Peeling fingertips from swimming
I'm a mid-twenties guy and have started swimming recently (indoor olympic size pool). I spend about an hour in the pool 3 times a week.

I started 2 weeks ago and have noticed that my finger tips have started to peel and leave red skin underneath. They don't itch or anything but it doesn't look good and my fingers are more sensitive without the extra layer of skin (i.e. picking up a hot cup of tea hurts more than if they weren't peeling/raw).

I've had this problem in the past and was prescribed 'Elocon Ointment 0.1%' which is a topical corticosteriod. It helps with the peeling but from what I have read it treats the symptoms but not the cause and it's not good to rely on a corticosteroid for a long period of time.

I'm recovering from a neck injury and so can't really do many other froms of exercise so I really don't want to have to stop swimming. I don't want to wear gloves in the water as I'd look like an idiot. Is there any way to stop this happening? Should I use hand moisturiser every night? Any help or advise would be much appreciated!
any advise would be appreciated
Peeling and flaking fingertips can be due to contact dermatitis and contact with harsh detergents, soaps and lotions. Sometimes cold, dry air can cause peeling and dermatitis or fungal infections can also cause peeling.

Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. For mild-moderate symptoms a weak steroid may be used, whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid.

Symptoms can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin. During the day, hydrate and protect hands with a protective and moisturizing cream. At night, repair them with creams formulated from glycolic acid—a must for improving skin texture and tone. If still the symptoms do not improve then please get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist. Fungal infections and eczema have to be ruled out then.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.