Penile Yeast Infection - Proper Method to treat and Cure

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I went to the doctor because I was have symptoms of what appeared to be a male penile yeast infection.  I was experiencing red, irritated skin on my penis head, along with itching, stinging and overall dis comfort.  I also had a few patches of red rash on my left inner thigh, which also itched.  The doctor said it is a yeast infection and gave me 150 mg Diflucan.  I came back a week later to follow up and the skin on my penis was drying up and peeling/flakying off.  The Dr said it looks like its getting better and gave me another 150 mg Diflucan for safe measure.  

Its been about 9 days since I took my first Diflucan.

The symptoms of itching and burning have gone away and the patches on my inner thigh have also nearly disappeared (along with the redness on my penis head.  I believe I am getting better.  However, my question is, should I be putting something to moisturize the dry peeling skin on my penis head or should I be letting it be as dry as possible and having the dead skin fall off to then heal? The skin gets super dry and looks gross now.  I plan on seeing a speicalist (dermatologist) this week to get another opinion as well (as the doctor mentioned above is a general doctor).  Can I put coconut oil on it to make it heal faster?  Any suggestions on what I should do to properly heal this would be greatly appreciated.  

I would like to mention that we never cultured the infection to 100 percent gaurantee that it is a yeast infection, but was decided on due to the symptoms described.  I believe I got it from having sex with my girlfriend.  However, I was also camping and swimming in rivers the week before, which maybe I got it from doing something outdoors?

Any help would be appreciated.

It can be irritation or dermatitis skin after the fungal infection. You need to get it examined from a dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis. Treatment is diagnosis specific.
You should also maintain hygiene and try to keep the area clean and dry, wear loose-fitting cotton clothing. Also use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid deodorant / cosmetics. You can also use calamine lotion or cream with zinc oxide paste applied directly to wet skin after bathing.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.