Permanent bruise?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Permanent bruise?

About 8 or 9 months ago, I was playing softball. I wasn't paying attention..and I was hit by the fast-moving ball directly on my shin. They almost rushed me to the hospital in fear that it was something serious..a DVT or whatever it's called. Anyways...I refused to go to the hospital..and I iced it for a couple days..and the pain went away. 9 months later, I still have a brownish bruise mark on my shin. I've been told permanent bruises aren't possible..and I'm worried it could be something serious. Any suggestions? And is it possible to remove the bruise via plastic surgery? Thanks.

The blood under the skin which causes the discoloration of bruising should be totally reabsorbed by the body in three weeks or less.

In your case,as the symptoms are persisting for more than 8-9 months,so it may be due to formation of hematoma because of blood trapped in tissues.This blood may need to be drained. Less commonly, it may develop calcium deposits at the injury site in a process called heterotopic ossification.This is more serious.

I feel that you should consult a surgeon and take an opinion from him.Also get the possibility of infection and ligament tear ruled out by means of x-ray of the part.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Avatar n tn
Thanks for the help! I'll definitely look into your suggestions :)
I fell in may a.d still have a bruise onmy arm doc said its scared bruise is that normal
I fell on my rock hammer while on a geology mapping excursion and got a nasty bruise on my abdomen, that was in mid July.  I still have a light bruise looking mark there. It just looks like a faded bruise, I hope it's nothing too serious, I kinda like it.
Has your bruise gone away?  I also had a fastball hit me in the leg - just above my inner ankle - and the bruise is still there and still hurts over 5 years later!  I also didn't seek medical attention for over a week.  Thought it was just a simple bruise!  I've had Drs tell me that a major vein was damaged and that the large amount of blood that pooled under my skin took so long to re-absorb that it basically stained by skin.  I'm going in again next week because lately when I exercise my bruise throbs and sometimes swells up.  Hoping to get this resolved.  I hope yours has gone away by now!