Dermatology Expert Forum
Penis Swelling

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Penis Swelling
I am a male 52 years old and I woke up one morning about a ten days ago and my penis was swelled mainly just under the head and on the back side of the penis. It's like a bag or pouch of something that's puffy it's only tender if you squeeze the swollen area other wise it don't hurt. The pouch is not hard its soft. I am circumcised. I have no blood in urine, no discharge, no trouble urinating, no fever, no open sores, no dry skin and I fill fine other wise. I did put neosporin on my penis and the swelling went down with in about 5 days to almost normal. I am not sure if the neosporin did anything but that was the only thing I could think of to do. Then a few days later it swelled up again. During this time frame I did not have sex or masterbate. I have been in a faithful relationship for 25 years and have sex about once a week and masterbate once in a while. I don't know if I should go to dermatologist or urologist for this problem. Of course I'm thinking the worst.
Don't think the worst.  I can't even imagine any cause beyond irritation of some sort.  I suggest seeing a dermatologist.  If the swelling occurs before or between visits, a photograph may help.  I've seen patients with intermittent swellings (penis, eye, etc.) that have neither specific cause  nor much significance.  As to why this began now, that may have no answer, but it's still unlikely to be anything of serious concern.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff