Peeling Finger Tips

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Peeling Finger Tips

Recently over the past 3-5 weeks my finger tips have been going through a cycle of first feeling numb and stiff, as if covered in glue. Then they would begin to peel, this would happen all at once and the now exposed skin is wrinkled very tender and red. At first this was isolated to the thumb and index finger of my left hand but now has spread to all of my fingers on both hands mainly staying on the very tips. I am 27 and have seasonal allergies as well as allergies to molds/mildew. I have not changed my detergents, makeup, or soaps. The rest of my skin is not particularly dry. Using lotions does not seem to help. What could be the cause of this and what can be done to correct it?
I just posted the same problem, then saw your post. I experience the same problem and am also very alergic (allergic) to mold. I use an inhaler (albuterol) during this season because the problem is so bad. Not sure if the skin peeling is related, but it's worth considering. I was thinking maybe it was a shampoo alergy (allergy) because the fingers that peel are the ones mostly used to massage the scalp. However, that would not make sense if it is a seasonal problem.
i have had the finger thing for 15 yrs also use the inhaler   but i recently found a solution for the fingers thing  it is viral...i have been to many dermitologists alternative   but have found anti viral cream that kills it!

So what is this anti-viral cream? Can you get it over the counter?
no   it is perscription  the generic is not available in us  zovirax is u.s. name   in mexico the generic is aciclover   5 grams is $3.20    in u.s  15 grams is 150.00  plus or minus     but you can take orally for around 20.00  that is generic   look it up on internet under wicapedia  if you need help finding doctor to perscribe  let me know
I'm 48 and each Spring and Fall have the peeling finger tips - sometimes all of them peel clear around to the nail. . . other times, just one or two.
I've noticed that although the palms don't peel, there appears to be a rash just below the surface of the skin right before the peeling begins.

When I was younger, it also occurred on the inside of my feet and my eyelids (painful).  Hydrocortisone cream (OTC strength is usually enough) - but when it's been more severe, needed 2% prescription strength.  Avoiding water as much as possible and NOT using any creams or moisturizers - which made it worse.  Take extra care with handling anything very warm or hot as the loss of the top several layers of skin make it easy to get burned by things that normally wouldn't effect you, e.g. coffee mug.  

On the plus side, I just view this as my personal season change confirmation!  :)  Good Luck!