Peeling feet

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Peeling feet

I can peel my skin off the bottom of my foot in thick layers on a daily basis.  After soaking in water, the thickened skin looks white, but normally when it is yellowish after being peeled..  Sometimes it peels too far down and will hurt and/or bleed.  It started on the side of my foot a year ago, and just in the last few months has spread to cover the sole and heel of my foot. It is extremely ugly and I hate wearing flip flops!

My other foot is completely normal.

Any ideas on what this could be or how I could treat it?
Peeling of skin can be due to contact dermatitis and contact with harsh detergents, soaps and lotions. Sometimes cold, dry air and dermatitis or fungal infections can also cause peeling.

Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. For mild-moderate symptoms a weak steroid may be used, whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid but they should be used after prescription.

Wear shoes that fit properly and keep feet as dry as possible. Also change socks regularly. If still the symptoms do not improve then please get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist. Fungal infections and eczema have to be ruled out then.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.