after, and that's it.  Aveeno has oat flour (said to be good for itchy skin) and AHA helps slough off your dead skin cells.  But I believe that the major changes explained above are what made the greatest difference.  

Good luck to everyone reading this thread who is hoping (as I once was) to stop their poor legs' suffering without just going hairy!
A couple months ago I was reading everyones post and could not believe how many people have the same problem. I too went to my doctor and I was given some perscription gel and was told not to save until the red bumps were gone...not real practicle in the summer. I did what she said and the bumps got better but the minute I shaved everything came right back, so I started trying different things and nothing was making a difference. While we were on vaction, I was using a gallon of distilled water to rinse my legs and noticed that my legs didn't hardly break out or itch. So I started thinking...could it be my water at home?? We have well water and my legs have only been this bad since we moved into this house, so when we got home my husband and I dumped a gallon of pool shock down our well (not the drains inside). We let it sit overnight and the next morning we turned on all the faucets to flush out the pool shock. The next day I decided to give it a try and sure enough my legs didn't start itching right away; although, I do still have to lotion up ( I use bath and body works and an anti-itch lotion) after and I use Cetaphil facewash while I am shaving. As long as I do this everytime, my legs are soft and very rarely ever itch anymore!
So I hope this helps someone out there!!  Oh and I would recomend if your going to shock your well like we did, do some research first. I know on some older wells and piping it could break something.
I've had this problem for years. I've tried everything most of you have have suggested and nothing works. I have come to the conclusion that it's not the razor, or the lotion, or the water, etc. but the way the hair grows back. I think it comes back thick and the skin pores aren't large enough for them, so that's why most of them become ingrown and/or infected producing bumps that itch. The only good thing to do would be to cut the hair leaving enough so the skin can't grow over them but I don't know how that's possible.
I'm hoping someone out there has a great solution. I'll keep checking once in a while.
I forget to add that I've been waxing for a while now and even then, when the hair grows back, for two days or so my skin itches like crazy! Exfoliating relieves the pain from the itch but it doesn't take it away. The good thing about waxing is that I go through this problem once a month (for two days) instead of every single day if I were to shave.
Hey all!

Like all of you, I am super glad to have found this thread! I am one of those folks whose legs are the only things irritated by shaving - the rest of me is fine. But my legs are sooooo not fine!! (It's interesting to note that I never had this problem before we got a dog last summer, who, it turns out, I am allergic to. I have been doing allergy shots which help a ton, but that hasn't affected my post-shave leg itch situation.)

I should probably do the encasement of bedding, that would be smart, but I wanted to let you all know about another solution I just found: chocolate waxing! I know, it sounds weird and/or made up - I wasn't sure what to expect, but was told that the chocolate wax is a lot better for sensitive skin than the wax usually used for skin removal.

I got my legs waxed on Monday. Right after the appt, I did get a whole breakout of hives on my legs, but I took a Benadryl & they went away within a few hours. Ever since then, no trouble!

I'm sure this won't be a solution for everyone, but wanted to offer my own experience for anyone else who might want to try it!

Thank God for this thread, I thought I'm the only one suffering from this! I've been waxing for years and never had problems until two days ago when I decided to shave my legs because I couldn't wait for my next waxing appointment - VERY BAD IDEA!!!

Since last night, I've had horrible itch all over my legs, I woke up in the middle of the night scratching like a mad(wo)man and couldn't go back to sleep. The itching doesn't happen during the day though so it could be true what most people here say about having allergic reaction to dust mites (my son has dust mite allergy).  So I would def try mattress and pillow encasings.

A few minutes ago (it is night time now but I haven't gone to bed yet), the itch started again and I couldn't stop scratching! I had to remove my skinny jeans and and put aloe vera gel (http://www.seifengalerie.de/shop/Gustav-Baehr-GmbH-Baehr-Aloe-Vera-Gel-nach-der-Depilation-200-ml), which was recommended by my aesthetician to cool down the skin after waxing. I tried it all over my legs and the cooling effect somehow helped to ease the itching (sans jeans or pants). So the theories about shaving against hair growth, hair growing in and not being able to get through the pores, shaved skin brushing against fabric, and temperature (cold weather and hot showers drying the skin even more) could be true.

Since I cannot do anything immediately, I would settle with the aloe vera gel, hoping it would completely get rid of the horrible itching.  

I would never shave my legs ever again! Btw, I exfoliated while in the shower today and it didn't seem to help much either.
I had this same problem to where almost immediately I would itch until I wanted to just rip my legs off... I now know what to do...
1) don't take more than 10 minute showers
2)wash your body and shampoo fast so your skin on your legs doesn't get too moist with the steam(steam=moist skin... That's why we are able to take off the dead skin cells/calluses on our feet when are feet are soaked in hot water or in the shower). If your skin is too moist you will be irritating your skin underneath the dead skin cells and irritating new skin is not good, even if you use a new razor it is not good...
3)shave fast and not hard, don't go over the skin too much
4) AGAIN, do not let it get too steamy in the shower, lukewarm water and 5-10 min showers, but still pay attention as to your shaving, don't let it get sloppy or you will shave to aggressively.
5)when you are done, rinse quickly and turn off the shower immediately, pat dry your legs.

Also, don't shave every day. Shave maybe 1-2 a week at the most. You need to let the dead skin cells collect on your skin, that is what keeps the moisture in. When you remove the dead skin cells with shaving and steam it makes your skin dry, irritated and the natural oils in your skin will be nonexistent.

I would only recommend exfoliating areas you do not shave or areas that don't bother you. You may also exfoliate your legs but only while they are hairy... The advice to exfoliate your legs after shaving is not good advice as it will strip away the dead cells and natural oils, plus irritate any new skin from the wash you just had.

Never never never put lotion on your legs if they are itchy, it is not natural and the chemicals will make your new skin react because new skin is sensitive to ANYTHING! So that is why it is VERY IMPORTANT to take short showers so you will not strip your legs of all the oil and dead skin. New skin is good, don't get me wrong, but you are not supposed to shave it or put lotions or creams on it.

Try this, and hopefully it will work. Remember shave less often, 1-2 times a week, maybe even once every week and a half(this is what I do)! if your husband doesn't like it tell him something you don't like about him.. Remember being beautiful is about being natural and not hurting your skin :)
Also use body wash.. It is just so the razor glides well... Don't use shaving cream as it is absorbed into your skin and irritates new skin, and it makes your skin too soft, thus when you shave you take off too much dead skin, thus irritating the new skin underneath with the shaving and the chemicals from the cream...
I have the exact same thing happen and scratching makes it worse so all I use is E45 works every time .
Use E45 works every time for me :)
I have been suffering from this aswel and I also have sensitive skin so have to use simple bodywash to shave but still the itching persists my dr also has not idea what it is and has suggested just to not shave i don't unless I need to but it doesn't do anything for my confidence so think I will try encasing my mattress and pillows and see if that helps
Just a hint, to stop bleeding when you itch your legs, use a rough towel and just rub it over the itchy areas. It cures the itch but without any bleeding. Hope this helps xx
I started with all over body itching about 10-12 years ago. Out of the blue. Never had a problem before. It lasted 9 months. I thought I was going to throw myself off a bridge.  Every so many years it starts up. I started about 2 weeks ago with it again. I am in hell. It was so bad Friday I called my dermatologist and told him you need to give me something because I am going insane. He prescribed me Gabapentin which is a nerve blocker. It does help about 50% but it makes me very tired and I work all day so I can't be tired. I itch everywhere. Head, neck, upper thighs, private area, arms, everywhere. I have no rash or anything just constant itching. I did believe it had to do with shaving or with the hair follicles but it is weird that I am itchy on my arms and my neck and head as I don't shave those areas.  I am completely baffled and so are my doctors. I wash my sheets every other day. I keep my skin moist as possible. I run a humidifier in my room.  I am at the end of my rope. I have taken a bath with tea tree oil and it helped temporarily but within hours the itching was back.  I had an episode about 5 years ago and my dermatologist started me on ultraviolet therapy and after a few weeks I stopped itching. I started the same thing again and no relief at all.  I know how frustrating this is and I feel for everyone as it is pure hell and no doctor seems to understand what it is or what causes it.
I feel like I just found a home! I have had this problem for the last 6-7 years, out of the blue just one day uncontrollable itching, I thought I was all alone!! Nothing I have tried works for too long including Tend Skin and prescribe steroid creams. The best thing I can find to use is the Target brand anti itch gel. I can get about an hour of itch free bliss.I also find mine gets worse when I am in bed or just get into a super warm shower/bath. I started shaving downward and it stopped for about a year, then one day I was shaving and in a rush and went upward and now when I shave downward I itch. I screwed it all up it seems. I went to a Derm and he was ZERO help. Told me to get laser hair removal but told me he had no interest in my case as it would not likely bring him any money. Insurance will not cover laser hair removal as it is cosmetic and not medical and to both legs entirely done will cost thousands of dollars. I am looking into an at home laser hair removal system. If it works I will let you all know. Good luck everyone!!
Hi I suffer with itchy skin after shaving and a couple of weeks ago I had laryngitis well when I have this I drink a considerable amount of water which made my skin more supple   which Made my legs  feel loose if that makes sense and I never itched once even though I was waiting for it to start it never happened I always exfoliate before shaving  and moisturizer straight away while my skin is still damp  but I think the water was what sorted it out
  Hello!

I had unbearable ichy lower legs develop about 9 months ago. I tried tons of lotions, benydryl...etc... Everything!

I figured it out!   1. Hot Shower
                           2. Exfolicate
                           3. Towel off
                           4. Hydrogen Peroxide rubbed over entire effected areas.
                           5. Let Dry for 5 min.
                           6. Coconut Oil ( I used the Costco Tub)
   Relief is almost instant and it takes about 2 days to noticeably see the healing qualities.

Hope this helps someone!!
I'm just glad to know I'm not alone.  I go crazy day and night.
I have this condition too...it always starts when the hair starts growing back in.   Last winter I went to see an allergist for something unrelated, and I randomly asked him about my sensitive skin (thinking it was due to allergies).  As soon as I mentioned my symptoms, he came up with something called Dermatographic urticaria (skin writing condition).  My skin is so sensitive that even when I hug my husband and his beard brushes my face, I break out in a bit of a rash.  I believe that shaving causes the same reaction because the skin gets irritated again when the hair starts growing.  Hopefully this helps - unfortunately there is nothing that can fix it.  One thing that has helped soothe the itchiness is applying Aloe Calming Toner from The Body Shop.
Thank you! I have the same problem (I get a rash after I hug my husband if he has a stubby beard).
Unfortunately this problem it's not caused by shaving, even waxing! Hopefully one day someone will find a cure for it. *hugs*