Dermatology Expert Forum
Pemphigus Vulgaris
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Pemphigus Vulgaris

Dear Doctor:

My 74 yr. old aunt was just diagnosed with Pemphigus Vulgaris.  At first her doctor, a dermatologist, thought it was seborrehic dermatitis, but after over a year of trying different creams and shampoos he did a biopsy since it had spread to her face and mouth.  He said she's in the second level or stage of this disease and started her on Prednisone 60 mg.  She doesn't live in a large city and I'm worried the physician might not be up-to-date on the best treatment for this.  My other concern is that she told me this rash started after she started taking Monopril and got much worse when her other doctor, an internist, doubled the dose.  I know this is a very rare disease and I'm just heartsick over everything I've read about it.  What has caught my eye is that I read on one Web site where another doctor said to watch for ACE inhibitors.  In your experience, have you ever seen Monopril as being the cause of this auto-immune disease?  Any information you could provide would be very much appreciated.

Thank You,

KatieDee