Peeling Fingertips?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Peeling Fingertips?

I've had a recurring nasty cold for about three weeks now (really sore throat, coughing, mucus, etc) went to the doctor and she said it was just that, a bad cold. But about four days ago the skin on my fingertips went white and started peeling off. It doesn't stop- I have no sensitivity about halfway down each finger. I haven't been using any new products, cleaning or otherwise, and I don't know what is wrong! My dermatologist is five hours away (I'm in college) so I'd like an opinion. Thank you for your time!
              - Morgan
Hi, I don't know if this is related in the least, but the only person that I saw who suddenly developed skin peeling on her fingertips discovered that it was an sudden allergic reaction to a food . . . sorry I don't remember what it was
Various possibilities for peeling fingers are trauma and allergic or irritant contact dermatitis like washing dishes without wearing gloves,contact with harsh detergents,soaps and lotions that contain perfume can cause hands and fingertips to become irritated and peel.Sometimes cold, dry air can cause  peeling and dermatitis or fungal infections can also cause peeling.

Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. For mild-moderate symptoms a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone as dermacort), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Symptoms can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin. During the day, hydrate and protect hands with a protective and moisturizing cream. At night, repair them with creams formulated from glycolic acid—a must for improving skin texture and tone. If still the symptoms do not improve then pls get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist. Fungal infections have to be ruled out then.

Hope it helps. Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.

Thank you for your help. There is no rash persay, but I will try the moisturizing regimen and see if it helps. Thanks again!
Wow. Exact same thing is happening to me! I've only had the cold about a week, it just seems like a head cold with mostly a cough due to lots of mucus and a stuffy nose as well. And then my finger tips like on the pads of my hands just started peeling, and that's never happened before to me. First my pinkies on each hand, then more and more in and now it's finally to my middle fingers. Just one layer of skin and it comes off pretty clean and it hasn't yet gotten to the nails of any of my fingers but I'm sure it will. What's the matter with us and why isn't they're a more reliable online disease index for these things?!
Hi lomographic,
In your mail you mentioned that you had peeling finger tips after a short history of cold. Sometimes, following a cold with a sore throat, which may be caused by streptococcal infection, you can get peeling finger tips. This is caused by post streptococcal infection. You need to see a doctor, and have this checked out. You may need to be prescribed some antibiotics, most commonly Penecillin for 7 to 10 days.