Peeling upper lip

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Peeling upper lip

I've been suffering from peeling lips since the past few weeks..the skin on and around my upper lip keeps peeling of ..i do not have chapped lips and my bottom lip is perfectly fine...can anyone help with treatment suggestions?

Vaswati
Two possibilities are there.Firstly,It can be due to vit B deficiency.Take some vitamin B complex for some days and see if your symptoms improve.
Secondly,it can be due cheilitis(Inflammation of the skin on and around the lips).

Avoid licking the lips,drink plenty of water and do not apply lipstick or other cosmetic products for some days. Use a humidifier to moisturize the air in your home and apply shea butter or Vaseline on your lips.You can also use a homemade ointment mixed from 1 tsp glycerine, 1 tsp lemon juice and 1 tsp castor oil. Spread on lips overnight, refrigerating the leftovers for future use. Eat foods high in calcium, magnesium and flaxseed oil. If a week of compresses and emollients don't do the trick, you can add over-the-counter 1 percent hydrocortisone ointment to your regimen.

If the condition still persists or there is deep cracking in the region of your mouth,then pls consult your doctor as it can be due to infection(Angular Cheilitis).

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Warm regards.