Dermatology Expert Forum
Perioral Dermatitis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Perioral Dermatitis

well during the summer i went to my doctor and thought i had cold sores but it turned out i have perioral dermitis but a very mild one... just some small white bubbles right at the corner of my mouth.. its actually hard to see....

my doc told me it was not contagious and i read on the internet that it was not contagious... but i have a couple questions...

my gf went to her dermatologist and she has perioral on her foot and he didnt give her anything said it would go away on its own... and my doctor gave me some creme that i read up on and found out it wouldnt do much.... now i have a couple questions because i am just confused:

1) me and my gf have been making out you could say and she hasnt gotten anything around her mouth ... is there a chance that she would? in other wourds is perioral dermitis contagious?

2) me and my gf had been fooling aorund and i performed oral sex on her would she have anything to worry about? ( this is actualy the reason i am posting this question, please tell me everything possible, tryed to look for it on internet but nothing to be found about the subject.. thank you ) can i give it to her vagina?

3) should i go see another dermatologist / doctor so they might be able to give me something to make it go away?

4) recently i have been getting these little red marks on my hip area on the left and right where the legs bend when you sit... i dont have any marks on my crotchal area.. is that something different? should i have it checked out?

thank you for your response
Perioral dermatitis is a non-contagious eruption, so you can't give it to anyone.  The hip and leg rash would have to be something else, so if it bothers you, you should check it out.  Whatever your girlfriend has, it can't be perioral dermatitis, which is perioral, around the mouth.

I think that for clarity and reassurance, you should either see another doctor or else ask the first one to re-evaluate you and answer your questions definitively.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
I have been getting perioral derm. every winter for the past three years. In January I got my first case, and I now have my second. It has never been this bad before. It has taken over my face from my eyes down. I know there is not instant fix to this, but what else can I do. I am taking a Z-pack, cut all moistureizers, washing with cool water and dove soap... what else can I do?