Palm of my Hand is Dry, Cracks, & Itchy

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Palm of my Hand is Dry, Cracks, & Itchy

4599055?1245971246
I am a healthy 28 yr old male. No medical history I am perfectly healthy aside from my right hand.

I have had a persistent dry right palm for over 3 years now, and it has recently gotten painful and extra dry. I wulod describe it as dry, rough, thickened, cracked skin on my palm. I do not have health insurance so that is why I have not been able to go get it looked at yet.

Looking closely it is dry, has cracks, itches. It makes it hard to do any type of physical work because if any dirt or debris gets in the cracks it irritates even more and hurts a bit more too.

I think it is eczema or something but I am not sure. Any suggestions on a diagnosis for this? It is on my right hand palm and on my right hand fingers in smaller areas. Please see the picture attached.  I work from my computer so it is not like I do hard physical labor to cause this.

Please please if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.
The fact that itching is there, makes it more towards eczema than a palmar psoriasis.Best to apply white soft paraffin,a course of antibiotic would be ideal.
I am a 32 year old male and have the exact same thing on my right hand. You say you work at a computer. So do I. I wonder if it's due to the mouse. I am going to start sanitizing my mouse every day with alcohol as well as applying the white soft paraffin (vaseline lotion) to my hand. What sort of antibiotic would one use and where would I get it?

Hello-

I am the OP. My hand is cured.

Get an ointment called Esperson, in USA it is called TOPICORT.

The generic name is desoximetasone. You can buy it online from foreign pharmacy and it WORKS. Or if you have good health insurance it is called Topicort here in the states.
Apply TERBEST 1% ointment twice daily and take TEBINA 250mg tablet. One tablet everyday for a month.

I have the same problem and i using the above medicines.
I have the exact same condition you have I bandage and used neosporin and as soon as it seemed to get better and heal It relapsed and came back again If you found the cure please email me at
***@**** thanks
About 4 years ago I had the same exact condition on my right hand. Its started out as an itch and got dry and started to look just like your hand. I wore gloves and applied neosporin at night which helped the cracking but once i took a shower it was back to the same dry condition. I went to the dermatologist a few times and they gave me multiple lotions. After about four different lotions the dermotologist gave me something called ELIDEL (pimecrolimus) cream 1%. I applied it every night and everyday and it supposedly helps to regrow skin and get rid of bad skin or something. Anyway it did the trick and I almost forgot what it felt like to have a dry cracked hand until my left hand became itchy about 2 years later. Now I have it on my left and tried using ELIDEL and it hasn't worked. Most likely because it may be expired. I'm going to make any appointment soon to get it checked out so I will let you know how it goes.
Dear sadiq,

The same problem for me in th right hand. my doctor  advise me Alaspan 10 mg 1 tablet in the night. and Aziwok 500 mg 1 tablet in the night  for 3 days. apply venusia max cream continuously daily 3times
and one oninment given.that name i am not remember. Now it is alright with in five days
you want any further details mail me at classic_eng***@****
I am female, from UK, I began using the computer for long periods do to home study/work last October.

After prolonged use of hot laptops old and new, in April of this year my palms began coming up in boils, then after that, the next stage was an angry inflammed and itchy rash that spread right the way across both palms and from time to time on the tips of fingers I most used for typing on the keyboard. The Dr prescribed Trimovate mixed with Aqueous Cream and combined this really helped as it's anti itch, antiflammatory, antibiotic, and cools it down. If you sleep with palms overnight in disposable bandages with treatment it really does help. I was almost in tears with mine, cracking, weeping and bleeding for 6 months, not only painful but has caused a lot of problems in daily life as well. Stress was bad as a result.

I have now finished my home study about 3 or 4 weeks ago and this has almost gone and no sign of coming back, so much relief. I've been doing net research on this and after 6 months am certain mine is caused by extensive laptop/accessories use and friction during it's use or a nickel allergy on edge of keyboard which a lot of people are allergic to especially Mac Book Pro that I've seen on the internet, although I've had Dell and Samsung metal look laptops. Apparantly there are plastic covers for the keyboard edges so that that touching the nickel is minimal? So I may look for one to buy and also wristpads?

Hope this is of a great help!  And also that you all feel free of this soon. LiZ  :)
I am a 16 Year Old male. My name is Oscar, i have it on both hands, and it is also cracked. From what i was told by my father, this was caused by constantly washing your hands.
Sorta similiar to Athletes Foot, because when the bacteria meets moisture, it grows little bumpy itchy lumps. It is curable. in chinese culture i believe this is called fu gui shou, or hui gui shou.
Your hands maybe a disease called Rosacea, ask your doctor. I am not sure if it is or not, but this disease originated from China (its said that because many people have this disease in China) In chinese i believe this is called Fu Gui Shou, or Hui Gui Shou
It is not from using your mouse or computer, the disease is from the person himself (i believe this disease is called rosacea) it is curable. this is not like chapped skin. chapped skin maybe cured with vaseline. but this disease is similiar to athletes foot. Not curable with vaseline.
PLEASE DO NOT SAY THIS DISEASE IS BECAUSE OF LONG PERIODS OF TIME USING COMPUTERS! It really isnt because of a computer! think about it, there are many people who use computers in offices, and they dont get it! why only you and not others? this is a foolish opinion. the disease is from bacteria (like fungi) growing on the hands. when fungi touches moisture it, itches and boils up. when you do something, it cracks.
You do not get Rosacea on your hands.  Rosacea is not a disease, it is a condition that is exacerbated by some triggers like heat, foods, drinks, cold.  People do not catch and cannot catch Rosacea.   I suffer from Rosacea and I have a special cream to treat it when it flares up.

The cracked and dry skin on the hands is a form of dermatitis, or eczema.
This needs to be treated.

My condition first came about many years ago from the use of rubber gloves.  I am allergic to latex.  Since then I have had skin problems on my fingers.  The doctor prescribes me with DiproSalic ointment. This is a Betamethasone and Salicylic Acid.  What it does, it softens and melts (words my doctor used) the hard skin and helps the skin to heal.

Eczema and dermatitis is inflammation caused by irritants to the skin.  It itches profusely and the more you scratch the more it itches.  Sometimes when it is so bad I feel like biting my fingers off.

The important thing is to keep the cracks covered and clean, because bacteria can enter through the broken skin.

As well as using the special ointments provided by the doctor, a highly moisturising cream is also a must.

The condition in the picture is a form of severe dematitis and not a fungal infection.

As you are 15 years of age, I suggest you get your facts correct before posting comments.
Skin conditions are recognised by Occupational Health Professionals as being associated with DSE (Display Screen Equipment) because DSE dries out the air.

The way round this is to have plenty of broad leaved plants in an office with lots of DSE to increase the humidity.

I didnt say it was rosacea, i said it maybe, i do not know the name in english that is why i say ask your doctor. First of all cracked hands that itch first begin with bumps on your fingers or palm that itch, and when you pop them, they squirt liquid, after a year or so without treatment, it gets worse, your skin dries up and starts cracking and hurts. It is a fungal disease. well in chinese culture.
But yes it maybe dermatitas, but in chinese culture this disease(bacteria) only appears on hands, it looks similiar though, so it may be dermatitas. its definitely not eczema, because true, eczema does itch and crack, but since i have this problem, it mainly starts forming the bumpy liquid bubble(after scratching them) and they itch. also when they itch, the more you scratch them, the more the become agressively painful and itchy it becomes. It is curable though. but takes alot of time. BTW, has anyone with this symptom put their hand in hot water?(i mean really hot water) it soothes the itchy-ness but makes it worse. it itches so bad that sometimes it makes me want to scratch my palms with a blade on it.
first of all i am not 15, i am 16, my father is a herbal doctor, and teaches many things about medicine, you may think i am young, but i am a junior in Stuyvesant, with 98% Average. Currently taken the PSAT and had gotten 215, which is 2150 in SAT. Sooo, before you start saying that i am too young, date back in your childhood and explain what you've gotten. besides, it is very rude to think that i am too young and do not understand the facts. i do not know how to explain it, doesn't mean i do not know what it is.

I was told that (by a Medical Doctor) and my father (a Herbal Doctor) that this was a type of fungal infection. It is not contagious. But after i saw that the young man had a similiar looking problem. i had gotten cream for it before, it worked, but got worse afterwards.

I Am Only Trying To Help. You may think you have more experience than me. which is true, does not mean you understand more than what i learn from professors and doctors that teach me things.
BTW i am only trying to help, but basing on your judgment, you believe that i do not understand anything. I understand this has nothing to do with education, but i am trying to explain that i have the ability of knowing the symptoms. Most people believe that Herbal Doctors are not as better than Medical Doctors, most people are wrong, Medical "Medicine" was based on Herbal Medicine. Herbal Doctors existed for over 2000 Years.

I am just SAYING.
In chinese culture, Noncurable skin Chronic (rosacea) is a disease(Please do not be bias with what Chinese say) , the reason is that it is not curable. at least they have not been able to fully cure it.

It is sad that you have this skin problem. Hope you get better.

BTW when you said it flares up, you meant it pops out right?
Does it hurt?
Your profile says you are 15.
You should see your doctor so that you can get the right medication to treat it.

If it is a fungal infection, as you say, fungal infections are highly contageous.  Ask your dad.

Athletes foot, verrucas, warts, Thrush are types of fungal infections.

Rosacea is not a fungal disease.
If you are talking about Rosacea and/or dermatitis and eczema.  The answer is: no, it does not pop out.

For my hand problem which is dry eczema, Dermatitis means inflammation of the skin.  I use Diprosalic ointment that was prescribed by the doctor.

It "melts" the hard dry skin and helps the skin to heal.  I do not have to use if very time.  When it flares up it is extremely itchy and the more you scratch the more it itches.  I sometimes have to bite my fingers, but find that placing the hot itchy hands into COLD water cools it down.  Hot water aggravates it and makes it worse.  

The thing is, is to cool the inflamed hot skin, not make it more hot.
If you read sadeqq post dated Sep 19, 2009 you will have seen that he used an ointment called Esperson which is a Topical corticosteroid and this cured his hand.
i use a herbal medicine, i use it almost everyday so its getting better. using hot water actually "burns" the itch. my father had told me, do not use hot water, or it will make problems worse. fungal infections are contagious but from what i was told it is not contagious unless someone (for example) wore the same gloves you wore.
Why do you have so many skin problems?(no offense)
Fungal infections are spread by contact.  Even if you walk barefooted in a shower room after someone who has a verruca, you can catch it.

As people get older, the skin changes.  Also sometimes people develop allergies, either from foods, chemicals, soaps, detergents, perfumes, plants, etc.
Whilst when young poeple may not have a skin problem, as they get older they may develop skin allergies and contact dermatitis.    Unfortunately, we live in a world full of pollutants.  

Some young people with asthma and eczema can grow out of this.  In my case I grew into it.  That's how it is.
I do not know why I have so many skin problems.  May be because of genetics.  I am allergic to rubber and latex, soaps and perfumes and chemicals (even their vapour).  I am also allergice to goats cheese, this made my lips swell and tingle.

I am allergic to my cucumber plant leaves and cypress.  I am allergic to dogs (I start to cough and wheeze) as well as smoke.  I have a very sensitive nose and have picked up the minutes smell of gas once when no one else detected it.

I was also exposed to carbon monoxide some years ago when we were on a boating holiday.  I knew straight away that something was not right becuase I felt sick when we entered the boat.  The engineer said everything was fine.  But I felt worse and worse.  It turned out the fridge gas outlet pipe was blocked.  I was ill for quite a long time after that.  

At your age, I had no skin problems at all.
well honestly I hope you feel better, because it creeps the crap out of me just to hear about it. I feel bad for you. Well back on subject with fungal infections, it is true that on contact. My mother went to a SPA and SONA (i think i spelled it wrong, the place where you wash up, in hot water) and got it because she had wore the slippers that some woman had fungal infection on.
But my hands may be eczema, because so far no one has caught my infection, but my father has athletes foot and i never got it from him. I asked him before why he had not cured it earlier. he told me the same thing you said. As people age, they get all types of skin problems, that there is no point of curing them, if its going to comeback again.
It makes me hate myself sometimes. Me myself, work out everyday, got built and alot of people especially girls found themselves falling in love with me. but my hands affect alot on me. when i stare at them, i see cracks, redness, wrinkles, hardened skin. and i hate when people just look at my hands especially after i shook theirs. Always look at me and say, WTF is wrong with his hands. Or How is he going to Masturbate? (all that weird stuff) It makes me angry that people cant appreciate others, especially the handicapped and physically disabled people. Its sad how people judge others. Looking at them and saying incredibly disrespectful things behind others backs. It makes me sick. well i have taken medication for a while and it works well for me. but after too much of activities with my hands especially in the cold, they crack up and bleed.

I was at a friends house the other day, and my medication was mixed with vinegar. they always would be like, do you smell vinegar? its sooo funny sometimes. today my teacher thought someone had brought salted pretzels and hotdogs with mustard. which i do not know how she smelled vinegar as something else. Vinegar is so obvious. Well my hands are getting better!
I had a rash before, and it was not pretty. my skin would turn red plumped up with dark red spots and they hurt. looked like Rosacea. ( That's how bad it was) But i was very little back then. i am not sure how it disappeared. but it used to start every winter.
I used hot water actually to relieve the itch, and rinse it over with cold water.
Althletes foot is a funal disorder.  The fungus thrives in warm and humid conditions. So it is important to dry well inbetween the toes and apply antifungal cream and/or antifungal powder.

As for your hands.  Do not use normal soaps because this soap dries the skin too much.  As well as as using the mediction (medication) that is helping (if it is not, then you may need a different one), use highly moisture creams.  You can buy cotton gloves and apply a lot of moisture cream and the gloves when you go to bed at night.

Wear gloves when you go outside to protect the skin the the weather.
When your skin cracks and splits on your fingers, put on a plaster to protect it so that it does not get dirty and infected.

Also keep a note of anything that you touch that might aggravate the condition so that yu can avoid touching it or use protective gloves before you do.  You will probably be allergic to rubber and latex too.  You can buy Nitrile gloves - these are what doctors and dentists use (and me).  

I do a lot of planting and wear the Nitrile gloves so that I do not catch any germs and bacteria through my cracked skin.  At the moment it is fine.

Bacteria can enter through the broken skin, so it is important to keep it protected.  

I have recently started to take B12, magnesium, zinc, multvitamins as well as drinking a lot of natural yogurt (may be that is helping).  

Your hands may get red with weepy spots, but this is not Rosacea.  By what you say, you suffer from eczema.  You can urticaria and these are spots that itch and weep and you can urticaria different parts of the body.

You only get Rosacea on the face and it can affect the eyes.

With the hand skin problem, you need to find the right cream that will help you.  Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated as this is important for healty skin as well as having a healthy diet.

As you dad is a herbalist he should be helping you more with your problem.  Calendula petals are very good for the skin.  

Hope you get sorted out soon so.  But remember as you have this problem now, it is likely that you may experience flare ups from time to time as you get older.
Its gone away so far so im set. herbalists use liquid substances, so i soak my hands in the medicine. A MD has told me before that my eczema is curable(controllable) with gummy tablets that she prescribed me. but by that time my eczema when away.
i also work out alot doing body building, that i dehydrate myself
i have what you described as tiny itchy bumps that i ended up just pinching them off because they were very itchy and there was tiny drops of liquid or puss inside then eventually my palms got dry spots half an inch wide and the skin flakes off then it cracks in the middle if i use cream with a glove on over night for a few days it will heal but it always comes back i have had this problem for about 5 years now how do i get rid of it?