Patches of hair loss in scalp!
Right
I am 18 and currently getting these patches of hair loss in my scalp. I also had red spots scattered near the back of my head. My doctor said it was a fungal infection in the head and so subscribed me with some shampoo (ketoconazole) and some fluconazole tablets as well as some antifungal cream.
I have been using all medicines for around 2 months or so now.
At first I had a patch at the back of my head (in the middle) this now has hair growing in, really tiny, thin hairs. There is one on the side of my head which has no hairs and another near the front on the top of my head.
I am getting depressed over this in all honesty. I feel the medication is making no difference because the two other patches a month after I was using the medicines. I don't know if it is a fungal infection like the doctor said or what.
Thanks people,
Just really need some advice.
Please can any doctors help at all?
These patches of hair loss can be due to fungal infection (tinea capitis) as your doctor has suggested or due to alopecia aereta. The symptoms of Ringworm or Tinea Capitis include a dry itchy scalp, scaling, crusting, inflamed nodules, hair loss and tender enlarged lymph nodes on the neck.  Because of the scratching that is involved with the condition it can become secondarily infected with a bacterial infection.

Get a KOH examination and a biopsy of the skin scrapings done to rule out any fungal infection.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you for your response Dr. Bhupinder Kaur

My doctor took some skin scrapings and sent it of to the lab along with a blood test.
If it were alopecia aereta, how many patches do you normally get if so do they progress? Is there any treatment to grow the hair back quickly?