Dermatology Expert Forum
Penis chafe/irritation

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Penis chafe/irritation
In mid-January I developed an irritation on the left side of my penis.  It's below the head but above the circumcision line in the foreskin area.  I had recently switched to boxers, and this started the chafing they caused me.  I switched back to briefs, but the irritation has persisted for the past 2 months straight.  There is no itching, burning, flaking, scabbing, sores, or bumps.  The area is a red line area above and roughly parallel to the circumcision line.  It's an area that naturally chafes when I walk and even sometimes when I'm sitting.  I went and saw my doctor and she prescribed Elocon.  After an examination she thought it was a basic skin irritation, not a STD.  I've used Elocon with mixed results.  It soothes the area, but it also made it a good deal redder, and the irritation did not go away entirely.  I was also wrapping cotton or tissue down there to prevent chafing.  I've cut out all sexual activity (I have not had a new sexual partner in over a year) to reduce any instances of friction.  While it's gotten a bit better, it's still not gone away.  A day of chafing while I walk, or sleeping wrong will reaggravate it all over again.  It seems very touchy, and almost like a rash that won't heal.  I'd like to hear more about what it possibly sounds like, and anything I can do to help get rid of it.  2 months straight is a long time to have to walk gingerly!  Thanks.
I can't tell for sure from what you've written, but it sounds like you have skin that's red but lacks any other symptoms of discomfort.  If so, then you're better off not using cortisone creams, however mild, because they can prepetuate redness.  

The question is not just whether you need to change underwear, walk gingerly, or avoid sex, but whether you need to do anything special at all.  Perhaps you can and should just ignore the redness and let it take care of itself.

I advise you to see a doctor and find out.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I have had the same issue for about a month.  It may be a bit worse because I have same chaffing and redness but when it looks like it is healing and I have sex it is just as bad as it was before sex.  I thought it was just "rug burn" or somthing like that but it has been a month and it doesnt really heal.  I get a thin white skin that looks like it is healing but it rubs off and has an odor.  What do you think?
A related discussion, Chemical Peel was started.
A related discussion, scared and confused was started.
A related discussion, bump on side of penis was started.
A related discussion, penis chafing was started.
A related discussion, chafing was started.