Dermatology Expert Forum
Penis acne

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Penis acne

I have what appears to be acne, or bumps, on the shaft of my penis. The problem started when I was a teenager, but I was too embarassed to seek help. I ignored the problem for years, but recently it has gotten worse. Sometimes a bump will get irritated and grow large and reddish, with puss inside and can be popped. Since the problem started well before sexual intercouse I ruled out STDS. The small bumps cover the whole penis, but none on the head, and are harder to see when I am not erect. When the skin is stretched out it appears scally and the bumps are clearly noticable, like my pores have risen. What is this condition? Is there a topical treatment or something that may help? I have been so worried lately and I think the stress has made the condition worse. -TDELP
These are cysts.  They are a normal part of penile anatomy.  It is time for you to overcome your embarrassment and see a doctor who can tell you this for sure.  Then you can stop thinking about and being self-conscious about these bumps, which belong there and should stay there.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff