Dermatology Expert Forum
Penis Irritation

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Penis Irritation

In early June I broke out with a rash on my penis.  This was scary b/c I had recieved unprotected oral sex 3 days before.  This rash consisted of swelling of the corona on the head of my pens.  It was iflammed and sensitive to friction.  It lasted about 6 weeks before the swelling totaly subsided and about 9-10 weeks before the sensitivity subsided.  It has been a little itchy off and on since then.

I took action 2 days after it appeared overnite back in June.  I saw my GP, who said he didn't think it was Herpes or an STD due to lack of blisters/open lesions.  Said it was most likely some dermatosis.  Prescribed OTC Hydrocortisone with minimal affect.

Saw NP at Planned Parenthood 6 weeks after.  She said it looked "normal".  Did not suggest any testing.

8 weeks after it first appeard in June, my dermatologist examined me and review some pictures of what it looked like during the duration of the outbreak. I didn't mention the sexual encounter, still under the impression it was dermatosis.  He said it looked like some contact or irritant dermatitis.  Prescribed Cloderm.

Friday, 9/22/06, it flared up within the space of 10 hours.  Swollen, irritated and sensitive.  The entire circumferance of corona is affected, like before.  Most noticeable on the top-center of head and on both sides (symmetrical).  Not so much underneath.

It has not been a problem for weeks now, except for the before mentioned itching.

Q's:
1.  Should I have mentioned the sexual encounter?  Or did he not ask because he was not considering STD the cause of my problem?

2.  Can dermatitis come back like this? (though it never completely went away)

3.  Would Herpes cause this?  (Read that it will only reoccur on one side of the penis - mine is both.  True?)

4.  Keep using Cloderm and ignore this?

Need to move on!
1. Should I have mentioned the sexual encounter? Or did he not ask because he was not considering STD the cause of my problem?
Yes, you should have mentioned it, but I doubt the diagnosis and treatment would have been different.

2. Can dermatitis come back like this? (though it never completely went away)
Yes.

3. Would Herpes cause this? (Read that it will only reoccur on one side of the penis - mine is both. True?)
It does not sound anything like herpes, an opinion shared by the practitioners who saw you in person.

4. Keep using Cloderm and ignore this?
Yes.  You should check with your dermatologist as to duration--sometimes people keep up the steroid when there's no rash left and end up perpetuating redness that would otherwise go away.  When you speak with your dermatologist next, I recommend that you mention your concern about the sexual encounter, to better allay your worries.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I dont believe a herpes outbreak lasts 9-10weeks,it's something other than an std causing your penis irritation.
Here some are pics of the original rash that I showed my derm.  It does not look as bad this time around.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/alvarez1981/DSC00102.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/alvarez1981/DSC00101.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/alvarez1981/DSC00088.jpg
Irritation.

Dr. Rockoff
i recently shaved my pubic hair to to get ready for sexual intercourse but when i didn't have any intercourse a great amount of red bumps invaded the area where i shaved my pubic hair. the next day after a day at a friends pool i noticed a very serious rash on the head of my penis and was experiencing great burning when touching the head of my  penis. and it turned out that i didn't have any sexual activity that night so an STD is out of the question. However my pain is persisting what should i do?
hey doc how bout some help man