Permanent Damage from a Sunburn?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Permanent Damage from a Sunburn?

Hi everyone,

Two weekends ago (march 26th) I decided to lay out and get a little bit of sun. I struggle with acne and my face had finally got about 90% clear, so i figured this would be a good time to get some sun of my face bc i wouldn't have to wear makeup to cover up my acne. I had been using clearsil Ultra twice a day for about a week before i layed out and i've been using benza clin for about 2 1/2 years as a spot treatment, and somtimes i a thin layer over a area like my forehead, chin or skin on the sides of my nose (over where ppl get laugh lines), i believe it's called nasal labia fold, lol. Anyways, When i layed out I decided to just put sunscreen 25 over the tops of my cheeks and nose, bc thats usually where I burn the worst. Well, i was out in the sun for about 3 1/2 hourse and when i came back in i have TERRIBLE tan lines on my face. I was burnt everywhere but my upper half of my cheeks. I had minor swelling and th next couple days i noticed what seemed to be extremely small blisters on my right side nasal labia fold. The blisters weren't bad at all, it kinda just looked like roughed/wrinkly skin there, like it was about to peel. Well over the next week my face healed fine, but that one spot kept peeling and cracking and was still RED. OK, as of this past FRiday it's been two weeks, and while this spot/red area has gotten better (stopped peeling and is less red) it hasn't gone away. I'm really worried that i've somehow permanently damaged my skin there. I'm very fair on my face, but my body tans very well. How long should I wait before I go to the dermatologist? I've heard you should wit 6 months, is that true. I've had many summers of sunburns (not bad) on my face and i have never had this problem, the only new factor is Clearsil. I'm just really scared, I'm a skin freak and I think a main factor of beauty is your skin, I hope i haven't screwed mine up :(. This is depressing, Help please.
Since you have been using the antiacne preparations, so you should try avoiding direct sun. Apply cool compresses on the area and take bath with cool(not very cold) water. Do not scrub your skin or shave your skin and use a soft towel and gently pat your skin dry. Also use a sunburn Over-The-Counter remedy containing aloe vera and a light moisturizer or a dusting powder to relieve chafing. You can apply silver sulfadiazine (1% cream) on the skin except face and see if it helps. If the symptoms still persist then please consult a dermatologist.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

Well, everywhere has gone back to normal looking skin, except that spot near my nose....It's still freakin red. I just don't know what the problem is...I read somewhere that when your skin is red still after awhile from a sunburn it means that you've burned multiple layers of skin and it will take awhile to heal....I'm just frustrated bc summer is coming up and I'm afraid to go in the sun in fear of this crap happening again. FML.