DERMATOLOGY
COMMUNITY
Palm of my Hand is Dry, Cracks, & Itchy
by sadeqq, Jun 25, 2009
I am a healthy 28 yr old male. No medical history I am perfectly healthy aside from my right hand.

I have had a persistent dry right palm for over 3 years now, and it has recently gotten painful and extra dry. I wulod describe it as dry, rough, thickened, cracked skin on my palm. I do not have health insurance so that is why I have not been able to go get it looked at yet.

Looking closely it is dry, has cracks, itches. It makes it hard to do any type of physical work because if any dirt or debris gets in the cracks it irritates even more and hurts a bit more too.

I think it is eczema or something but I am not sure. Any suggestions on a diagnosis for this? It is on my right hand palm and on my right hand fingers in smaller areas. Please see the picture attached.  I work from my computer so it is not like I do hard physical labor to cause this.

Please please if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.
Member Comments (34)
by jagesh50, Jun 25, 2009
The fact that itching is there, makes it more towards eczema than a palmar psoriasis.Best to apply white soft paraffin,a course of antibiotic would be ideal.
by komebeaux, Sep 18, 2009
I am a 32 year old male and have the exact same thing on my right hand. You say you work at a computer. So do I. I wonder if it's due to the mouse. I am going to start sanitizing my mouse every day with alcohol as well as applying the white soft paraffin (vaseline lotion) to my hand. What sort of antibiotic would one use and where would I get it?

by sadeqq, Sep 19, 2009
Hello-

I am the OP. My hand is cured.

Get an ointment called Esperson, in USA it is called TOPICORT.

The generic name is desoximetasone. You can buy it online from foreign pharmacy and it WORKS. Or if you have good health insurance it is called Topicort here in the states.
by Vicktor, Oct 27, 2010
Apply TERBEST 1% ointment twice daily and take TEBINA 250mg tablet. One tablet everyday for a month.

I have the same problem and i using the above medicines.
by flex78er, Dec 01, 2010
I have the exact same condition you have I bandage and used neosporin and as soon as it seemed to get better and heal It relapsed and came back again If you found the cure please email me at
***@**** thanks
by Jball7, Jan 15, 2011
About 4 years ago I had the same exact condition on my right hand. Its started out as an itch and got dry and started to look just like your hand. I wore gloves and applied neosporin at night which helped the cracking but once i took a shower it was back to the same dry condition. I went to the dermatologist a few times and they gave me multiple lotions. After about four different lotions the dermotologist gave me something called ELIDEL (pimecrolimus) cream 1%. I applied it every night and everyday and it supposedly helps to regrow skin and get rid of bad skin or something. Anyway it did the trick and I almost forgot what it felt like to have a dry cracked hand until my left hand became itchy about 2 years later. Now I have it on my left and tried using ELIDEL and it hasn't worked. Most likely because it may be expired. I'm going to make any appointment soon to get it checked out so I will let you know how it goes.
by syed308, Dec 04, 2011
Dear sadiq,

The same problem for me in th right hand. my doctor  advise me Alaspan 10 mg 1 tablet in the night. and Aziwok 500 mg 1 tablet in the night  for 3 days. apply venusia max cream continuously daily 3times
and one oninment given.that name i am not remember. Now it is alright with in five days
you want any further details mail me at classic_eng***@****
by lizzi151, Oct 08, 2012
I am female, from UK, I began using the computer for long periods do to home study/work last October.

After prolonged use of hot laptops old and new, in April of this year my palms began coming up in boils, then after that, the next stage was an angry inflammed and itchy rash that spread right the way across both palms and from time to time on the tips of fingers I most used for typing on the keyboard. The Dr prescribed Trimovate mixed with Aqueous Cream and combined this really helped as it's anti itch, antiflammatory, antibiotic, and cools it down. If you sleep with palms overnight in disposable bandages with treatment it really does help. I was almost in tears with mine, cracking, weeping and bleeding for 6 months, not only painful but has caused a lot of problems in daily life as well. Stress was bad as a result.

I have now finished my home study about 3 or 4 weeks ago and this has almost gone and no sign of coming back, so much relief. I've been doing net research on this and after 6 months am certain mine is caused by extensive laptop/accessories use and friction during it's use or a nickel allergy on edge of keyboard which a lot of people are allergic to especially Mac Book Pro that I've seen on the internet, although I've had Dell and Samsung metal look laptops. Apparantly there are plastic covers for the keyboard edges so that that touching the nickel is minimal? So I may look for one to buy and also wristpads?

Hope this is of a great help!  And also that you all feel free of this soon. LiZ  :)
by Oscar000, Mar 15, 2013
I am a 16 Year Old male. My name is Oscar, i have it on both hands, and it is also cracked. From what i was told by my father, this was caused by constantly washing your hands.
Sorta similiar to Athletes Foot, because when the bacteria meets moisture, it grows little bumpy itchy lumps. It is curable. in chinese culture i believe this is called fu gui shou, or hui gui shou.