Perineum irritation / anus irritation

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Perineum irritation / anus irritation

All, I have been dealing with a lot of redness and a lot of irritation in my perineum and anus area.  I have seen the dermatologist 3 times and my GP once.  I have been put on 4 different creams (Aquaphor, Protopic, mix of cortizone/zinc oxide/and a mild steroid, and Baifine) in that order.  This last time it was actually worse after using the mix of cream so he took a look at my prescription medicines I was on in his book.

I take 40 mg Simvastatin once a day and Elmiron once a day.  He found that simvastatin had a lot of reported problems with rashes.  So he immediately told me to stop using it and prescribed me Predisone for 5 days.  

I am now on my 4th day and I will say I am much better.  However in the perineum I am still a bit raw, most of the redness has left my anus area with some mild irritation at the top of my butt crack.  The only thing I have found to relieve that itch as been topical topicort ointment.  However nothing really helps my perineum.

My question to you smart folks is.....I really think my problem was related to the Simvistatin however I am wondering why I am not healing as fast as I would like to think I should.  What is the best thing I can do to help my perineum area??  Should I just leave it alone?  Are the steroid creams and ointments just making matters worse?

The dermatologist could not really explain the problem, however the symptoms remained persistent no matter what we tried until I quit the simvastatin.  He did say it was not Herpes or anything bad and felt I would have a 100% recovery.

I see a lot of post on these boards, most of us are worried sick, I am really wondering if I am coming to a conclusion that the worrying is almost as bad as the problems.  Will anxiety actually elevate symptoms?

Woo....sorry for the long post, I just want to help others and myself that have unexplained stuff going on.........

Is it uncommon at all for 3 different professionals to look and examine stuff like this and be wrong?  I just sure would like some reassurance.

One more quick question.  Is it safe to use topicort .25 on the buttocks area?
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers