Penile Angioedema

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Penile Angioedema

As of the last few months, I have been experiencing angioedema of the penis after sexual intercourse or masturbation.  The swelling usually takes about 3 dys to completely go down. I never had this proble before... should I be worried?  How serious is this?  
Angioedema is called acute if it happens on just a single occasion, perhaps lasting for a few hours or even a few days.  The commonest cause for a single isolated attack is probably some kind of infection, viruses are usually blamed as we can never be sure if an immune response to microbe in the environment has taken an odd course and produced this kind of response.  This explanation is thought to be especially likely when this kind of episode occurs in children.  When the history includes only a single attack of angioedema, or attacks have occurred only rarely, then allergy investigations will probably be unhelpful.

It is when angioedema persists, and especially when it consists of frequent but separate attacks, that the possibility of an environmental trigger such as a food or a drug must be considered.

You should see your doctor about this. It could become much more serious.
Unexplained swelling can be due to chafing or angioedema. Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. Also wear cotton undergarments. Application of mild corticosteroid cream and oral antiinflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful. If the symptoms are severe then it will be best to consult a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

One common cause of localized angio-odema of penis is latex rubber (Condoms) in those who are allergic to it. ok?