Peeling skin on fingertip

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Peeling skin on fingertip

I am 54 and for several years now, the skin on the fingertip of my right thumb  peels for no reason. It is constant. It  is like this yearround, but worse in the dry winter months. I remember as a young child, when going to the doctor for a checkup, they always looked under my fingernails and I never knew why.  I'm wondering now if peeling skin is what they were looking for. I have gone to many online forums and have seen  problems like this posted by many people and not a single person said that going to a dermatologist has helped. None of the ointments, lotions, or pills that have been prescribed to them have helped (same with me). Most of the people on these forums, me included, have just given up. Of all the postings I have read, one man said he just started dipping his finger in hydrogen peroxide about 10 times a day and that has helped so far, but did not cure it. Have you heard of anything like this and can you help?
Peeling and flaking fingers can be due to contact dermatitis and contact with harsh detergents, soaps and lotions. Sometimes cold, dry air can cause peeling and dermatitis or fungal infections can also cause peeling.

Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. For mild-moderate symptoms a weak steroid may be used, whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid.

Symptoms can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin. During the day, hydrate and protect hands with a protective and moisturizing cream. At night, repair them with creams formulated from glycolic acid—a must for improving skin texture and tone. If still the symptoms do not improve then please get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist. Fungal infections and eczema have to be ruled out then. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you for your response. I am currently trying your suggestions.