Perioral dermatitis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Perioral dermatitis

Hi Doctor,

I am 22 years old and became affected with my first case of perioral dermatitis roughly 3 years ago. It was treated with a topical cream and minocycline. It came back a few times, but I was always able to get rid of it on my own with the use of the topical cream. About 3 weeks ago, it came back and I had my micocycline perscription filled. I thought it was getting better, but now it is worse than it was before. Is it possible thta it will get worse before it gets better? When I got flare ups before, the cream/antibiotics would usually make it go away within a week- this is the longest it has stayed for. Should I be worried that this time it may take much longer? Do you think it is wise to make an appointment with my Dr to switch up my medication? Could it be my body has "adjusted" to the minocycline?

Thank you very much for any advice,

Erica
Perioral dermatitis like acne is a chronic papulopustular and eczematous facial dermatitis. It mostly effects women and appear around the nose, mouth and eyes. Treatment consists of oral antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs. A mild soap or soap substitute, such as Dove or Cetaphil should be used for washing. Scrubbing should be avoided.

Treatment includes antibiotics like tetracycline or minocycline. Hence please get it prescribed from your dermatologist. I hope it helps. Take care and regards.