Periocular dermatitis question

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Periocular dermatitis question

I have a question about what I believe is periocular dermatitis:

Brief case history: It started a few months ago with vicious chapped lips, nothing seemed to help. Then after about two months the skin around my lips became super-dry and inflamed, and reddish. About a month after that the rash started creeping up and blotching my cheeks and eyes, so I went to the dermatologist. He just had to look at me to diagnose me with perioral dermatitis and give me a prescription for 12 weeks of Tetracycline.

Well, I think my case has progressed from perioral dermatitis to periocular dermatitis, or possibly I just have both. My eyes are the worst part for sure, and apparently men are more susceptible to periocular, so that makes sense.

I've been taking the antibiotics (which if I'm not mistaken are used as an anti-inflammatory in these cases) for about a month now, and it was starting to seem a little better. Then I missed literally one day's worth of pills (two doses) and woke up with my left eye completely swollen shut.

I have experienced swelling overnight before, but nothing close to the severity of this. I took an antibiotic and went back to sleep, being sure to elevate my head and sleep on the opposite side of the swollen eye. It is a little bit better now (six hour later), but not too great. Still very hard to keep my eye open, and the upper lid is wicked swollen.

So my question...is this typical for periocular dermatitis, or could there be something else going on? Could one missed day of pills cause such an intense, immediate reaction? And what can I do to reduce the swelling if this occurs again?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan Knaus