Dermatology Expert Forum
Peeling Lips

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Peeling Lips
I'm 21 years old. For the last few years, the skin on my lips continously peels off. Its not like chapped lips, it just gets loose and peels off very easily once a new layer is formed. As a result I have a lighter colored patch on one part of my lip. My lips are a dark red, but because of all the peeling, theres a pinkish patch that looks pretty odd...similar to the patch smokers get. (I dont smoke). I do use a chapstick, thats because my lips tend to feel dry. What can I do about the peeling? Thanks!
Amjad:

Although colored toothpastes and mouthwashes are often blamed for chapped lips, I find that they are rarely the cause.

Most often, chapping produces licking, which aggravates chapping, and the vicious circle goes on.  The lighter color is, I'm sure, just the result of chronic irritation.

My suggestion is to supplement regular moisturizing with 1% hydrocortisone ointment, obtainable over the counter.  apply them both, hydrocortiosne first, 3-4 times d ay.  That should help.  YThe color will gradually even out.

Best.

Dr. R
The same thing happens to me if I use Chapstick or almost any product that contains petrolatum/mineral oil.  I use lanolin.
the same things happen to me! my lips dont really chap..they rarely bleed, and they dont get dry cuts..but they are constantly peeling! i apply various types of lip moisture (vaseline, chapstick, lip gloss) numerous times a day and they continue to peel anyway. sometimes, they may be fine but on the verge of dryness, so i apply vaseline, and then they peel while the vaseline is on my lips. its so strange.
same thing is happening to me. But for 10 years.  Whats going on??
A related discussion, help was started.
A related discussion, lip peeling for about 8yrs was started.
A related discussion, raw and peeling lips was started.