Dermatology Expert Forum
Penile scar?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Penile scar?

I'm a 33 y.o. uncircumcised man who has had an attack of guttate psoriasis 2 years ago.

I was gripping too hard when I masturbated about a month ago ( june 7th to be exact). I received what I think you would call an abrasion on the shaft of the penis, the dorsal side. There came some blood and a crust formed that fell off 9 days later. Since then the area, 5 x 6 mm has been pale and seemes to be slightly depressed compared to the surrounding skin. The area apperes a little shiny. No scaling, pain, itching or discharge fro the wound. It is not even redish as in inflammatory respons.

Here are my questions
1. Will the pigmentation come back, and if so, how long will it take, when shall I give up hope?
2. Considering the bleeding and the slight depressed area, was the wound too deep for "normal" healing? Will there be some kind of scaring? Will the "depression" return to normal, and if so, how long will it take?
3. Will this be a weaker spot om the penis and do I need to extra careful having sex? How long do I have to wait to have sex again?
4. What, all ideas are welcome, can I do to optimize the outcome?

Thank you for a great forum.
Don't give up hope--returning pigmentation can take months.
Can't say for certain, but the kind of injury you describe usually doesn't leave a permanent scar.
You don't have to wait at all.  Injuries don;t cause permanent weakening.
Leave the spot alone, and wait.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I had crotherapy for molluscum on the shaft of my penis. It scabbed over and left a white scar mark. It takes ages for the skin to return to normal (mine has taken about 2 months to fade, I reckon 1 more month and it will not be noticable). I think penile skin just takes longer to heal fully because it is more sensitive. Best of luck.
A related discussion, penile scars was started.