Dermatology Expert Forum
Petechiae

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Petechiae

Lower legs are bothered by petechiae.  What kind of doctor do I need to confer with.  Lower legs have the bleeding capillaries looking like paprika sprinkled all over.  This has been going on for about 17 or 18 years.  Some doctors say it is because I am taking coumadin (since 1987) but the condition started before that.  It is progressing pretty fast right now.  Was once diagnosed as Schamberg's Disease, but only by 1 dermatologist.  It doesn't hurt, but is tingly when new places erupt, and was all around the ankle area and just a little way up the leg, but is now getting pretty close to the knee area.  After the redness is there for awhile it turns blue/brown.  I would like to find someone who knew what it really was, what causes it, and what to do about it.
Thank you,
Lovey
You are doing a good job of describing Schamberg's disease, an annoying but unimportant condition characterized by tiny re-brown spots on the legs.  Cause is unknown, course chronic, treatment unavailable, but systemic significance nil.  I think you should take the word of the dermatologist you saw, or perhaps get another opinion if you need reassurance.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Thank you very much, Dr. Rockoff.  I guess I may as well stop fretting about the way my lower legs look and wear hosiery or use Derma-Blend Cover Creme.
Amen.

Dr. Rockoff