Dermatology Expert Forum
Penile Rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Penile Rash

About 2 months ago I developed a rash on the tip of my penis that was red and painless. Of course I freaked and thought I had and std  so I was checked for herpes and HIV at 2 weeks and six weeks.  The rash never got worse or anything so I just ignored it.  About 2 weeks ago I started having unprotected sex with a female coworker.  The fourth time we had sex which was about a week ago I woke up and the same rash was sensitive to the touch and it looked like I had swelling on the bottom of my penis, however I am a very paranoid person and the swelling could have been my imagination.  Later that day I noticed a red spot on the right side of the head of my penis.  Immediately I started to worry, the girl said she hadnt had sex in 2 months and she has had no symptoms and that sexual encounter was protected. I asked her to go get tested, we went and she was tested for herpes and HIV, I went to my doctor to show him and he prescribed antibitotics.  Each day after that the rash on the right side of the head of my penis was growing, it looks like a red ring and it is skin color in the middle.  It keeps growing everyday, however I have experienced no pain with that rash, the only pain is on the tip of my penis which had seemed to be getting less intense as the days go by.  I know if i get tested for stds now it might be to early, so I was wondering what you thought.  Also I have a swollen lymph node on my neck, I am very paranoid when it comes to stds so could the lymph node be due to anxiety? Thanks for your help.
Your rash sounds like irritation to me, not an STD.  Did your doctor say what the antibiotics were for?  Maybe you should consult a doctor skilled in STD diagnosis, like a dermatologist or an STD clinic.  That's the best way to get a diagnosis and alleviate your paranoia.  Avoiding unprotected sex might also be a good idea, even though it doesn't sound as though you have an STD now.  Remember not to pick or rub the area, so any doctor you see will be able to tell what's going on.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff