Persistent Oily/Greasy Patch Of Hair

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Persistent Oily/Greasy Patch Of Hair

I seem to have developed an overly oily/greasy/stringy patch of hair. At first I thought I hadn't rinsed thoroughly enough and thought nothing of it. Then after the 2nd and 3rd day... it will not go away, no matter what. I made doubly sure I rinsed it thoroughly, and then honestly started to panic because it's very noticible and uncomfortable. I tried White Vinegar and then tried Dish Detergent and still nothing... It feels down right sticky to the touch and clumps in that area (back left of the crown of my head). It not seems to be worsening and the area is getting larger. I have checked and had someone check for lice.. nothing. I do not, nor have I ever used products. My usual routine until now has been shampoo, conditioner, blow dry. I am desperate for help on this.. I have always had very healthy hair that has been baby soft.. please help. I have also checked with a toll free nurses line to no avail... no other symptoms, no itching or redness (aside from maybe when I agitated the area by combing through it too much or touching it too much trying to figure it out...) Please, please, help.
I have the same thing.  Same symptons and tried the same remedies, short of dish detergent.  It came on suddenly.  Washed like crazy.  Used powder to lessen appearance of symptoms.  Wonder if too much Biotin, which has been great for soft hair in a dry environment.  Will stop taking for awhile.  This is an old posting, did anything ever work?

So sorry it happened to you!

Same thing just happened to me 3 days ago. This is the second time it is happening. The first time I was 20 weeks pregnant when a bunch of the hair in one spot in the back of my head got like this. I washed like crazy, saw a doctor, noone knew what to do. In about two weeks it went away like I never had it. I blamed everything on hormones since I was pregnant and forgot about it. And now it came back!!! 4 years later and I am not pregnant this time. I am shocked!!! I do not know what to do, I guess i'll wait this time to see if resolves on it's own and if not will be seeing a doctor for hormonal attack... WEIRD!!!!
Forgot to add, after the hair issue resolved the first time, that particular area started to wave, the rest of my hair is and has always been straight. Now the greasy spot is in a different area. So bizzar
My hair developed this greasy spot a few years ago. I'm now 36 yrs old and have dyed my hair with henna for more than 5 yrs now. I stiLl have not figured out what causes this greasy spot andhave tried everything from diet to exersize to remedies and othing worked! I started using original tea tree oil shampoo and normal conditioner as usual and its gone! The more I'm using it, the better my hair is and it is all that works. Wash ur hair as normal with this shampoo, leave it I for 3 min, rinse ad condition as normal all over with any conditioner. I'm happy to sayi found something after 6 years that works :-)