Peeling skin on palms

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Peeling skin on palms

I have skin peeling on both pams and no known reason. What is this a symptom of?
  • Dry Skin (2 replies):
    The palm of my hands are constantly dry and peeling i ha...[more]
  • skin peeling (1 replies):
    I would be greatful if you could help me the skin on m...[more]
  • Peeling (1 replies):
    What do you believe the cause is for peeling and drying ...[more]
  • Dermatology question! (1 replies):
    My 7 year old son has peeling skin on the palms of both ...[more]
  • dermatological (1 replies):
    skin peeling on hands and feet? what is the cause?
Peeling hands can be due to contact dermatitis and contact with harsh detergents, soaps and lotions. Sometimes cold, dry air can cause  peeling and dermatitis or fungal infections can also cause peeling.

Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. For mild-moderate symptoms a weak steroid may be used, whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid.

Symptoms can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin. During the day, hydrate and protect hands with a protective and moisturizing cream. At night, repair them with creams formulated from glycolic acid—a must for improving skin texture and tone. If still the symptoms do not improve then please get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist. Fungal infections and eczema have to be ruled out then. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.