Permanent Bruise...is this possible?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Permanent Bruise...is this possible?

I've heard there's no such thing as a permanent bruise but I have one. I'm 24 yrs. and when I was approx 10 yrs. my sister and I were fighting and she bit my toe. I have several purple tooth marks in the side, bottom and under nail of toe. This was 14 years ago, and sometimes is still sore and very dark bruises. If this is not a permanent bruise what could it be??

The blood under the skin which causes the discoloration of bruising should be totally reabsorbed by the body in three weeks or less.  A bruise cannot persist for so long. This can be due to hyperpigmentation skin.

This darkening occurs when an excess of melanin, the brown pigment that produces normal skin color, forms deposits in the skin. I suggest you to get it checked from a dermatologist.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

Thanks for the info. I dont think it is serious enough to get checked out. Kinda ugly, but not sure if its worth the trip and cash to see a dermatologist. And still not sure how the bite could do this...super wierd :) thanks