Dermatology Expert Forum
Painless Bruises?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Painless Bruises?

My question is two-fold, mainly because I don't know if they are related, but I don't think they are. My first problem is that over the last two months, I have started getting small painless bruises on my thighs that take at least a week to a week and a half to go away. There is no pain on palpation, and as far as I recall, I haven't had any traumas to cause the bruises. None of them have been bigger than my thumb, but it concerns me because they haven't been caused by trauma, and they take so much longer to go away. They don't go through normal bruising colors (ie- bluish to yellow). They just appear one day as bluish, then very gradually fade away after almost two weeks. What could this be? Is it serious or minor?

Also, along with the bruises, my skin has become a lot itchier lately, mostly confined to my feet and lower legs, hands, and forearms. It isn't an all over itch, but rather very specific spots that I end up itching so much that I end up with a reddened scab that is about a pinpoint (almost like a bug bite). Could this be fleas or dustmites or something along those lines? Is it related to the bruises? Or is it just winter time dry skin? I've never itched like this before.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
The most likely explanation I can think of for the bruising on your legs is scratching, so I think the two problems are related.  As to why you're scratching without an actual rash, I can speculate about dry skin and stress (I wouldn't worry about dust mites).  I advise you to pick up some over-the-counter itch lotion containing pramoxine (ask your druggist), apply it every time you need to scratch, and see a skin doctor if the problem doesn't go away in 10 days.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
But should I be concerned because the bruises are not in areas where I have been scratching. The bruises are on my upper and inner thighs, and I have only been scratching on the legs from the knees down. I am in healthcare, and the only basic reasons I know of for unexplained bruising is leukemias, but I know that's not it.
A related discussion, painless bruise on neck wont go away was started.